Holy Smokes; Norm Approves

What I've learned over the years is there is not one "right" way to shoot that basketball. There are some things that will always be wrong and you should never do, but there are a couple of things in the shot mechanics that can be done in different ways and still be effective. I'm sure he and many of the people he has taught that method have been successful. I know lots of people who would think he wasn't detailed enough. Which part of your foot should hit the floor first on your steps? Personally, I like that rhythm shooting but there are quite a few that will tell you that is too slow and you need to jump stop into the catch. Myself, Ray Allen, Kobe, Bird, and Steph a little bit think you need to get your shoulders back on the shot. So take it and this for what it is. 

39 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

What I've learned over the years is there is not one "right" way to shoot that basketball. There are some things that will always be wrong and you should never do, but there are a couple of things in the shot mechanics that can be done in different ways and still be effective. I'm sure he and many of the people he has taught that method have been successful. I know lots of people who would think he wasn't detailed enough. Which part of your foot should hit the floor first on your steps? Personally, I like that rhythm shooting but there are quite a few that will tell you that is too slow and you need to jump stop into the catch. Myself, Ray Allen, Kobe, Bird, and Steph a little bit think you need to get your shoulders back on the shot. So take it and this for what it is. 

Reggie Miller proves that shot mechanics don't need to be perfect. Just repeatable.

So, I don’t get to follow things too close like I used to ( don’t always know the other teams players well etc).  Was at the home game vs Purdue this year.  Happened to focus on the Purdue guys in warmups for @ few minutes.  Noticed a guy ( who was Ryan Cline ) who had a terrible shot and he was clanking them in the few minutes I was watching him.  I pointed him out to my boys “ Look at that guys shot, he’s terrible.  He’s gotta be some walk on”.   I found out that he’s pretty effective ?

22 hours ago, lang said:

So, I don’t get to follow things too close like I used to ( don’t always know the other teams players well etc).  Was at the home game vs Purdue this year.  Happened to focus on the Purdue guys in warmups for @ few minutes.  Noticed a guy ( who was Ryan Cline ) who had a terrible shot and he was clanking them in the few minutes I was watching him.  I pointed him out to my boys “ Look at that guys shot, he’s terrible.  He’s gotta be some walk on”.   I found out that he’s pretty effective ?

Yeah, Cline has a funky shot... he's very, very streaky. He makes up for terrible athleticism with the funkiest of shots. It takes all kinds...

5 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Amen, Normy. It's about time Nebrasketball got serious about coaching in a big-time league with big-time coaching techniques.

The video is an ad for the machine. It talks about the shot in very vague terms that your junior high basketball coach should know. I've seen practices conducted by every coach we have had back to Nee and have attended several of their coaching clinics. Every one of them broke down and taught the jump shot in greater detail than what was shown in that video and I'm positive the Hoiberg will as well when he holds practices. Every coach has strengths and weaknesses but I don't think you can get to a D-1 coaching job, even at a school devoid of tradition without taking the coaching of fundamentals seriously. 

Edited by Dean Smith

31 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

The video is an ad for the machine. It talks about the shot in very vague terms that your junior high basketball coach should know. I've seen practices conducted by every coach we have had back to Nee and have attended several of their coaching clinics. Every one of them broke down and taught the jump shot in greater detail than what was shown in that video and I'm positive the Hoiberg will as well when he holds practices. Every coach has strengths and weaknesses but I don't think you can get to a D-1 coaching job, even at a school devoid of tradition without taking the coaching of fundamentals seriously. 

I think you misinterpreted the 'serious' comment--I didn't watch the video (full disclosure). The 'serious' comment is simply in regards to committing to a big-time coach, which would appear to be Fred Hoiberg. And, by all accounts, Hoiberg has been known to have better shooters who have played for him at ISU, in particular. Seems like you may be reading too much into it... obviously, Div. 1 coaches aren't idiots or they wouldn't be Div. 1 coaches.

Edited by AuroranHusker

10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Ok, but he says they work on shooting technique every day. I know for a fact coaches we’ve had in the past more or less left it up to the players to work on their shots by getting extra reps before or after practice on their own, and didn’t spend time refining technique.