2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Just wondering: Were stars given to prospects when Shaquille O'Neal played for LSU? He didn't exactly open the floodgates for the Tigers either. Or maybe he wouldn't have rated 5 stars back then? I saw him play in the fateful NCAA in Minneapolis when Xavier ruined Danny Nee's legacy and wasn't impressed. (And they had two starters over 7 ft. then).

Nope.  Stars didn’t come until the 2000’s.  Back when Shaq was being recruited, recruiting was a niche hobby for basketball junkies like me.  Back then it was people like Tom Lemming who handled the recruiting  rankings.  I think I still have the magazines with him and Chris Webber in the rankings.  

Stanley Roberts was the other 7 footer.  I think at one point Chris Jackson (later Mahmoud Abdoul-Rouf?) was on that team and they lost in the first round with that ridiculous amount of talent.  Really straining the ole memory banks on this one!

Edited by busticket
Autocorrect sucks

56 minutes ago, busticket said:

Nope.  Stars didn’t come until the 2000’s.  Back when Shaq was being recruited, recruiting was a niche hobby for basketball junkies like me.  Back then it was people like Tom Lemming who handled the recruiting  rankings.  I think I still have the magazines with him and Chris Webber in the rankings.  

Stanley Roberts was the other 7 footer.  I think at one point Chris Jackson (later Mahmoud Abdoul-Rouf?) was on that team and they lost in the first round with that ridiculous amount of talent.  Really straining the ole memory banks on this one!

I can remember Basketball Times would kind of rank the top prospects and Juco players but did not assign stars.

I remembered LSU losing to UConn by a lot, and that Duke won the round in Minneapolis because they stayed at the same hotel we did and I rode the elevator with Coach K. I had forgotten the other teams because we scalped our tickets after the late Saturday disappointment and drove back to Lincoln on Saturday. I also remember Duke beating KU in the finale in 1991.