2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

16 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm a little more concerned about the announcement of a final two. According to the recruiting services we were in the lead for him when he was down to five.  When he trims it to two it makes it sound more like a toss up, and Georgia is a lot closer to home.

True but way easier for his parents to come watch both their kids play at one school as opposed to trying to watch them at 2 different schools.

16 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm a little more concerned about the announcement of a final two. According to the recruiting services we were in the lead for him when he was down to five.  When he trims it to two it makes it sound more like a toss up, and Georgia is a lot closer to home.

Crean has been recruiting that kid forever so this is most likely something he's deciding unlike the listing before where he had Florida St to let them down easier.

He's been through the recruiting wringer for a while so I'd expect him to keep the answer close to the vest but I'd either watch out for reactions (or lack of reactions) from Trey and then if he does something obvious like following the assistant coaches of either team on twitter.

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Considering we could likely be on the cusp of the first ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ high school recruit I can remember, there doesn't seem to be as much buzz about that as I'd expect. This should be a huge story!

I will be so excited if we get him.  I’m trying not to get my hopes up until he commits and signs, as I’m trying to protect myself from getting kicked in the nuts again.  I think a lot of others probably feel the same way.

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Considering we could likely be on the cusp of the first ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ high school recruit I can remember, there doesn't seem to be as much buzz about that as I'd expect. This should be a huge story!

We've been down this road seems like dozens of times before and it seems like we've always been passed up at the last minute from some team from the south...so I think most of us are taking a "believe it when we see it" approach on this one.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Once he signs, this will be a massive story not only locally but nationally as well.  If he is a "one and done" and is a first round NBA pick, it might open the door for other top level recruits to start to take a look at Nebraska as well.  

I will believe it if/when it happens. We've been left wanting more than I care to recall. Though I think Hoiberg is great and would be a fantastic coach for any blue-chip player, he is fighting an atrocious history he is trying to reverse. If any team with a brother likely starting and a friend (Wood) on the roster it would be Nebraska who would come up short- so like kldm64, I will wait and see. That said, I do think Hoiberg's incredible record placing players in the NBA should alleviate any worries McGowens (and any future five-star players) might have. Come with a teachable attitude and a handsome career awaits, as well as secular sainthood in this starved state full of great fans.

McKewon weighs in:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/brotherly-love-could-help-nebraska-basketball-land-five-star-bryce-mcgowens/article_dccea8f7-0803-5c84-a5cb-c16141d06026.html

Some quotes from Trey and Bryce's dad in there, saying all of the things one would expect him to say to a reporter from Nebraska.  But at least it's something.

Edited by 49r