JPJ and Glynn Playing this Weekend in MPLS

Big 10 just lost to the MAC 21-19.   Led most of the game but gave it away at the end.    I don't think these teams have a "coach" but if they do the Big 10 one was an idiot.  Happ was BY FAR the weakest player in this format and he was on the floor all but about 30 seconds.  Other 3 rotated regularly.  Pretty sure Watson was the high scorer.  Murphy did well on offense but was lazy on defense.  Happ was ridiculously inept both ways.  Could not score and just got abused trying to guard guys away from the basket.  Final bucket was the MAC spreading out and just let Happ's guy drive past him and beat him to the basket.    If they would have just played the other 3 guys the Big 10 team would have won easily.

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:

FIFY.

He didn't even start for Iowa, but a player like Nicholas Baer would have been helpful. Other than Glynn, no one on the Big Ten squad was a consistent threat from deep. 

I think they were fine not having the outside presence, but the lack of perimeter defense killed this squad. That, and Happ couldn't make a shot.

5 minutes ago, throwback said:

CAA wins the $100K over the WCC.

Creighton players watching: "They have to split the $100K between 4 of them? Tough deal. That's a serious pay cut from the regular season."

That's just mean. You know full and well that some of the Creighton walkons are getting paid less than that.

Glynn might surprise all of us who knows? He might very well be the next Stephon Marbary of Chinese basketball (somewhat tongue in cheek). As for Happ, he couldn’t even go toe to toe with Borchardt & Trueblood during the B1G Tournament. 3x All-Conference and spends MOST of the game on the bench...

On Friday, I went over to the mall of america and watched about 6 games of the 3X3U tournament...to me the scoring of 2s and 1s really distorts the game and the shooting was so bad...as everyone was cranking 3s (2s) and it was pretty bad...

There were a few guys that could shoot, but overall, it was one on one ball where whoever could hit a couple of shots was going to win...

22 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

On Friday, I went over to the mall of america and watched about 6 games of the 3X3U tournament...to me the scoring of 2s and 1s really distorts the game and the shooting was so bad...as everyone was cranking 3s (2s) and it was pretty bad...

There were a few guys that could shoot, but overall, it was one on one ball where whoever could hit a couple of shots was going to win...

The B1G didn't necessarily have the right roster for this as 2s are so valuable that chucking them up is the best way to win. 

It's going to be an Olympic sport in 2020 so you'd think Team USA would be full of quick shooters. 

39 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I think that’s just part of 3X3.  On regular basketball, a “two” is worth 2/3 or 66% of the points a “three” is worth.  In 3X3, a “two” is only worth 1/2 of a “three.”  Another way to look at it is that you’d need to make 2 “one point shots” to catch back up after someone make a a “two point shot.”  In regular basketball, that doesn’t just tie it, but it puts you in the lead.

After watching this weekend, there are two types of players who I think would benefit in a 3X3 game.  The Roby types who can play inside and out and who have height, and shooters.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think that’s just part of 3X3.  On regular basketball, a “two” is worth 2/3 or 66% of the points a “three” is worth.  In 3X3, a “two” is only worth 1/2 of a “three.”  Another way to look at it is that you’d need to make 2 “one point shots” to catch back up after someone make a a “two point shot.”  In regular basketball, that doesn’t just tie it, but it puts you in the lead.

After watching this weekend, there are two types of players who I think would benefit in a 3X3 game.  The Roby types who can play inside and out and who have height, and shooters.

The Big Ten should have enlisted Aaron Jordan from Illinois, a 41 percent shooter from deep, to go with Glynn in the backcourt. Happ and Murphy need to make every shot from inside if they're on the team, and they didn't. Morgan was useless.

Personally, I think 3-on-3 should have the same scoring as regular hoops, but make the target 35 points instead of 21. As you noted, as is, the game is just a 3-point shooting contest. Oops, 2-point shooting contest.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

And a foul is worth a whole lot more in 3v3, especially when you get into the bonus.

I was talking with my nephew and he said they count by ones and twos because it is easier to keep track of...I said, if you can't count by 2s and 3s then you should probably attend more classes and play less basketball.

I think old school pickup was all by 1s and when the three was first introduced, it morphed into 1s and 2s even though it makes absolutely no sense to do so...