2021->2020 PF Gabe Wiznitzer -> Louisville

hhcmatt

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Next on the list

This makes me worried.  Sanogo felt like a potential game-changing talent, that we wanted regardless of system fit/need.  The kind of player you make room for because of extreme potential.  The fact that we are now going full-court press on another big tells me that Fred isn't as happy with our post situation as I'd hoped.  Maybe I'm reading too far into the tea leaves, but I'm now worried that we may have a continued rebounding/post defense problem next season.

Well, looks like we are going to have to make up some ground and make a strong push as he doesn't list us as schools that are pushing hard for his services.  Hopefully, our open scholarship and immediate path to some playing time are attractive enough to him.  He looks like he already has some muscle mass as well, which bodes well for his development.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/04/18/gabe-wiznitzer-still-considering-reclassification-talks-recruitment/

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

This makes me worried.  Sanogo felt like a potential game-changing talent, that we wanted regardless of system fit/need.  The kind of player you make room for because of extreme potential.  The fact that we are now going full-court press on another big tells me that Fred isn't as happy with our post situation as I'd hoped.  Maybe I'm reading too far into the tea leaves, but I'm now worried that we may have a continued rebounding/post defense problem next season.

Not sure about this regardless of who we recruit at the 4-5 this season.  We can potentially roll out some big, beefy lineups.  Consider:

Banton -- 6'8" (200)

Allen -- 6'5" (230) -- Kobe King 6'4" (220)

Stevenson -- 6'6" (245) -- Thor 6'6" (210)

Mayen -- 6'9" (210)

Yvan -- 6'9" (260) -- Walker 6'8" (240)

We actually already have a very tall and strong team if we need to roll them out this way.  Having Stevenson, Banton, and Mayen on the roster next season gives us all sorts of flexibility, size wise.  Rebounding/post defense may very well be one of our strengths with next year's roster regardless of our next signee.  

3 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think you're right, but I have trouble doubting Fred's competency to speak on this with authority at booster functions.  I'm 50/50 whether or not it was Sanogo.  If it was, that's a major L on FH and MA's parts.  

Sometimes you just don't land kids.

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Wiznitzer isn't as highly regarded but his ability to shoot from outside seems like a better fit than Sanogo

Completely agree.  Even though we offered a year ago, it just feels like we are a little late to this party.  Fortunately, the party isn't over so perhaps we get to take the girl, or ugh mythical unicorn home with us.  We are overdue here!!!

54 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I feel like this was always going to be an issue next year regardless. The hope is that we can counter that with more talented guard play. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

38 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Not sure about this regardless of who we recruit at the 4-5 this season.  We can potentially roll out some big, beefy lineups.  Consider:

Banton -- 6'8" (200)

Allen -- 6'5" (230) -- Kobe King 6'4" (220)

Stevenson -- 6'6" (245) -- Thor 6'6" (210)

Mayen -- 6'9" (210)

Yvan -- 6'9" (260) -- Walker 6'8" (240)

We actually already have a very tall and strong team if we need to roll them out this way.  Having Stevenson, Banton, and Mayen on the roster next season gives us all sorts of flexibility, size wise.  Rebounding/post defense may very well be one of our strengths with next year's roster regardless of our next signee.  

Yeah, on paper we should be much improved in the muscle and rebounding areas of the game.  That's part of why I looked at Sanogo not necessarily as a guy that would fill an immediate need, but instead as a guy with too high of a ceiling to pass up.  But the fact that the staff has immediately moved on to Plan B makes me think that they aren't actually comfortable with our 4/5 situation, despite what we as fans see on paper.  I'm just getting a bit of a "Danger, Will Robinson" vibe with all of this.

12 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Some more recent highlights:

Just found the same video and almost duplicated your post, Jayschool.

So, not overwhelming athleticism. BUT ... he has good hands and good feet and some post moves. Plus he moves reasonably well for a big, big guy.  He may or may not be fast. He may or may not be explosive. But he's pretty fluid. And he's able to catch the ball while moving and, without having to pause and gather himself, go up and dunk.

So ... not bad at all.  I see a lot of skill that we could definitely benefit ...

HOLY CRAP and then they get to the part where he's draining 3 pointers!

SIGN THIS KID UP NOW.

2 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Well, looks like we are going to have to make up some ground and make a strong push as he doesn't list us as schools that are pushing hard for his services.  Hopefully, our open scholarship and immediate path to some playing time are attractive enough to him.  He looks like he already has some muscle mass as well, which bodes well for his development.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/04/18/gabe-wiznitzer-still-considering-reclassification-talks-recruitment/

I’d imagine the staffs thought was Sanogo was a go and they didn’t want to hard press someone they wouldn’t take over him. They can show they had a need and it hasn’t been filled and that their initial offer still stands. It’s obviously harder but kids in the game understand this stuff.