2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

Just now, Navin R. Johnson said:

Let's put the cart before the horse. If Bryce McGowens signs with NU, will he be the highest rated recruit in Nebraska basketball history?

No.  And I feel like we've been through this time and time again.  Danny had many recruits during the 90's that would be considered 5* guys.

But if you are talking in the Scout/Rivals/ESPN era, then sure....yeah I guess he would be.

11 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Trey is stealthily turning into a top 5 all-time signing for us without ever even stepping onto the court.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

No.  And I feel like we've been through this time and time again.  Danny had many recruits during the 90's that would be considered 5* guys.

But if you are talking in the Scout/Rivals/ESPN era, then sure....yeah I guess he would be.

I have to respectfully disagree. Woolridge would have been a 5*, but IMO, no one else. If Danny would have been landing 5* talent, we would not be sitting with zero wins in the NCAA tourney. Players like Lue, Piatkowski and Strickland ended up being really good players, but were not considered 5* talent coming out of high school.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Let's put the cart before the horse. If Bryce McGowens signs with NU, will he be the highest rated recruit in Nebraska basketball history?

no, 247 had Isaac Copeland one spot higher coming out of high school.  If you don't want to count transfers then yes that'd be correct

3 minutes ago, big red22 said:

no, 247 had Isaac Copeland one spot higher coming out of high school.  If you don't want to count transfers then yes that'd be correct

Highest since Rivals and others starting ranking recruits. Danny Nee had some guys who would've been considered 5 stars. Andre Woolridge was the #2 point guard in the nation behind Jason Kidd. 

47 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

I have to respectfully disagree. Woolridge would have been a 5*, but IMO, no one else. If Danny would have been landing 5* talent, we would not be sitting with zero wins in the NCAA tourney. Players like Lue, Piatkowski and Strickland ended up being really good players, but were not considered 5* talent coming out of high school.

As was mentioned before, Woolridge was very highly regarded and I believe Strickland was considered one of the top 25 players in the country when he came out.

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

As was mentioned before, Woolridge was very highly regarded and I believe Strickland was considered one of the top 25 players in the country when he came out.

Boone was actually rated higher than Strickland.  He was #76 or something like that.  I’ll have to dig through the old magazines.  If I can find it I’ll post an update.  I was a recruiting nerd before it was mainstream.

Strickland was very underrated in my opinion....maybe it was because he was also great at football and baseball.  I remember reading about him playing against Kidd in a tournament and holding him in check.  You would have thought it would have cemented top 50 status for him.