Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Norm Peterson

Things I'm impatient to know

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I saw a mock draft Yesterday that had Roby going 51st.

 

That doesn't seem like good enough position to warrant making the jump.  I doubt he'd do any worse than that a year from now.  But he could show a lot this next season and potentially really raise his draft stock.  That'd be worth waiting a year, I'd think.

 

If he's in the 50s, I gotta think he'd come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

That doesn't seem like good enough position to warrant making the jump.  I doubt he'd do any worse than that a year from now.  But he could show a lot this next season and potentially really raise his draft stock.  That'd be worth waiting a year, I'd think.

 

If he's in the 50s, I gotta think he'd come back.

 

Reading between the lines of his comments, it seems to me he's not interested in raising his stock. As long as he knows he's for sure getting drafted by somebody he's leaving. The only way he comes back is if he's told he's not getting drafted by literally everyone. And it's not even a complete guarantee he comes back to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

Would he really be willing to sit on the bench somewhere else for another year? Seem more likely that he goes the professional hoops route than he does go to another school.

 

No I don't think he would. But in that interview with Washut he never said he'd for sure come back either. Said something along the lines of "keeping all of his options open". So who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you're going to be rotation piece on a good NBA team, why would one want to jump ship to the pros when Roby has a few flaws that Hoiberg & Co. could help him lessen, or even eliminate, in the next year. Guess money talks, we'll have to wait & see how Isaiah feels about his pro possibilities in the next month-and-a-half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I dug deeper and now I understand why this isn't clear

----------------------------------------------------------------

Student-athletes will be able to participate in the NBA draft and return to school if undrafted, pending future action from the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association. Currently, college athletes who are interested in going pro can declare for the draft and attend the NBA combine, but must withdraw no more than 10 days after the combine to stay eligible.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/committed-change#flexibility

 

NBA draft flexibility
College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

------------------------

 

The NCAA changed their rules but the NBA also has to change their rules.  It doesn't seem like the NBA has changed their rules yet.

 

The NBA Combine is May 15-19, hence May 29.  

 

I can see the NBA being concerned with allowing undrafted student-athletes to return to college.

 

Bird was selected by the Boston Celtics with the sixth overall pick in the 1978 NBA draft.[15] He did not sign with the Celtics immediately; instead, he played out his final season at Indiana State and led the Sycamores to the NCAA title game. Red Auerbach publicly stated that he would not pay Bird more than any Celtic on the current roster, but Bird's agent bluntly told Red that Bird would reject any sub-market offers and simply enter the 1979 NBA Draft instead, where Boston's rights would expire the second the draft began and Bird would have been the likely top pick. After protracted negotiations, Bird inked a five-year, $3.25 million contract with the team, making him the highest paid rookie in league history at the time.[8][17] Shortly afterwards, NBA draft eligibility rules were changed to prevent teams from drafting players before they were ready to sign, a rule known as the Bird Collegiate Rule.[17]

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Bird#cite_note-big-three-57-17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Donkey said:

 

The NBA Combine is May 15-19, hence May 29.  

 

I can see the NBA being concerned with allowing undrafted student-athletes to return to college.

 

Bird was selected by the Boston Celtics with the sixth overall pick in the 1978 NBA draft.[15] He did not sign with the Celtics immediately; instead, he played out his final season at Indiana State and led the Sycamores to the NCAA title game. Red Auerbach publicly stated that he would not pay Bird more than any Celtic on the current roster, but Bird's agent bluntly told Red that Bird would reject any sub-market offers and simply enter the 1979 NBA Draft instead, where Boston's rights would expire the second the draft began and Bird would have been the likely top pick. After protracted negotiations, Bird inked a five-year, $3.25 million contract with the team, making him the highest paid rookie in league history at the time.[8][17] Shortly afterwards, NBA draft eligibility rules were changed to prevent teams from drafting players before they were ready to sign, a rule known as the Bird Collegiate Rule.[17]

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Bird#cite_note-big-three-57-17

 

 

College baseball was similar to that until the past couple years. Now there is a deadline that same summer. It used to be a full year to sign a guy. Interesting information on the Bird "rights."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

Reading between the lines of his comments, it seems to me he's not interested in raising his stock. As long as he knows he's for sure getting drafted by somebody he's leaving. The only way he comes back is if he's told he's not getting drafted by literally everyone. And it's not even a complete guarantee he comes back to us.

