Looks like it might be about time to welcome Doc back!

PimpMario

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Absolutely!

Some in my echo chamber think it is weird if we fired him.  But I don't think it is because he has a lot to offer as an assistant and obviously has experience which can be drawn upon. 

Edit: plus he wants to be here so that means he is still bleeds red.

Edited by PimpMario

Just now, PimpMario said:

Some in my echo chamber think it is weird if we fired him.  But I don't think it is because he has a lot to offer as an assistant and obviously has experience which can be drawn upon. 

Edit: plus he wants to be here so that means he is still bleeds red.

I don't think it's weird.  There are quite a few reasons why he might take this step.  Money is an obvious one.  Another could be that he has worked under Hoiberg before.  He might want to take on a smaller role.  Plus... as you have said... he loves and has always loved Nebraska.  That going away presser was one of the hardest I have ever seen.

Doc's teams always played some hard-a** defense (usually out of necessity) because there wasn't a lot of gifted offensive players. Also, anyone who understands the culture surrounding Husker basketball to the degree Doc does would be a HUGE asset. Then throw in the fact he's had a working relationship with Fred and I'd say it's a No-Brainer... 

41 minutes ago, GATA said:

No offense intended, but why would he be intimidated by Doc?

Many coaches wouldn't bring a relatively beloved former head coach back as assistant.  Docs hire will definitely raise some eyebrows and get media cover unlike if Hoiberg hired someone who didnt have Nebraska ties.

Edit: Also Sadler was our most successful coach since Nee.

Edited by PimpMario

34 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Many coaches wouldn't bring a relatively beloved former head coach back as assistant.  Docs hire will definitely raise some eyebrows and get media cover unlike if Hoiberg hired someone who didnt have Nebraska ties.

Edit: Also Sadler was our most successful coach since Nee.

I just don’t see it. It’s not like fans would want him back as head coach so Hoiberg won’t be looking over his shoulder. 

I think this speaks a lot more about Sadler than it does Hoiberg. It takes some real humility to come back and be an assistant where he once was head coach. 

1 minute ago, GATA said:

I think this speaks a lot more about Sadler than it does Hoiberg. It takes some real humility to come back and be an assistant where he once was head coach. 

This and was Doc really the most successful since Nee?  That said IF he is coming back to be the defensive guru I am thrilled.

I don't think it's weird.  There are quite a few reasons why he might take this step.  Money is an obvious one.  Another could be that he has worked under Hoiberg before.  He might want to take on a smaller role.  Plus... as you have said... he loves and has always loved Nebraska.  That going away presser was one of the hardest I have ever seen.
I just read that he would take a cut in pay prolly. He made 350,000 At SMU.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, colhusker said:

This and was Doc really the most successful since Nee?  That said IF he is coming back to be the defensive guru I am thrilled.

Arguably, yes. Arguably no. Hoiberg is the 4th coach post-Nee, so there are only 3 candidates in the running: Collier, Doc and Tim Miles.  Collier definitely wasn't the guy.  Miles had better individual seasons and was clearly the most successful recruiter.  Doc had some moments.  Doc certainly had the best record against in-state rival.  Miles and Collier sported identical 1-6 records while Doc broke even at 3-3.  But I'd say it's a tough argument to make that Doc was more successful than Miles overall.  I wouldn't make that argument.

We might be trend setting.  Has a Power 5 head coach, after being fired, gone back to that university as an assistant?  I bet not, and we, as a fan base, should be really proud.  Both of how Doc was treated here, and the character of coaches who are hired.

Notwithstanding the coach who used the c word heading out the door.  Warranted as it might be...

Edited by cipsucks

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Arguably, yes. Arguably no. Hoiberg is the 4th coach post-Nee, so there are only 3 candidates in the running: Collier, Doc and Tim Miles.  Collier definitely wasn't the guy.  Miles had better individual seasons and was clearly the most successful recruiter.  Doc had some moments.  Doc certainly had the best record against in-state rival.  Miles and Collier sported identical 1-6 records while Doc broke even at 3-3.  But I'd say it's a tough argument to make that Doc was more successful than Miles overall.  I wouldn't make that argument.

I think you could say Doc did more with less.  But overall more successful, I agree with you.  Has to be Miles.

With that being the case we've seen improvement with each of our last two coaches (Miles>Doc>Collier). That trend should continue, with Doc playing a key role!

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Norm guess that is where I was going with it.