2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heard Sipple on the radio today - he said Bryce is "raising eyebrows" among the coaches already. Pure shooting stroke, professional attitude and work ethic, off to a better start than they could've hoped in the first few days.

Not sure how truly dialed in Sip is to the hoops program, but I'm choosing to take all of his statements as gospel because I want to.

26 minutes ago, throwback said:

Heard Sipple on the radio today - he said Bryce is "raising eyebrows" among the coaches already. Pure shooting stroke, professional attitude and work ethic, off to a better start than they could've hoped in the first few days.

Not sure how truly dialed in Sip is to the hoops program, but I'm choosing to take all of his statements as gospel because I want to.

The only hoops scoop of his I remember off the top of my head was how much the staff loved Banton during his sit out year

Edited by Go Big Fred

Interesting takes on Sipple.  I guess a columnist, if good, is always going to have opposition as they provide factoids and opinions.  Those opinions will split the readership.  

I personally enjoy his columns.  I don't always agree with him, but hey, that's what makes the world go around.  Right? 

I trust his reporting on Bryce is pretty accurate😉

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Somewhere around the 12:20 mark Trey says they are both going in the draft after this season.

Hell Yeah!  Hope it happens for them!

(even though selfishly I hope we can get Bryce to stick around more than just one year)

On 6/15/2021 at 2:54 PM, 49r said:

(even though selfishly I hope we can get Bryce to stick around more than just one year)

Actually, I think its even MORE selfish to want him to be drafted. Because if we create a one and done the flood gates will open to all the 5 star recruits...RIGHT!?!

Also, it probably means we just had one hell of a year!

Edited by cornfed24-7
More stuff

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Actually, I think its even MORE selfish to want him to be drafted. Because if we create a one and done the flood gates will open to all the 5 star recruits...RIGHT!?!

I think it's only natural to want to follow up a Final Four with winning the natty the next year.

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Did that happen with LSU and Ben Simmons?

Or am I missing some hopeless optimism?

On 6/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, atskooc said:

Did that happen with LSU and Ben Simmons?

Or am I missing some hopeless optimism?

Solid point.  That '15-'16 LSU squad was preseason top 25 and yet failed to make the NCAA Tourney field. Their coach got fired a year later.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

BTW Simmons went there in part because his godfather was an assistant there.

And he got that job in part because he was Ben Simmons’ godfather. 

(I have no idea if that’s true, but it’s LSU, so...)

I remember when Simmons was probably 15 and we had a connection to him through Chris Harriman. Dante Exum, too. That was around the same time Jahlil Okafor and crew visited. The future lineups I put together in my head would’ve won a national championship. 

Just wondering: Were stars given to prospects when Shaquille O'Neal played for LSU? He didn't exactly open the floodgates for the Tigers either. Or maybe he wouldn't have rated 5 stars back then? I saw him play in the fateful NCAA in Minneapolis when Xavier ruined Danny Nee's legacy and wasn't impressed. (And they had two starters over 7 ft. then).