Lauren Ware

Bugeaters1

I could see this being a situation where she goes somewhere and plays both sports her freshman year and then her sophomore year she picks one to focus on exclusively.   I just feel that in this day and age, it is extremely difficult to play both VB and basketball at a DI school and be successful in both, successful in the classroom, and not have your body fall apart from the strain of two demanding sports in consecutive seasons.

redsteve:

May be completely wrong, but kind of doubt Cook would take second fiddle, no matter who has ....officially... the scholarship.

caveman:

Cause this is how it worked last time, also basketball needs the player volleyball is loaded enough.  Make no mistake this will be full time vball and part time bball on a basketball scholarship.  Oh that includes summer work outs etc...... If you doubt that go to Greicha ( All-American setter non starter on the basketball court.)

Fastbreaker:

Yeah and Greisha Lee Cepero was worthless as a basketball player.  And Ware would be disruptive of the team unity built up over the 2.5 months she would be playing Vb instead of bb.

@caveman

The above mentioned quotes are what prompted my lengthy reply.  It portrays Cook in an unflattering light.  I presented some historical evidence contrary to your concerns here.

Greicha was a volleyball scholarship player.  Hence volleyball took precedence.  So logic dictates that in Ware's case if she's a basketball scholarship player, then that'll likely take precedence.  

I followed that up by showing that Cook is not a dictator.  He can't and won't force Ware into a situation if it's contrary to the agreement already set with Coach Williams.  

And as I also showed in that same post, Cook does not need Ware.  She approached him.  Not the other way around.  He's already got his future recruits lined up through 2022.  Ware is just an extra body for the practice squad.  She might see some rotations in certain matches early in the season, but mostly she'll be what Cook likes to call an All-American Practice Player the same way Ally Havers was in 2017 for volleyball.  If Ware was a player he really really wanted, he would've offered her early in her H.S. career.  She wasn't even on his radar because there were better players he landed for 2020.  

At this point, none of us know what the agreement between Williams and Cook is, but whatever it is, at the very least the two coaches have an agreement that apparently works for both of them and Ware.  And really that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

But please don't try to characterize Cook as some sort of power hungry egomaniac out to screw the basketball program.  It's simply not who he is.  The man loves UNL athletics.  He'd be silly to risk upsetting the harmonious balance with his AD and co-workers from other sports programs. 

Edited by braska

braska.... you have mischaracterized my post.....by omitting the line right above it, in the same post ......all to fit your agenda.  

The line you quoted in your post ....and also omitted my line of my same post...."It would be up to both coaches and Ware to work out her overall schedule (practice/ games/travel...etc etc)...for best of all concerned."

The next to the last line of your previous post, pretty much plagiarizes my quote above. 

Been around UNL sports for several decades, and I have never said ANY UNL coach is a dictator. Or that any UNL coach forced any one to do anything....so...plese don't mischaracterize me and try to fit me into your diatribe... by doing so.  

i said...."May be completely wrong, but kind of doubt Cook would take second fiddle, no matter who has ....officially... the scholarship". That has no connotation that Cook is a dictator....simply that he will agree.... to what he will accept. ...and not play second fiddle just to make things work out. He's in a position where he doesn't need to do anything else, no matter who has the scholarship package.  The reality of the situation.

Edited by redsteve

52 minutes ago, redsteve said:

braska.... you have mischaracterized my post.....by omitting the line right above it, in the same post ......all to fit your agenda.  

The line you quoted in your post ....and also omitted my line of my same post...."It would be up to both coaches and Ware to work out her overall schedule (practice/ games/travel...etc etc)...for best of all concerned."

The next to the last line of your previous post, pretty much plagiarizes my quote above. 

Been around UNL sports for several decades, and I have never said ANY UNL coach is a dictator. Or that any UNL coach forced any one to do anything....so...plese don't mischaracterize me and try to fit me into your diatribe... by doing so.  

i said...."May be completely wrong, but kind of doubt Cook would take second fiddle, no matter who has ....officially... the scholarship". That has no connotation that Cook is a dictator....simply that he will agree.... to what he will accept. ...and not play second fiddle just to make things work out. He's in a position where he doesn't need to do anything else, no matter who has the scholarship package.  The reality of the situation.

redsteve,

Firstly let me state that I'm not attacking you three (redsteve, caveman & Fastbreaker) on a personal level.  I'm debating the merits of your points and concerns.  Which is why I quoted the parts of the post that appears to portray Cook in an unfavorable light.  And while I understand that your post as well as the other two quoted are your own personal opinions, I merely offered a counterpoint with evidence.

The tricky thing as always when it comes to forum postings is it's easy to misinterpret certain passages of a post.  So when I read the part where you said:  "May be completely wrong, but kind of doubt Cook would take second fiddle, no matter who has ...officially... the scholarship".  My interpretation led me to read that as Cook being inflexible or perhaps too strongly, dictatorial.  My usage of dictator is probably a bit over-the-top and perhaps I should've used a less intrusive word to highlight my point.  For that I apologize.  However the original point of my post still stands.  And since you clarified your point regarding that 2nd fiddle quote.  It's duly noted. 

