The Mayor's State of the Union Address

Hoiberg on BTN Live:

"(At Iowa State) I give my staff a lot of credit to go out and find the talent to compete."

"We're going to try to put an exciting tempo out there on the floor (uptempo)."

"In college you didn't have an analytics person (back at ISU)... (learned a lot in his time in the NBA about analytics, from players to the game plan)."

"(Hoiberg's three point shot) is like riding a bike... none of my players have beat me at a three-point shooting contest."

4 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

It's the worst. Ever since the rumors gained traction Des Moines radio cannot stop talking about Nebraska and trying to come up with everything they can to try and bash us. It's embarrassing

I'm surprised they haven't tried to bring back Chris Hassel to do those wonderful "Cooter Ray Cornholer" impressions on Channel 13.....

22 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Rumor spreaders will never apologize.

They weren't wrong.

What Hoiberg and Moos said might have been technically true.  But the way the dance is done in these situations allows them to have some finality without having to admit it was already a done deal.

It allows all parties an opportunity to save face in just this kind of situation.

I know this will annoy folks in here, but Peterson and the Des Moines TV guy being there and asking about Iowa State was absolutely the responsible thing to do for their readers/viewers. This obviously is a huge deal there. 

If they took over the introductory press conference it would have been bush league. Peterson is a pro and handled it well. 

Didn't get a chance to chime in but here is a picture

HoibergPresser.jpg

Had a chance to talk to Johnny Trueblood and asked him if he thought he would come back next year. He said he didn't know yet so looks like it might be an option.

Spoke with Isaiah a bit. I didn't ask him ?

I enjoyed Stephen Bardo's comments after the press conference and then later on BTN Live, paraphrasing, "No offense to Ames, Iowa but Lincoln Nebraska is a WAY better place to recruit to and the facilities blow ISU's out of the water, and obviously I'm biased but the Big Ten is a better conference than the Big 12"

?

Also the talk about Hoiberg running a "positionless" system similar to Miles' is going to be problematic for some 'Sker fans who still can't wrap their minds around the notion that the traditional big man #5 is kind of becoming a thing of the past.

For those who think that we'll finally see a big man back on the team, like a Purdue, they may be bitterly disappointed.

Just now, 49r said:

Also the talk about Hoiberg running a "positionless" system similar to Miles' is going to be problematic for some 'Sker fans who still can't wrap their minds around the notion that the traditional big man #5 is kind of becoming a thing of the past.

For those who think that we'll finally see a big man back on the team, like a Purdue, they may be bitterly disappointed.

Which begs the question: Is Brady capable of being that "position-less big man"? Can he shoot from deep, pass, etc.?

1 minute ago, 49r said:

I was thinking the same thing driving home listening to a sports show talking about Roby playing out of position and needing a traditional center to get garbage buckets and whatnot thinking that I disagreed with that assessment 

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Which begs the question: Is Brady capable of being that "position-less big man"? Can he shoot from deep, pass, etc.?

I get the feeling he's going to have to learn how to be if he wants to get on the floor.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

I was thinking the same thing driving home listening to a sports show talking about Roby playing out of position and needing a traditional center to get garbage buckets and whatnot thinking that I disagreed with that assessment 

Lol the wild irony is that after all our waffling and fretting over the years as Nebraska basketball fans about never having a good dominant big man, we may never have (or need) a Bruno-like guy on the team ever again. I was one of those people.

But now, I absolutely love how visionary and offensively cutting edge our coach is now in the sport. I'm so excited to see the new team structure on the floor in action, but all of us are stoked to see his OOT play calls and coaching style in action

1 minute ago, 49r said:

I get the feeling he's going to have to learn how to be if he wants to get on the floor.

I think thor and borchardt (despite his weight) are going to fit in very nicely in hoiberg's system. I dont see heiman getting many minutes unfortunately. I could see him changing and learning, but maybe not featured with his play style and body type. Never say never, I mean people can change and I believe that 

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

They weren't wrong.

What Hoiberg and Moos said might have been technically true.  But the way the dance is done in these situations allows them to have some finality without having to admit it was already a done deal.

It allows all parties an opportunity to save face in just this kind of situation.

To be fair, I don't think the "rumors" Art was referring to in the original post had anything to do with the timing or finalization of the NU/Hoiberg agreement.  Its the smear campaign that went on trying to trash Moos and the job he was doing as AD.

3 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

To be fair, I don't think the "rumors" Art was referring to in the original post had anything to do with the timing or finalization of the NU/Hoiberg agreement.  Its the smear campaign that went on trying to trash Moos and the job he was doing as AD.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about as well, but based on information that I have heard a while back, I think it's ok to still be critical of Moos and his handling of some situations during the Miles tenure.  I think you can be critical of Moos and his handling of situations during the Miles tenure while also pointing out that this was a great hire for the basketball program.  It doesn't have to be an either/or.  

52 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

They weren't wrong.

I wasn't talking about the coaching hire.  I was talking about people over the last month or two who seemed to take pleasure in talking about the habits of the A.D.  Verified or not....

Just now, hskr4life said:

I don't know if this is what you are talking about as well, but based on information that I have heard a while back, I think it's ok to still be critical of Moos and his handling of some situations during the Miles tenure.  I think you can be critical of Moos and his handling of situations during the Miles tenure while also pointing out that this was a great hire for the basketball program.  It doesn't have to be an either/or.  

Wasn't necessarily talking about his handling of the hoops program.  I can understand those that may want to criticize things that may have went on with support or how he handled the extension. We all wanted to see the school make a commitment to the hoops program, and it appears we may finally be doing that. In the end it's hard to argue with where Moos has us right now. 

My post was more directed at all the drinking rumors, shots at his personal life, and claiming he's just a figure head who would be out soon. Again, it's hard to argue with the results. I'll take him as my AD any day.

1 hour ago, GATA said:

I know this will annoy folks in here, but Peterson and the Des Moines TV guy being there and asking about Iowa State was absolutely the responsible thing to do for their readers/viewers. This obviously is a huge deal there. 

If they took over the introductory press conference it would have been bush league. Peterson is a pro and handled it well. 

I think it was embarrassing. 

21 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

Wasn't necessarily talking about his handling of the hoops program.  I can understand those that may want to criticize things that may have went on with support or how he handled the extension. We all wanted to see the school make a commitment to the hoops program, and it appears we may finally be doing that. In the end it's hard to argue with where Moos has us right now. 

My post was more directed at all the drinking rumors, shots at his personal life, and claiming he's just a figure head who would be out soon. Again, it's hard to argue with the results. I'll take him as my AD any day.

‘Thank you, that is exactly what I meant. Also the people on him for leaving Miles twisting in the end. It seems like all involved knew what was up and not sure Fred would have been happy if Moos did not let Miles finish what he started. Yes there are a couple things I disagree with that Moos did but overall I think he is great and doing a great job for my school. Lucky to have him