You actually have to graduate to be a grad transfer. He will not have enough hours to do so at the end of this year. That is what I have been told. I have not seen his transcripts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

You actually have to graduate to be a grad transfer. He will not have enough hours to do so at the end of this year. That is what I have been told. I have not seen his transcripts. 

 

Theoretically, however, he could get a waiver and be immediately eligible.  At least it seems like the NCAA is loosening transfer rules so being short of the credits needed to graduate might not be as much of a deal breaker as it would have been in the past.

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way Washut talked about it on 93.7 this morning, it sounds like Roby will go pro if he (Roby) believes he is going to be drafted.

 

So if a team or 2 tells him they will take him in the 2nd round anywhere, he will leave. To protect myself from disappointment,  I am going to assume we've seen the last of Roby in scarlet and cream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BugeaterZ said:

The way Washut talked about it on 93.7 this morning, it sounds like Roby will go pro if he (Roby) believes he is going to be drafted.

 

So if a team or 2 tells him they will take him in the 2nd round anywhere, he will leave. To protect myself from disappointment,  I am going to assume we've seen the last of Roby in scarlet and cream.

 

It is very common for NBA teams to promise a player he will be drafted.  However, another common practice is for a team to tell a player he is one of three players they hope to draft.  I know of a few players who took that promise as a guarantee they will be drafted and were waiting for the call after the draft was over.  The best barometer for Roby is to see how many meetings he takes after the combine and the more meetings the better for Nebraska.  Teams who promise to draft players also require the players to not take meetings with other teams.  Usually, the teams and players have already worked out contract terms (there is no guaranteed salary for 2nd rounders which allows both sides to negotiate contracts) when the promise is made.  Some of the non-lottery first round picks are receiving the same promises from teams.   as well, especially if the team wants to send the player to the G League for further development (e.g. OKC and Roberson).  If Roby takes a lot of meetings after the combine, and there are other players at those meetings; I think it would be wise for Roby to come back.  

 

BTW looks like Gates is stay:  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

 

 

College baseball was similar to that until the past couple years. Now there is a deadline that same summer. It used to be a full year to sign a guy. Interesting information on the Bird "rights."

 

 

 

Well looky here:

 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26487509/nba-union-talk-end-one-done

 

Some good analysis on one-and-dones.  We could see/hear something in the next 2 months because this policy change affects future drafts and potential tradable assets in the 2019 draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, as things stand right now:

 

Assistant 1: Abdelmassih

Assistant 2: Gates

Assistant 3: TBD

Spec Asst: Lutz

If only Hoiberg had a former player from his days in the pros who is looking for something new to do now that his playing days are over. Maybe someone with some championship experience and a name kids recognize. Of course he's going to need to have a Nebraska connection, because it might be a tough sell. Maybe a Aunt/Uncle or 3rd cousin who is from here would help. Now if his parents or his wife is from Nebraska that'd be a huge plus.

 

I don't know, just some random thoughts on a Wednesday in April.

Edited by rwhiston

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rwhiston said:

If only Hoiberg had a former player from his days in the pros who is looking for something new to do now that his playing days are over. Maybe someone with some championship experience and a name kids recognize. Of course he's going to need to have a Nebraska connection, because it might be a tough sell. Maybe a Aunt/Uncle or 3rd cousin who is from here would help. Now if his parents or his wife is from Nebraska that'd be a huge plus.

 

I don't know, just some random thoughts on Wednesday in April.

 

Do you know something or are you just engaging in some wishful thinking? I'm OK with wishful thinking but I'd rather hear that you know something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, as things stand right now:

 

Assistant 1: Matt Abdelmassih

Assistant 2: Armon Gates

Assistant 3: Doc Sadler?

Spec Asst: Bobby Lutz

Player Development: Steve Alford

Hooker Procurement: Rick Pitino

DOBO: Luke Walton

 

Possible update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...