Thomas Allen is NOT N

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

He's from Raleigh and he originally committed there before Gottfried was fired. Makes a lot of sense.

@Husker4theSpurs was probably on the money about his body language 

yeah, that does. hopefully he'll be happier. 

well, if we're going to have a bare cupboard, year 1's the time to do it. 

On 4/2/2019 at 8:50 PM, 49r said:

UConn have a need for a PG on their roster?

I'm not a betting man but if someone gave me UConn vs the field on where Allen lands, I'd take UConn.

But wherever he ends up I wish him the best of luck!

...and here is exhibit #1 as to why I am not a betting man.

23 hours ago, HoiBall said:

Tom is a pretty good player, but Hoibergs offense at Iowa State did not have many small guards. With the exeception of an all American point guard in Monte Morris Fred likes length that can shoot. Not that he wouldn’t have taken Thomas, but we won’t see a lot of guards that look like him going forward.

Monte Morris is a straight baller, he's definitely the exception (as far as height). Hoiberg wants dudes who can D up and light it up.

Edited by AuroranHusker

40 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Monte Morris is a straight baller, he's definitely the exception (as far as height). Hoiberg wants dudes who can D up and light it up.

Don't forget Korie Lucious. The pgs were generally smaller. Also look at the other pgs he recruited (Sledge, Custard) they were smaller (most left because they weren't ever playing over Morris).

7 minutes ago, GoClones said:

Don't forget Korie Lucious. The pgs were generally smaller. Also look at the other pgs he recruited (Sledge, Custard) they were smaller (most left because they weren't ever playing over Morris).

We weren't discussing PGs, per se. Just guards. And, within the past day, Nebraska lost a 2-guard who's 6'-1" in Thomas Allen.

Edited by AuroranHusker

40 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Played a big role in hammering Creighton so no Ill will here.  

Yeah, that was such a fun game. Wish more B1G games had been that well-played. No Cope doomed NU's weak depth, ultimately. But, yeah, I think the Huskers will find adequate guards to compete next season, and T.A. will be back in the Carolinas. All's good. GBR

• 1 month later...

This writer sort of takes a shot at the Huskers on behalf of Tom.  Surgery is this week.  Whoever edited this did a poor job!

https://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2019/05/former-nebraska-basketball-player-thomas-allen-discloses-hell-need-surgery-on-ankle-002915707.html

MRI reveals something worse

Thomas Allen announced the latest happening on his official Twitter account. "After three months I finally got an MRI last week on my ankle and found out I have to have surgery on Wednesday, everything happens for a reason.

Thomas Allen apparently needs surgery afrer rehabbing for months. [Image via HuskerOnline Video/YouTube]
Thomas Allen apparently needs surgery afrer rehabbing for months. [Image via HuskerOnline Video/YouTube]

I know I will come back better than I was before putting it all in God’s hand."

It has to be incredibly frustrating for Allen, who was likely wondering why in the world it was taking so long for his injury to heal. It also doesn't a particularly favorable light on the Huskers and their athletic training staff. Of course, it's possible that the same group would have suggested before now that Allen get another look at the ankle if he had remained a member of the Nebraska basketball team.

12 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Of course, it's possible that the same group would have suggested before now that Allen get another look at the ankle if he had remained a member of the Nebraska basketball team.

Well, yeah. If an ankle injury lingered this long we would have tried to figure out why.

This seems like an issue where it was diagnosed that it would take X number of days/weeks to heal and he probably got lost a little in the shuffle when he transferred. 

To me the issue I"m reading from his tweets are that some people opined he was dogging it when in fact he was not.

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Well, yeah. If an ankle injury lingered this long we would have tried to figure out why.

This seems like an issue where it was diagnosed that it would take X number of days/weeks to heal and he probably got lost a little in the shuffle when he transferred. 

To me the issue I"m reading from his tweets are that some people opined he was dogging it when in fact he was not.

This is eerily similar to what happened in the McDermott-Wesley Johnson transfer situation at Iowa State.

19 minutes ago, busticket said:

This is eerily similar to what happened in the McDermott-Wesley Johnson transfer situation at Iowa State.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/02/how_wes_johnson_went_from_iowa.html

This is what you're referring to.  The big difference is that Nebraska's staff didn't think Allen was being soft. Also I think it's probable that Allen would have transferred out if he had been healthy the entire time....he was on the fence after his freshman year when Kenya left.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/02/how_wes_johnson_went_from_iowa.html

This is what you're referring to.  The big difference is that Nebraska's staff didn't think Allen was being soft. Also I think it's probable that Allen would have transferred out if he had been healthy the entire time....he was on the fence after his freshman year when Kenya left.

Just curious... who were the people opining Allen was dogging it from your earlier post?  I was reading into it being the coaches but apparently I misinterpreted.

1 hour ago, busticket said:

Just curious... who were the people opining Allen was dogging it from your earlier post?  I was reading into it being the coaches but apparently I misinterpreted.

I would guess either from people he knows who read the internet or else him reading the internet.  He was a guy who throughout last season would put out tweets where he'd seem to address fans 'sticking with the team' and it always seemed sort of unnecessary.

Well, this surgery on Weds. definitively puts to bed the notion that Tom Allen could have been back for the post-season, which is what Tim Miles mentioned on multiple occasions. So fans might have assumed that Miles would know the situation, but evidently that was a smoke-screen for opponents to have to figure out for themselves whether TA would play...

32 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Well, this surgery on Weds. definitively puts to bed the notion that Tom Allen could have been back for the post-season, which is what Tim Miles mentioned on multiple occasions. So fans might have assumed that Miles would know the situation, but evidently that was a smoke-screen for opponents to have to figure out for themselves whether TA would play...

Seems like Miles was saying he would be back for the post season because he thought he would be back for the post season because whatever diagnosis we had didn't involve surgery. 

Here is some actual information

Pack Pride has confirmed that Allen’s injury a torn ligament and cartilage injury to the top of the left ankle. Allen was advised he did not need to have an MRI done back in February when he injured his ankle initially, but was unable to play the remainder of the season.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina-state/Article/NC-State-guard-Thomas-Allen-set-for-surgery-on-ankle-injury-132174438/

I do believe there is more to this story.  My son and I had a chance to talk to Tom after the Butler game.  During warm ups before this game, Tom was out taking shots, moving normally and having fun with the guys.  He was not doing any sort of agility drills or cutting on his ankle so it was tough to discern if he was really close to playing or not.  Anyways, after the game, we were chatting with Tom and we asked how his ankle was.  He said he was getting close and he was planning to try and give it a go against TCU.  My son and I made the trek to Fort Worth for the TCU game and Tom did not participate in warmups and we noticed he was walking with much more of a limp.  He certainly looked to be in far more discomfort and pain prior to the TCU game than he was before Butler.  So, my guess is that Tom's ankle was starting to feel better with rest leading up to the TCU game.  I believe he either further injured or aggravated the existing injury in the days after the Butler game leading up to TCU game trying to give it a go in practice.  Given the timing that the season ended against TCU and Tom entered his name shortly thereafter into the transfer portal, there really wasn't much time for Nebraska's medical staff to re-evaluate his ankle.  I suspect that Nebraska saw nothing of significant concern on the initial x-rays they took and decided that rest and rehab was the best course of action and I presume the next course of action would have been an MRI if there was no improvement to the ankle.  If Tom would have stuck around, I feel pretty confident that he would have undergone the same MRI and been scheduled for the same surgery that he is having now.  I do not believe this reflects poorly on the medical training staff and was just an unfortunate set of circumstances and timing.