This Day is for You!

hal9000

What's an old-timer, as I often feel like one. Anyway, today was one of the greatest moments to experience as a Husker Hoops fan... or a Husker fan, in general, in the 21st century. It's been since 1946 that Nebraska basketball hired a coach who had previously been at a major Div. 1 program (it was Indiana, in that case). Think about that.... that is 63 years. So, one could say that today's announcement was sixty-three years in the making. I love Nebrasketball. I love all things Fred Hoiberg. Today, what a great day to be a Nebrasketball fanatic. Go Big FRed! GBR !!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

Age is just number, but I graduated from the U in ‘91 and always considered that season a gift from the Basketball Gods after sitting courtside the previous 5 years. Andre Smith was my idol as a kid since I played some Center at Class B Superior at 6’1”. So many names and memories, Jay Randolph on the Big 8 broadcasts, Cipriano, Stan Cloudy with that Red/White & Blue NIT ball... I’m ready like the rest of us to see what this next chapter brings, GBR!

Been a loyal Husker basketball, football and baseball fan since 1958 when I was 8 years old.

However basketball has been the most challenging allegiance due to the chronic failure to thrive. 

Went to University of Denver 1968 as a D1 baseball player after declining a UNL offer, which in those days was full tuition, etc.

I remember me and my fellow Nebraska buddies driving into eastern Colorado from Denver in 1972 through 1975 in order to get the KFAB signal to listen to the NU game while drinking a few beers. 

I remember the Cipriano and Iba and Collier and Sadler years. I was at the NU upset of #1 Michigan when we had Fred Hare as our offensive star.

i remember so many things but I am simply THRILLED that Fred Hoiberg is our coach. I told my boys that st age 69 I had come to the realization that I may not see a NCAA tournament victory before I die. Now I’m betting I will see that win!

My wife and I are season ticket holders and we can’t wait for next season.

You rang? Thanks for the day, even though I grew up as more of a K-State fan, only switching to KU when I matriculated there. However, when we moved to Lincoln in 1975 we got season tickets and attended most every game at Devaney until the Pinnacle made it too expensive and inconvenient. Many happy memories of taking my sons and grandsons to games beginning with Moe's era. Was this the best day yet? We'll see how it goes but Fred H. is a good start. Will I feel unfulfilled, sports-wise, if I do not see NU finally have NCAA tourney success? No, because being a fan is about more than getting "W"s. Any unfulfilled perception dissipated following the 2004 Red Sox season. However, I look forward to the Hoiberg era with great anticipation.

Edited by jimmykc

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Auroran asked what’s an old timer. I’d like to think that an old timer is anyone who was watching Nebraska basketball during the days of Cipriano or before. But I’m afraid the definition is probably more expansive than that and would include anyone who remembers watching games before Doc Sadler. 

If you look at other Husker message boards, it would seem that an "old timer" would include anyone that paid attention to the hoops program prior to a couple of weeks ago...

...and you wouldn't find very many of those.

I've had season tickets since 2000.   I never got to experience any success from the 90s out earlier.  

Hoiberg's press conference ranks right up there as best days as a die-hard Nebrasketball fan.

Edit: my dad had tickets off and on before I went with the game.  But again at least he's see a competent team before.

Edited by PimpMario

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

You rang? Thanks for the day, even though I grew up as more of aa K-State fan, only switching to KU when I matriculated there. However, when we moved to Lincoln in 1975 we got season tickets and attended most every game at Devaney until the Pinnacle made it too expensive and inconvenient. Many happy memories of taking my sons and grandsons to games beginning with Moe's era. Was this the best day yet? We'll see how it goes but Fred H. is a good start. Will I feel unfulfilled, sports-wise, if I do not see NU finally have NCAA tourney success? No, because being a fan is about more than getting "W"s. Any unfulfilled perception dissipated following the 2004 Red Sox season. However, I look forward to the Hoiberg era with great anticipation.

Agreed.  There is a natural tendency to measure the success of an entire 30 game season by how a team does in an single elimination tournament at the end of the year.  I admit I can get caught up in that too. 

Dad took me to me to my 1st game when I was 9. I remember. Cary Cochran raining 3s. I also remember growing up kids asking me who my favorite college basketball team “Duke, NC, Creighton” - I’d say screw all them , I’m all Nebraska Basketball.

Im not an old timer but Nebraska has been not great 99% of my life so I consider that suffering.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Auroran asked what’s an old timer. I’d like to think that an old timer is anyone who was watching Nebraska basketball during the days of Cipriano or before. But I’m afraid the definition is probably more expansive than that and would include anyone who remembers watching games before Doc Sadler. 

Cip era does seem reasonable. It was an honest inquiry, I didn't know where the cut-off was. A lot of long-suffering NU basketball fans, that's my point.

Started going to games in 1990 when I was a freshman and my fraternity brothers talked me into buying season tickets (I think the where $25). Prior to that, since I grew up in San Antonio I was primarily an NBA fan and of course a Husker football fan. I enjoyed the atmosphere and comrade of us loyal student ticket holders. What a time to be a hoops fan.

I am 67.  My favorite team of all is the Grant Simmons, Stuart Lantz, Tom Barack, Nate Branch, Willie Campbell Huskers that we’re runnerup to JoJo White and KU.  That team, under today’s tournament of 68 teams, would have won a NCAA game.  

With Hoiberg’s hire, I am cautiously optimistic.   If it can be done in Lubbock, Texas and Auburn, Alabama then why not in Lincoln?