2021 PG Bryce McGowens - LOI

hhcmatt

We easily have the best coach out of that bunch who also played the same position in the league.  We're a home away from home for this kid.  

With the way we'll be able to space the floor next year, Bryce could come in and be an All-American.  He looks like a true lottery pick to me with that frame and scoring ability.  

I already think this season will go well.  We could be in serious contention for the B1G and beyond next season if our roster shakes out correctly.  

On 10/9/2020 at 8:46 AM, millerhusker said:

Not sour grapes (I’ll be rooting for Hunter wherever he ends up), but I’m not sure how all these recruiting services can unanimously say Sallis is clearly a better prospect than McGowens after watching their film.

They both are combo guards. McGowens is taller, longer, equally as athletic (if not more), has a quicker release and appears to have deeper range. Both are very good ball handlers and passers. McGowens probably plays better competition and averaged 26 ppg the last two years.

If I had to choose between the two for next level potential, I’d take McGowens.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10471593/5e14ffab0dcaad049013ca47

FWIW, I've been watching some video of both players (and going off memory of watching Sallis last year.) There's not a ton of difference between guys at this level. They are ALL athletic as hell and they all can shoot the rock. Or almost all of them, anyway.

For Fred's style of ball, I'd take Bryce over Hunter, TBH. Though I'd gladly have both.

You can't have enough 6'5ish athletes who can handle the ball and shoot the rock.

I'm starting to get a feeling that this is happening.

It reminds me of the feeling I had when I came to the conclusion that my then-girlfriend (now wife) would say "yes" if I proposed. I did; she did; rest is history.

Not the *same* feeling (disclaimer for those who seem to have difficulty with abstract thoughts) but reminds me of that feeling. You get what I mean?

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm starting to get a feeling that this is happening.

It reminds me of the feeling I had when I came to the conclusion that my then-girlfriend (now wife) would say "yes" if I proposed. I did; she did; rest is history.

Not the *same* feeling (disclaimer for those who seem to have difficulty with abstract thoughts) but reminds me of that feeling. You get what I mean?

So wait, you are going to propose to Bryce when he commits and steps foot on campus?  Weird 😃

On 10/19/2020 at 2:55 PM, thrasher31 said:

If anyone wants to watch an entire game. He drops 60 in this. From February so a bit far out. But it's something 

He’s very Isaiah Roby’ish in that his game looks silky smooth for being that long but probably far more polished coming in to college. 

Going up against some tough company but with friends/family coupled with Hoiberg’s experience I think we have a good chance. 

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

He’s very Isaiah Roby’ish in that his game looks silky smooth for being that long but probably far more polished coming in to college. 

Going up against some tough company but with friends/family coupled with Hoiberg’s experience I think we have a good chance. 

So he doesn't know how good he is?

This is how rivals see it:

LSU AND NEBRASKA: EVEN MONEY

The Tigers and Huskers seem like the frontrunners. McGowens’ brother plays for Nebraska, so the allure there is obvious. The fact that head coach Fred Hoiberg has strong NBA ties is also a point for Nebraska. When it comes to LSU, it’s all about relationships. McGowens seems comfortable with the Tigers’ staff despite only recently landing an offer from the program following his decommitment.

MICHIGAN: +200

Head coach Juwan Howard had a virtual meeting with McGowens just days before the five-star released his top 5, and the Wolverines suddenly made the cut. That suggests the meeting went well. Michigan is thought to be a serious player here and things could be getting even more serious by the week. The Wolverines would admittedly be a decent value bet.

FLORIDA STATE: +350

Everyone is familiar with the situation here. Sometimes, high-profile prospects back off pledges only to recommit weeks later, but it’s certainly not the norm. That said, McGowens feels comfortable with the FSU staff, and that’s significant. It’s impossible to rule the Seminoles out completely. Still, history suggests FSU has an uphill fight.

GEORGIA: +750

I can’t see it. But, hey, betting a longshot is fun

My theory was he decommited from FSU only because he wanted to play here with his brother. Trey probably told him he was getting great coaching here and that it was 10 times  better than Pitt. Or words to that affect. You can't just drop one place and immediately commit to somewhere else unless you're D'Andre Davis or something. So, it seemed logical to me that he might entertain some offers before eventually doing what he'd planned to do from the beginning: Commit to Fred Hoiberg and the Huskers.

Of course, my logic and that of an 18-year-old HS senior might not necessarily match.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

My theory was he decommited from FSU only because he wanted to play here with his brother. Trey probably told him he was getting great coaching here and that it was 10 times  better than Pitt. Or words to that affect. You can't just drop one place and immediately commit to somewhere else unless you're D'Andre Davis or something. So, it seemed logical to me that he might entertain some offers before eventually doing what he'd planned to do from the beginning: Commit to Fred Hoiberg and the Huskers.

Of course, my logic and that of an 18-year-old HS senior might not necessarily match.

Yeah, and a strong-ass offer could work to sway an 18 year old kid.