jimmykc

Fred Grandy(one of Iowa's most illustrious citizens). This thread is proving to be as hard as Michael Myers to kill. And how about my mother's favorite bandleader. We used to listen to him and his Pennsylvanians on the radio every day.     
Image result for fred waring

Edited by jimmykc

Since the thread now appears to have finally ended, I'll impart one final bit of trivia regarding the above guy. Fred Waring was a famous and popular bandleader and chorale leader in the days of radio and was approached by another guy named Fred with his idea for a new kitchen appliance which he had invented. Waring felt it was an idea which merited his backing and began a company to manufacture the gadget. It caught on and became known as the "Waring blender". So the next time you enjoy a margarita raise your glass to a couple of Freds who made it possible.

"Poor,Poor Pitiful Me" by my favorite late singer, Warren Zevon. And for those who are still interested in random, non-basketball crap which only has meaning to old Jimmy, I also found this tidbit while looking up Waring- My favorite part of his old radio program was a segment of "Little Orley" stories which were narrated by "Uncle Lumpy" Brannum who played the sousaphone in Waring's band. It turns out that Brannum was the same Hank Brannum who gained more fame in early tv as Captain Kangaroo's dopey sidekick, Mr. Greenjeans. I hated both of them since I always had to hurry off to school while my preschool sibs sat comfortably watching these guys on tv, usually about the time "Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog" appeared. (There, I got another "fred" into the post! And I'm not making any of this stuff up).

Edited by jimmykc

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

"Poor,Poor Pitiful Me" by my favorite late singer, Warren Zevon. And for those who are still interested in random, non-basketball crap which only has meaning to old Jimmy, I also found this tidbit while looking up Waring- My favorite part of his old radio program was a segment of "Little Orley" stories which were narrated by "Uncle Lumpy" Brannum who played the sousaphone in Waring's band. It turns out that Brannum was the same Hank Brannum who gained more fame in early tv as Captain Kangaroo's dopey sidekick, Mr. Greenjeans. I hated both of them since I always had to hurry off to school while my preschool sibs sat comfortably watching these guys on tv, usually about the time "Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog" appeared. (There, I got another "fred" into the post! And I'm not making any of this stuff up.

Excellent info, jimmy. Always loved Mr. Greenjeans & Captain Kangaroo !!

By the way, colhusker's DNA Fred was British scientist Frederick Sanger and I liked his glasses for anyone who has maintained the faintest iota of interest in this topic which went off the rails pages ago. I'm a little sorry I started it now because I now find myself lying awake at night as the Freds buzz around the bed. Hopefully if we ever have to hire another basketball coach he will be named something like Podrick which will not prompt as many avatar choices.

41 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

By the way, colhusker's DNA Fred was British scientist Frederick Sanger and I liked his glasses for anyone who has maintained the faintest iota of interest in this topic which went off the rails pages ago. I'm a little sorry I started it now because I now find myself lying awake at night as the Freds buzz around the bed. Hopefully if we ever have to hire another basketball coach he will be named something like Podrick which will not prompt as many avatar choices.

Loved the Freds. Good work jimmy.