Tyrance

bobcat402

Seems like he has put in a lot of hard work and improved which is good to see. But at 6'3, if he is going to be playing maybe at not just the 3 but the 4? 6'3 is small for the 3 and there is no way that would work at the 4. I know that we are very thin in terms of post players, but I think it would make more sense to put Rivers or someone at the 4 before you put Tyrance. Tyrance could and probably will get a few minutes a game which it seems like he has worked hard for and should be a defensive spark off the bench.

If he was 6'8" or 6'9" he'd be on scholarship either here or somewhere else...he's physically strong enough to be a Big 10 player...I'm not sure he has the skill set to be a guard though.

I think if Miles can figure out how to utilize his skill set and Tyrance can play that role, he can play some meaningful minutes while also not being a liability on the court.

Now that I think about it, upperclassmen tended to get more playing time under Doc and this was especially true of walkons who tended to get PT over the younger guys. I'm sure Tyrance will get PT under Miles but he had vet cred with Doc.

Tyrance is stronger and more athletic than Ryan Anderson but I'm not sure about his quickness and I know that he doesn't have Anderson's basketball IQ (most guys don't). This year is a free for all on many levels. It will be interesting to see which guys take advantage of that opportunity.

Tyrance is a terrific athlete but he doesn't have D1 level skills. That's why he's a walk-on. He's probably not much of a threat to score but he does give you an athletic body in there if you need one. I remember about the time Dana Altman was taking over at Creighton, they had a depleted roster and wound up with a 6'2" guard playing power forward. Think his name might have been Erick Dantzler or something like that. Anyway, it's less than ideal but when you don't have a full roster, what are you going to do?

Here is a question for you guys. Who would you rather have playing in the post, Kye or Tyrance? In my opinion I think that if either of them are playing in the post in meaningful games we are in trouble, but it looks like we are going to have to play with some unideal lineups.

We've got to remember that Miles used Dwight Smith at the 4 spot last year at Colorado State. Dwight is no taller than 6'4 with shoes on. So he has experience with smaller guys at that position.

This also has me wondering if he'll use David Rivers as a 4 this first year. Rivers might not have the body type to bang inside. But he does have some height and could help bring opposing 4 men away from the basket.

You play with the team you have, not the team you want...

I like that Coach Miles is trying light a fire under all the players, even the walk-ons. Even if it's just lip service, The harder they play the harder they push the scholarship players in practice. The harder the scholarship guys work, the better Nebrasketball will be.

You play with the team you have, not the team you want...

I like that Coach Miles is trying light a fire under all the players, even the walk-ons. Even if it's just lip service, The harder they play the harder they push the scholarship players in practice. The harder the scholarship guys work, the better Nebrasketball will be.

I am not about to bash this coach or this team. I will be at the BOB and perhaps elsewhere on occasion screaming support for the Huskers as I have for years and years and years. That said, we have been cheering for the team that we have had for many of those years, rather than the team that I want (a team that leads us to the NCAA championship). So excuse (please) those of us who have been with the Huskers since the 50's and 60's that want more...I am hoping that Coach Miles does indeed, lead us to that promised land. ;)

I am not about to bash this coach or this team. I will be at the BOB and perhaps elsewhere on occasion screaming support for the Huskers as I have for years and years and years. That said, we have been cheering for the team that we have had for many of those years, rather than the team that I want (a team that leads us to the NCAA championship). So excuse (please) those of us who have been with the Huskers since the 50's and 60's that want more...I am hoping that Coach Miles does indeed, lead us to that promised land. ;)

to quote my good buddy Jim I will replace championships with the word playoffs

No disrespect to Jordan, but if we have a 6'3" 195 pounder playing the 4 I think I am going to vomit :o

i think this is a as CWG put it a "all hands on deck season" where anyone who can contribute and provide some help will need to, we dont have the luxary of pitchford and pettaway this season sadly so we need everyone from Tryrance to even Kye. But im optimistic that they will string something together and be weirdly competitive

Occasionally, it does happen that a walk-on improves enough to be a significant contributor at this level. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while. Maybe Jordan can be one of those guys. But there's also a reason that it doesn't happen often. If he sees an opportunity and takes advantage of it, good for him. Perhaps he can be a nice role player for us. Good teams need guys like that.