As was already pointed out, Cook doesn't need Ware.  It appears to me that Cook is helping Williams and the basketball program by being receptive to Ware's idea of potentially playing two sports.  In which case it proves that Cook is all N for the team regardless which program is giving the scholarship. 

Edited by braska

17 hours ago, braska said:

redsteve,

Firstly let me state that I'm not attacking you three (redsteve, caveman & Fastbreaker) on a personal level.  I'm debating the merits of your points and concerns.  Which is why I quoted the parts of the post that appears to portray Cook in an unfavorable light.  And while I understand that your post as well as the other two quoted are your own personal opinions, I merely offered a counterpoint with evidence.

The tricky thing as always when it comes to forum postings is it's easy to misinterpret certain passages of a post.  So when I read the part where you said:  "May be completely wrong, but kind of doubt Cook would take second fiddle, no matter who has ...officially... the scholarship".  My interpretation led me to read that as Cook being inflexible or perhaps too strongly, dictatorial.  My usage of dictator is probably a bit over-the-top and perhaps I should've used a less intrusive word to highlight my point.  For that I apologize.  However the original point of my post still stands.  And since you clarified your point regarding that 2nd fiddle quote.  It's duly noted. 

As was already pointed out, Cook doesn't need Ware.  It appears to me that Cook is helping Williams and the basketball program by being receptive to Ware's idea of potentially playing two sports.  In which case it proves that Cook is all N for the team regardless which program is giving the scholarship. 

But if Cook is demanding a full-time volleyball player and giving the basketball team a part-time basketball player, that is not helping Coach Williams and the women's basketball team.  She is not that good that she can help a Big 10 basketball team by playing basketball only 2.5-3 months. 

Edited by Fastbreaker

IMO, if we didn't have such a tremendously high caliber VB program, I could see this working out better.  I think in order to compete for playing time and be a solid contributor on the VB court at NU, a player has to be locked in on that goal year round (otherwise they will get beat out by other players who are locked in year round).  And our season runs longer than most schools because of the amount of success we have (and that's a very good thing for everyone).  But that means it conflicts even more with the WBB season.  It's that overlap between VB tourney time and WBB practice that is concerning to me, plus the demands on the  body of the athlete and how it effects their educational progress.  It pays to have a few weeks off (or even a month) to recover.  In this situation, though, she will be entering the grind of the basketball season and BIG10 conference play.  I don't want anyone to think I'm picking on Ware - I think this would be difficult for anyone and that is why we don't see it happen very often.  If VB and WBB didn't occur in consecutive seasons, then I could see this working better.  For example, I'm really hoping the Meyer gal plays fantastic VB in the fall and then throws discus far in the spring. 

I do like the idea of a basketball player that is also a DI VB recruit.  That tells me that even though she is tall, she can probably jump.

Seems to be way to much hype about how Ware might play among the teams.

Obviously hope she picks us to start with. Would be a great opportunity for her. And us too.

Like said, if we're lucky enough to have her choose NU....It would be up to both coaches and Ware to work out her overall schedule (practice/ games/travel...etc etc)...for best of all concerned."

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Slam in minnesota last saturday and wisconsin last sunday:

"Players drawing the most power conference interest were juniors Alyssa Ustby and Lauren Ware, freshmen Mallory Heyer, Maya Nnaji, Amaya Battle and Nia Holloway, and 8th graders Taylor Woodson, Nunu Agara and Tessa Johnson. Lots of buzz about 7th grader Laura Hauge, too."

after a little reading, one thing that may lean in nebraska's favor (at least in minny vs huskers) is that minnesota vb has 3 highly touted middle blockers in vb. assuming that is Ware's position.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, redsteve said:

WOW !!!!!

whaddaiknow, but, i thought we might have seen a decision by now. maybe waiting till summer bb is over. senior year is right around the corner----seems most like to get that over with before their final year of athletics arrives. especially if your highly sought after.

• 2 weeks later...

wow. bummer for her. 

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/local/century-star-ware-suffers-significant-knee-injury/article_097a1120-9919-50b6-a5ec-94108d363921.html

"It is not immediately known if or when surgery will be required."   huh?

don't know the %'s but most seem to come back just fine. just stretches some things out a bit. seems like it's about a 6-9 month recovery nowadays. amazing what they do.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

pretty quiet right now, so, thought i would post this if anyone wants to read it. with vb and bb season's clashing because of the virus, Ware chooses bb...

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2020/8/23/21397739/lauren-ware-arizona-womens-basketball-volleyball-2020-both-sports-freshman-north-dakota

Edited by whoopdeedoo