2019 - Transfer- Maurice Calloo -> Oregon St

hhcmatt

There should be about 4-5 other players visiting with him this weekend. 

Hopefully he realizes second chances don't come around very often and he takes full advantage of this one. 

On whether or not he could hypothetically play for us next year, a waiver may be submitted. Will be something to watch.

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Dismissed from Okie St this winter along with 2 other teammates because they went out, bought BB/pellet guns, and started shooting cars and windows.

In his spare time he's a 6'8" 200# forward from Canada who played at Oak Hill Academy 

At least they bought the guns...

From his Rivals story when he committed to OSU...

Choosing the Cowboys over Ole Miss, Illinois, SMU and St. John’s, Calloo is a versatile power forward that can defend his position and has a budding offensive skillset that would allow for him to be used out to the 3-point line. He has a strong frame, an improving jumper and quality athleticism at the basket.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/oklahoma-state-lands-2018-big-maurice-calloo

4 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Interesting.... guess we'll just have to trust Fred and Matt here. And our lack of any bigs factors 

Assuming he doesn't get deported as he facing charges in OK I'm not sure if he would be eligible mid-semester or would have to sit out a year.

St Johns was looking at him last year so the connection was already established there.  It's tempting to point the finger at Michael Weathers here but who knows.

It's pretty important that we bring in some strong character guys because we're also going to bring in guys with histories.

Just now, hhcmatt said:

Assuming he doesn't get deported as he facing charges in OK I'm not sure if he would be eligible mid-semester or would have to sit out a year.

St Johns was looking at him last year so the connection was already established there.  It's tempting to point the finger at Michael Weathers here but who knows.

It's pretty important that we bring in some strong character guys because we're also going to bring in guys with histories.

Weathers missed OSU's season-opening game against Charlotte following a two-month suspension for his September arrest after reportedly stealing a woman's wallet at a Stillwater bar. Weathers pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of knowingly concealing stolen property in November and quickly rejoined the team.

Jones had missed nine of the past 10 games, with six of those for two separate disciplinary suspensions. Boynton said after Monday's 73-69 loss to Baylor that Jones's status with the team was "up in the air."

Calloo, an Ontario, Canada, native, had no previous issues that were made public.

Sounds like he was hanging around some bad eggs on that team, hopefully he learned his lesson. Doesn't sound like he has a history of this behavior at least. 

In terms of rebounding and shooting, Calloo seems like the most like answer to the question "What would it look like if Ed Morrow actually started shooting 3s?"

He'd certainly fill a need in terms of size and rebounding and if he ends up here hopefully we can teach him to shoot.

Write up when he committed to Ok State..

"The next guy in line in Maurice Calloo, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward from Huntington Prep in West Virginia. Some notable names have come through Huntington Prep, including Andrew Wiggins in 2013. Calloo also spent time at Oak Hill Academy, which has one of the most prestigious basketball programs in the nation.

Calloo is a three-star recruit and ranks inside the top 50 at his position. He chose Oklahoma State, though he received offers from Illinois (take that, Brad Underwood), Florida, Kansas State and Mississippi State, among others. Many teams were requesting his services because of his versatility; he’s not a traditional face-up 4.

Calloo has a good stroke from outside, and his release/form looks fluid. A lot of guys his size have major flaws in their mechanics, but young players, no matter how big they are, are now taught to shoot. He’s no exception.

Although he doesn’t have exceptional handles, he’s more comfortable dribbling than most forwards his size. He won’t bring the ball up the floor, but he’s a guy who can create a little bit before dishing to a teammate outside.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was his strength and sturdiness. Players in the Big 12 will be bigger and more physical than the guys he played against in high school, but having played at elite programs like Huntington Prep and Oak Hill Academy, his competition was better than your typical high schooler’s.

Calloo will be tough to move off of his spot, and he finishes with strength and a good bit of touch. He’s not overly crafty near the rim, but he’s strong enough to finish through contact and draw some fouls along the way.

Overall, I think we’re looking at a talented stretch four with the ability to affect the game from both inside and outside."

41 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Dismissed from Okie St this winter along with 2 other teammates because they went out, bought BB/pellet guns, and started shooting cars and windows.

In his spare time he's a 6'8" 200# forward from Canada who played at Oak Hill Academy 

I tried looking and I couldn't find anything that said he played at Oak Hill. I looked at their rosters back to 2015-2016.

6 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

I tried looking and I couldn't find anything that said he played at Oak Hill. I looked at their rosters back to 2015-2016.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/oak-hill-academy-warriors-(mouth-of-wilson,va)/basketball-winter-17-18/roster.htm

Looks like he also did a year after that at Huntington Prep in West Virginia

11 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

They scrubbed him from the site

The question would be whether they did so while he was there or after he was dismissed at Okie St.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/maurice-calloo/QOgdK79CEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/photo/full_size.htm

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We might want to get stats on his shot percentage with the BB gun before we get too serious with him.

• 3 weeks later...