2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

16 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Yes, he has signed his LOI.  This has been confirmed by multiple people on Twitter, so it has to be true, right?

I would be completely ok fast forwarding the next two weeks of football season to get straight to basketball.  Can't wait!

Hoiberg has released a statement about Bryce, which is an NCAA violation if the recruit isn't signed.

In other words, it's as official as it can be.

So. That just happened huh? 

Figure out scholarship issue during the season. There is always attrition with programs post season. Fred and staff expect that it seems. 

This year should give us a glimpse into what to expect next year. Extremely excited team and look forward to watching them this year.

Edit: hopefully this will open up other big name guys to consider us for 2022. Traudt is one but at this point unlikely. 40 total offers out right now for 2022 (quite a few high 4 stars). Hopefully this pickup, along with a good season, opens up others to give us a serious look. 

Edited by thrasher31

It seems Arop's surgery will likely result in his not returning to the team. I'm guessing, naturally but w/ McGowens signing putting the squad one player over the scholarship limit it seems obvious this will happen.

I am curious what other knowledgeable fans think the next player(s) Hoiberg will target? I think Traudt is important to make an hard run at, but if he chooses Duke or some power, who do they target, and more importantly who do they have a fair chance at landing? At the top of my wish list is Gus Yalden, who might be a transcendent player, and I hope they land a great h.s. point guard. Is there any chance Hoiberg/Abdelmassih could land five-star Dior Johnson who we had offered early, and who recently de-committed from Syracuse. Do we dare hope for him?

Anyway, I know many of us long-suffering feel a giant step has been undertaken today. 

10 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

It seems Arop's surgery will likely result in his not returning to the team. I'm guessing, naturally but w/ McGowens signing putting the squad one player over the scholarship limit it seems obvious this will happen.

I am curious what other knowledgeable fans think the next player(s) Hoiberg will target? I think Traudt is important to make an hard run at, but if he chooses Duke or some power, who do they target, and more importantly who do they have a fair chance at landing? At the top of my wish list is Gus Yalden, who might be a transcendent player, and I hope they land a great h.s. point guard. Is there any chance Hoiberg/Abdelmassih could land five-star Dior Johnson who we had offered early, and who recently de-committed from Syracuse. Do we dare hope for him?

Anyway, I know many of us long-suffering feel a giant step has been undertaken today. 

For the class of 2022, Jasen Green might be one to keep an eye on. Not sure if we have a legitimate shot at landing Gradey Dick, but he has mentioned Nebraska and Hoiberg in a couple interviews now. He’s crazy good.

The nice thing is... with Bryce, someone took the leap.  Some 5* solid player said “I’m going to do it” and now it opens the door for others to join him.  Bryce is leading the flock.  Now we just need to see how many more will come.  There’s no glass ceiling anymore.  It’s broken.  Prospects can now finally say “well Bryce McGowens did it... why can’t I?”

Edited by hskr4life

3 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Yalden is a 2023 recruit and Dior Johnson likely doesn't play one second of college ball. 

35 minutes ago, JBARGIE said:

Who has the scouting report on Bryce? What makes him a 5 star? Is he going to play more of a Delano Banton role or off-ball Teddy Allen role? Or neither? 

6’6”, skilled, athletic, long, and an elite shooter.  He’s a prototype NBA shooting guard.  He doesn’t need to play within a system to score as he’s comfortable pulling up from anywhere outside of the 3pt line and scoring one on one.  He can be effective as a combo guard for sure.  I’m guessing he’ll play off the ball primarily and help at point.  If you’re talking Banton/Allen, he’s basically both.  

6 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Who has the scouting report on Bryce? What makes him a 5 star? Is he going to play more of a Delano Banton role or off-ball Teddy Allen role? Or neither? 

He is a superb shooter and I mean superb. He can score efficiently at all three levels but he is a superb shooter with NBA three point range. He’s good at everything; doesn’t have any real weaknesses; but his shooting is definitely his strength.

8 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Personally I think he's a Reggie Miller type.   IMO he would be most effective as a SG or W.    I don't think he's a PG.   He could probably play PG in a pinch but I think that would hurt his  scoring.  

Edited by REDitus

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

He is a superb shooter and I mean superb. He can score efficiently at all three levels but he is a superb shooter with NBA three point range. He’s good at everything; doesn’t have any real weaknesses; but his shooting is definitely his strength.

TWO semicolons in one sentence???  Impressive.