Hoiberg's Contract

hhcmatt

Salary

Year 1: $2.5 million (Bulls are paying him another 2.5)
Year 2: $3 million ($1 million bonus if still the coach on July 1, 2020)
Year 3: $3.5 million 

Year 4: $3.5 million 

Year 5: $3.5 million ($550k bonus Mar 31, 2024)

Year 6: $3.5 million  ($550k bonus Mar 31, 2025)

Year 7: $3.5 million (ends March 2026)

Does $40,000 for making the Sweet 16 really matter to a guy making $3.5 million?

That's like a bonus of four hundred bucks to a guy making $35K.

Except, not really, because each dollar means less to the guy making millions than to the guy making thousands.

I'd say pay him $3 million a year but him give an extra million for making the Sweet 16.  THAT would be a clear incentive.

20 minutes ago, busticket said:

Pretty stiff penalty for leaving five years or less to another college team.  I think Fred is in it for the long haul. ?

That depends on what he would leave for

(other NCAA job)

Year 1: $11 million

Year 2: $10.25 million 
Year 3: $8.75 million 
Year 4: $7 million 
Year 5: $5.25 million 
Year 6/7: $0

Leaving for non-NCAA (NBA)

Year 1: $2.5 million

Year 2: $2 million 
Year 3: $1.5 million 
Year 4: $500,000  
Year 5: $250,000 
Year 6/7: $0

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

So it's basically three years to see if Hoiberg is 'N' it for the long haul. Otherwise, it's certainly possible that the NBA attraction will still be there for Freddy. Guess we'll just have to wait & see...

If he's going to the NBA in 3 years it's because it's been a hell of a 3 years

Does $40,000 for making the Sweet 16 really matter to a guy making $3.5 million?

Except, not really, because each dollar means less to the guy making millions than to the guy making thousands.

I'd say pay him $3 million a year but him give an extra million for making the Sweet 16.  THAT would be a clear incentive.
I'd take the 400 bucks.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

tt his bonus,Does $40,000 for making the Sweet 16 really matter to a guy making $3.5 million?

Why pay a bonus of $1,000,000 to someone that has already done it at another Power 5 school?  You pay the extra money upfront expecting him to do it here.  You do that stuff for our last three coaches.

And, about his bonus, I would not be surprised if that would go to his support staff.  I bet they'd be much appreciative.

(no idea why the original quote messed up)

Edited by cipsucks

Looking at the Bonuses it’s pretty much NCAA or bust.  Not that we want the NIT, but there is no bonus for going or winning...unless I’m just totally missing it. 

Those are also in his case, chump change bonuses for making it to the NCAA unless he wins the championship  30 thousand up to 75 thousand for advancing to the final four and then it shoots up to 300,000 for winning the Championship. So I’m guessing he would get 75 thousand for advancing (the others are based on advancing to while the other is winning) to the championship? Am I understanding that correctly? 

23 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Why pay a bonus of $1,000,000 to someone that has already done it at another Power 5 school?  You pay the extra money upfront expecting him to do it here.  You do that stuff for our last three coaches.

And, about his bonus, I would not be surprised if that would go to his support staff.  I bet they'd be much appreciative.

Because if you pay it upfront it probably goes against what the Bulls are contracted to pay you.  He basically gets it when the Bulls stop paying him.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've always thought this, too. There are many jobs in the every day world where your pay is pretty highly incentivized based on your performance. Why not do the same for coaches? And it's hedging your costs as an athletic department  too. Obviously in the successful years the A.D. will bring in more money and can easily pay above and beyond the extra bonus. And finally, the head coach should be willing to accept a lower base salary if he is confident that he will win. Oh well, what do I know.