Things I'm impatient to know

1. How's he going to fill out his coaching staff? (Is he keeping anyone?)

2. Who all else is going to transfer away (so we know how many spots we'll have to fill)?

3. Which '19 recruits will stay committed? (Only Jervay left to decide.)

4. Who's coming to the spring game for visits?

5. What's Roby gonna do?

6. How many new players will commit this spring who are eligible for next season and who are they going to be?

7. How many sit-a-year transfers will we bring in and who are they going to be?

I'd like to know from Hoiberg whether he's planning on filling a roster to try to be competitive this coming season or whether he's more focused on '20-'21.

This is one of the things I hate the most about coaching changes: There are sooo many more unknowns in April about what your team will look like in November than you're likely to see at the end of any other season.

42 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

2. Who all else is going to transfer away (so we know how many spots we'll have to fill)?

5. What's Roby gonna do?

6. How many new players will commit this spring who are eligible for next season and who are they going to be?

I'd like to know from Hoiberg whether he's planning on filling a roster to try to be competitive this coming season or whether he's more focused on '20-'21.

This is one of the things I hate the most about coaching changes: There are sooo many more unknowns in April about what your team will look like in November than you're likely to see at the end of any other season.

I bet fred wishes he knew the status of Roby.  That would probably go a along way towards making that decision on how to focus the plan.  

Jervay Green will be attending the Spring game making his 2nd official on-campus visit. Not sure who the other 4-5 players are. Let's hope they are mightily impressed that 90,000 folks will show up just to watch a "practice." Think what they might do for a REAL game? Even a basketball game with a WINNING team on the floor. It almost boggles the mind. But seriously, with that environment and all the BUZZ around Town about the Program and the new hire, Fred will hopefully close on some of these guys!

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

I bet fred wishes he knew the status of Roby.  That would probably go a along way towards making that decision on how to focus the plan.  

I mean this almost has to be the determining factor if the plan is to compete next year or not in my opinion. Sure a lot of things could break our way if Roby leaves in which we would still be competitive next year. Color me skeptical. I feel we utilized all our capital to the basketball gods with the new coaching hire and they will turn their angry eye back towards Nebrasketball. I believe this disposition is know as being jaded ?

1 hour ago, hal9000 said:

Is Dachon Burke still N?  Heard on Sip and Jake last week he's "exploring his options."  Think it was Mike Schaefer who said that, but I'd have to go back and chekc. 

The assumption was that he had to say here because else he'd have to sit out a year.  However in this day and age of transfer waivers I'd say changing the coach plus wanting to be closer to home would probably get him out of here if that's what he wants to do.

I thought Tim’s schedules were representative the past couple of years, I would imagine Fred will continue that trend if not even pump it up a bit regardless of the roster. One would assume we’d get a last place team in the ACC/Big East challenges, plus a road game in Omaha ( unless Greg’s scared to play us now)

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Every day hearing something new.  The most consistent rumor is Gates staying.  No inside information, but I would not be surprised if that happened.  Let's be fair though.  Hoiberg has his main recruiter signed, sealed, delivered.  The other assistants will be beneficial but will not likely provide an immediate impact unless they are bringing a big name with them (and none of the names floated have that).

Nana is gone.  See his twitter page.  Its just not official.  

Thor has been rumored to be weighing a professional offer from an Icelandic team.  

Roby has until May 29 to make a decision.  No inside information, but I can only see him leaving if he gets a guarantee.  However, May 29 may be too early for teams to be making that kind of a commitment for a 1st rounder (but not necessarily 2nd rounder).  The best projections I have seen over the last 6 months had Roby in the mid-high teens.  However, that was in December.  The more recent ones have Roby in the 40s.  

Jervay is the only one who matters of the 2019 recruits. 

Even if Miles were retained, this team was going to be gutted as it was losing 4 seniors, Roby was going to test the NBA waters, Allen (likely) and Nana (definitely) were gone, Thor was already looking around, and there was already 1 open scholarship.  That was only 4 players likely returning in the fall assuming even with Miles staying.

Hoiberg was going to recruit over Mika (hence his decommitment).  

We may not know until they are seen on the sidelines.  I have heard a rumor of a highly rated PG already in tow (definitely not Mack).  No confirmation yet.

5. What's Roby gonna do?

See above.

See above.

Let's assume Thor and Roby stay, but Heiman redshirts next year for a total of 7 available scholarships.  That leaves 5 players available to play next year with Davis coming off a serious injury.  Hoiberg would need 1 PG and 2 bigs to realistically play next year.  Akol is projected to be a 3 primarily and a 4 in smaller lineups.  Assuming Jervay could run the point during, Hoiberg would still need 2 bigs. That would leave 3 scholarships for sit-out contractors.

8 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Every day hearing something new.  The most consistent rumor is Gates staying.  No inside information, but I would not be surprised if that happened.  Let's be fair though.  Hoiberg has his main recruiter signed, sealed, delivered.  The other assistants will be beneficial but will not likely provide an immediate impact unless they are bringing a big name with them (and none of the names floated have that).

Nana is gone.  See his twitter page.  Its just not official.  

Thor has been rumored to be weighing a professional offer from an Icelandic team.  

Roby has until May 29 to make a decision.  No inside information, but I can only see him leaving if he gets a guarantee.  However, May 29 may be too early for teams to be making that kind of a commitment for a 1st rounder (but not necessarily 2nd rounder).  The best projections I have seen over the last 6 months had Roby in the mid-high teens.  However, that was in December.  The more recent ones have Roby in the 40s.  

Jervay is the only one who matters of the 2019 recruits. 

Even if Miles were retained, this team was going to be gutted as it was losing 4 seniors, Roby was going to test the NBA waters, Allen (likely) and Nana (definitely) were gone, Thor was already looking around, and there was already 1 open scholarship.  That was only 4 players likely returning in the fall assuming even with Miles staying.

Hoiberg was going to recruit over Mika (hence his decommitment).  

We may not know until they are seen on the sidelines.  I have heard a rumor of a highly rated PG already in tow (definitely not Mack).  No confirmation yet.

See above.

See above.

Let's assume Thor and Roby stay, but Heiman redshirts next year for a total of 7 available scholarships.  That leaves 5 players available to play next year with Davis coming off a serious injury.  Hoiberg would need 1 PG and 2 bigs to realistically play next year.  Akol is projected to be a 3 primarily and a 4 in smaller lineups.  Assuming Jervay could run the point during, Hoiberg would still need 2 bigs. That would leave 3 scholarships for sit-out contractors.

Agree with all these points. Bobby Lutz is a name I keep hearing also. But the rest I agree

12 hours ago, Donkey said:

Isn't that based on last year's rules of having to withdraw your name within 10 days of the combine?

Assuming he is invited to the combine and doesn't hire an agent I think he has until June 24th to decide.

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Isn't that based on last year's rules of having to withdraw your name within 10 days of the combine?

Assuming he is invited to the combine and doesn't hire an agent I think he has until June 24th to decide.

OWH article i read said 5/29. I have no idea if they are right or not.

I dug deeper and now I understand why this isn't clear

----------------------------------------------------------------

Student-athletes will be able to participate in the NBA draft and return to school if undrafted, pending future action from the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association. Currently, college athletes who are interested in going pro can declare for the draft and attend the NBA combine, but must withdraw no more than 10 days after the combine to stay eligible.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/committed-change#flexibility

NBA draft flexibility
College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

------------------------

The NCAA changed their rules but the NBA also has to change their rules.  It doesn't seem like the NBA has changed their rules yet.