2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

As long as we are having probably-unrealistic hopes and expectations, based on probably-faulty assumptions, how about this: the possibility of Bryce McGowens committing is a partial explanation of what happened with Hunter Sallis’s rejection (he was never coming here anyway, and Hoiberg gave him an ultimatum) and with Carter Whitt’s last-minute flip?

6 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

As long as we are having probably-unrealistic hopes and expectations, based on probably-faulty assumptions, how about this: the possibility of Bryce McGowens committing is a partial explanation of what happened with Hunter Sallis’s rejection (he was never coming here anyway, and Hoiberg gave him an ultimatum) and with Carter Whitt’s last-minute flip?

We would still be recruiting McGowens if Whitt committed here and we were part of the Hunter Sallis sweepstakes.

Ok, so as long as we're doing pie-in-the-sky theorizing, one of the things that turned Hunter off of "N" was the perception that we weren't recruiting HS kids and that he'd have to play around a bunch of transfers who ...

Did you say Briedenbach? He's like a 4-star, right? High school kid?

OK, but transfers, some with possible character ...

Bryce McGowens? Like the Rivals 5-star Bryce McGowens?

And Hunter hasn't committed anywhere yet?

I'm tellin' ya, if we get a commit from Bryce M, it takes away a LOT of the concerns Hunter expressed about the Nebraska program and what he'd have around him.

I'm never going to win the lottery, but it's sometimes fun imagining what I might buy if I did.

We're never going to land both Hunter and Bryce, but could you imagine the kind of backcourt we'd have?

Whenever a Nebraska kid rejects a Nebraska offer (in any sport) with middle fingers flying, it's a red flag about something.

The first time I recall this happening was a Lincoln kid who decommitted back when Danny Nee was fired.  That kid left in a spiteful snit.  It was endearing behavior--NOT! 

The refusal by Sallis to include NU in his final dozen teams seems to be a similar sort of middle finger thing--but it would have been even more effective, perhaps, if he had listed a final 34 teams and excluded NU.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ok, so as long as we're doing pie-in-the-sky theorizing, one of the things that turned Hunter off of "N" was the perception that we weren't recruiting HS kids and that he'd have to play around a bunch of transfers who ...

I'm tellin' ya, if we get a commit from Bryce M, it takes away a LOT of the concerns Hunter expressed about the Nebraska program and what he'd have around him.

I'm never going to win the lottery, but it's sometimes fun imagining what I might buy if I did.

We're never going to land both Hunter and Bryce, but could you imagine the kind of backcourt we'd have?

Hunter doesn't want to play with Teddy. He's said as much.  

4 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Whenever a Nebraska kid rejects a Nebraska offer (in any sport) with middle fingers flying, it's a red flag about something.

The first time I recall this happening was a Lincoln kid who decommitted back when Danny Nee was fired.  That kid left in a spiteful snit.  It was endearing behavior--NOT! 

The refusal by Sallis to include NU in his final dozen teams seems to be a similar sort of middle finger thing--but it would have been even more effective, perhaps, if he had listed a final 34 teams and excluded NU.

Speaking of local kids flipping birds ...

I will never forget local Lincoln kid Ty Goode spurning a scholarship offer from Tom Osborne to go play at Notre Dame. He could have just said, hey, both are great programs and coaches, but I just want to go to Notre Dame. Instead, what he told the intrepid reporter who asked him about his decision to leave town was that, when he went to Nebraska football practice, he wasn't impressed with the Huskers because "they looked like they were just going through the motions."

Those Huskers proceeded to reel off three National Championships in the next four seasons.

Ty, ya coulda had 3 rings. Instead, you just have an empty finger that you used to flip the bird to the Huskers on your way out of town.

Nelson, from The Simpsons, says "Hah hah."

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Speaking of local kids flipping birds ...

I will never forget local Lincoln kid Ty Goode spurning a scholarship offer from Tom Osborne to go play at Notre Dame. He could have just said, hey, both are great programs and coaches, but I just want to go to Notre Dame. Instead, what he told the intrepid reporter who asked him about his decision to leave town was that, when he went to Nebraska football practice, he wasn't impressed with the Huskers because "they looked like they were just going through the motions."

Those Huskers proceeded to reel off three National Championships in the next four seasons.

Ty, ya coulda had 3 rings. Instead, you just have an empty finger that you used to flip the bird to the Huskers on your way out of town.

Nelson, from The Simpsons, says "Hah hah."

You very well may have this right, but this is a different story from the one I heard at the time.

Story was that we offered him a week before signing day.  We weren't all that interested in him from the get-go.

I heard we were looking at him more as a walk-on, not a serious scholly guy (and considering how little he played for the Domers, I doubt he would have played much here anyway, so good on ya, Coach O).

Again, that was a story floating around at the time, and it's the only one I ever heard. I very well could be wrong.

I checked some old newspaper stories and Goode also mentioned ND's engineering school was better regarded than NU's. This quote was funny:

Goode's oral commitment to the Irish last week means the state's top high school football prospect slipped away from the University of Nebraska for the second straight year. Scott Frost of Wood River, one of the highest - rated quarterbacks nationally, signed with Stanford in 1993.

And, of course, 3 NCs followed.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:19 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

This is how rivals see it:

LSU AND NEBRASKA: EVEN MONEY

The Tigers and Huskers seem like the frontrunners. McGowens’ brother plays for Nebraska, so the allure there is obvious. The fact that head coach Fred Hoiberg has strong NBA ties is also a point for Nebraska. When it comes to LSU, it’s all about relationships. McGowens seems comfortable with the Tigers’ staff despite only recently landing an offer from the program following his decommitment.

MICHIGAN: +200

Head coach Juwan Howard had a virtual meeting with McGowens just days before the five-star released his top 5, and the Wolverines suddenly made the cut. That suggests the meeting went well. Michigan is thought to be a serious player here and things could be getting even more serious by the week. The Wolverines would admittedly be a decent value bet.

FLORIDA STATE: +350

Everyone is familiar with the situation here. Sometimes, high-profile prospects back off pledges only to recommit weeks later, but it’s certainly not the norm. That said, McGowens feels comfortable with the FSU staff, and that’s significant. It’s impossible to rule the Seminoles out completely. Still, history suggests FSU has an uphill fight.

GEORGIA: +750

I can’t see it. But, hey, betting a longshot is fun

I think this is the guy who took over for Eric Bossi and I haven't been impressed his writing thus far. Washut seems to be pretty positive that it's down to Nebraska and Georgia at this point. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I think this is the guy who took over for Eric Bossi and I haven't been impressed his writing thus far. Washut seems to be pretty positive that it's down to Nebraska and Georgia at this point. 

Yeah, I was surprised he gave Georgia about a zero chance. Sounds like their staff have been recruiting him for some time now.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I don't remember Hunter ever expressing concerns that we didn't recruit high school kids.  I know Donovan Williams expressed this as the reason he de-committed but didn't think that was the issue Hunter didn't list us in his top 12 unless I missed it.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I don't remember Hunter ever expressing concerns that we didn't recruit high school kids.  I know Donovan Williams expressed this as the reason he de-committed but didn't think that was the issue Hunter didn't list us in his top 12 unless I missed it.

From the Sallis thread: "Likes Fred, but the transfer culture doesn't appeal to him. Has to mix in as a freshman with 21-22 year olds and some character issues. Could refer to a combination of Cam and Teddy coming in, Sautter didn't specify."