We've got to remember that Miles used Dwight Smith at the 4 spot last year at Colorado State. Dwight is no taller than 6'4 with shoes on. So he has experience with smaller guys at that position.

This also has me wondering if he'll use David Rivers as a 4 this first year. Rivers might not have the body type to bang inside. But he does have some height and could help bring opposing 4 men away from the basket.

I would definitely rather have David Rivers at the 4 than Tyrance. Rivers is not only taller but definitely more fit to play major minutes. If Tyrance does play this year it should be after most guys except for maybe the 2 frosh walk ons and maybe Kurkowski, but Kye is 6'10.

Rivers has added some weight and strength. Plus, he's a long wingspan kid. He'd have trouble with big, bruising power forwards, but he's athletic enough that he could also create some match-up problems. At least compared to our other options. I mean, Rivers would have trouble against a Jared Sullinger type but who on our roster wouldn't? If we're talking about the alternative being Jordan Tyrance, I'd say you have to give Rivers a look. Next year we'll have some options but this year, we're going to have to throw whatever we have at it and hope something works.

Ineresting challenge for Coach Miles. Can't wait to see how he deals with it.

The key is always match-ups. We could play literally anyone in the post or power forward positions while on offense, especially with a motion offense. The issue is on defense. When we have Andre and Ubel on the floor, our interior defense should be pretty decent, but defensive issues will exist with almost any other set of "bigs" that we have eligible this year. I think both Tyrance and Rivers are built to be SF's on defense...it is going to be interesting when it comes to players and playing time this year. Do we go six or seven deep, or do we simply throw bodies on the floor and try to wear teams down?

Occasionally, it does happen that a walk-on improves enough to be a significant contributor at this level. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while. Maybe Jordan can be one of those guys. But there's also a reason that it doesn't happen often. If he sees an opportunity and takes advantage of it, good for him. Perhaps he can be a nice role player for us. Good teams need guys like that.

Jordan is a terrific athlete. He certainly passes the eyeball test. His problem is his offensive skills. He's good enough of an ahtlete to play at this level and if he can elevate his skills, uneblinstu, I would give him as much of a chance of being one of those rare walk-ons who becomes a signficant contributor as anyone we've had walk on. But I'm guessing you and I both agree that it would happen at the shooting guard spot and not at the power forward spot. He's not a power forward. If he plays there, it's only as a stop-gap measure. But I definitely agree with you that it's rare to see a walk-on become a real contributor, although it does happen. And Jordan has the athletecism to be that guy. I think he can defend. He just needs to work on his shooting and ball-handling so that he's not a liability on the offensive end.

Jordan is a terrific athlete. He certainly passes the eyeball test. His problem is his offensive skills. He's good enough of an ahtlete to play at this level and if he can elevate his skills, uneblinstu, I would give him as much of a chance of being one of those rare walk-ons who becomes a signficant contributor as anyone we've had walk on. But I'm guessing you and I both agree that it would happen at the shooting guard spot and not at the power forward spot. He's not a power forward. If he plays there, it's only as a stop-gap measure. But I definitely agree with you that it's rare to see a walk-on become a real contributor, although it does happen. And Jordan has the athletecism to be that guy. I think he can defend. He just needs to work on his shooting and ball-handling so that he's not a liability on the offensive end.

I would agree that power forward probably isn't ideal for him. It seems like he's got the pedigree to make that jump. I'd love to see it happen because he's earned it that's always a good story and is easy to root for those guys. If he's on the floor because he's the only option, that might be a different story.