The Mayor's State of the Union Address

How has the landscape of college basketball changed in the last 9 years:

Hoiberg likes Travis' shoes.

"There's more transfers in the game now... There's 1,000 kids in that transfer portal... Now that's a pretty big part of teams... That may be as big a thing as any... now you're competing with a lot more schools."

Moos: "I think we're in real good shape... hired 5 new head coaches since I've been here... This is a special day and a fun day. There's excitement in the air... The expectations are just this. This is a tremendous university and we're showing and proving (athletically and academically) that we're truly a destination for the very best... I expect these coaches to be here for a long time."

19 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

What to say to ISU fans:

Hoiberg: "I love the direction of Iowa State basketball right now. We played a big part in that success... I'm proud of what we did there... It was a great run. I loved everything we did. I love going back... I'll always be a fan... I hope they can support the situation that I'm in now."

Highlight was his response “What do you want me to say to them.”  

Post conference thoughts:

• It now seems like this may be a destination for Hoiberg
  • Moos and Hoiberg were very respectful about Miles' job and waited to discuss the job until afterward (March 4 contact, but Hoiberg asked to talk later)
  • It's great to hear that Miles and Hoiberg have been in talks. I don't care what anybody says, Miles is a high character guy regardless of the result he had here at Nebraska.
  • I'm excited. Hoiberg talks about how working the hardest and smartest will lead to success; both our top men's programs needed an overhaul in that

Amazing how the ISU beat writer for the Des Moines Register and the sport director at one of the main Des Moines TV stations was there and both asked ridiculous questions.  Peterson, the DSM Register guy was the one who asked how ISU fans should feel about this.  The Des Moines TV guy was the one who asked the Iowa Hawkeye question.  

Sigh.....

Just now, Klas3131 said:

Amazing how the ISU beat writer for the Des Moines Register and the sport director at one of the main Des Moines TV stations was there and both asked ridiculous questions.  Peterson, the DSM Register guy was the one who asked how ISU fans should feel about this.  The Des Moines TV guy was the one who asked the Iowa Hawkeye question.  

Sigh.....

Even more amazing was the fact that we had out of state news reporters at an introductory press conference for a Nebraska Basketball coach.  Shows you how much our program has grown.

11 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Post conference thoughts:

• It now seems like this may be a destination for Hoiberg
  • Moos and Hoiberg were very respectful about Miles' job and waited to discuss the job until afterward (March 4 contact, but Hoiberg asked to talk later)
  • It's great to hear that Miles and Hoiberg have been in talks. I don't care what anybody says, Miles is a high character guy regardless of the result he had here at Nebraska.
  • I'm excited. Hoiberg talks about how working the hardest and smartest will lead to success; both our top men's programs needed an overhaul in that

Also people need to apologize to Bil Moos. The guy is doing things the right way despite having people out to get him. Hope he is around a long time. Gift at the end was a great touch.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Even more amazing was the fact that we had out of state news reporters at an introductory press conference for a Nebraska Basketball coach.  Shows you how much our program has grown.

True.  But living in Iowa, it's just another example of the obsession many here have with Nebraska.  They think we're obsessed with them.   Yeah, right.  The local sports shows here constantly talk about Nebraska, and well before the Hoiberg rumors.  When I go to Lincoln for games, I tell people in Nebraska what ass hats these guys are over here.  I tell these idiots here that Nebraska fans really don't care about them.  However, the more Nebraska fans are around them, the more they are starting to see how annoying they (Iowa/ISU fans) truly are.  

Edited by Klas3131

If there were any questions whether he's just here for a quick (big) paycheck before moving on, or that he's worn down from his time in Chicago and that he's not truly ready to jump back into coaching, those should be gone.

Pretty clear he's locked in on this job from his comments and the way he addressed things today.

Now that doesn't mean he may not take another job down the road. Things change. But he's all-in here right now.

Also got the impression that getting fired from the Bulls has really lit a fire under him. He said everything that he should about the Bulls opportunity, very complimentary, but I felt like there was an undercurrent of being pissed about being fired and being ready to prove someone wrong about whether his system can work.

I was expecting to be impressed, but overall, it went far better than I even expected.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Did he go into any depth on the players we have committed/returning?

Not really. Just said he met with the whole team today, had spoken with a few via phone previously, and will meet with them individually Friday. Mentioned we have a few in the transfer portal and have a potential early-entry draft candidate. But no decisions made yet.

He did say he was going to sit down and watch every game from this season. He'll be prepared to help all those guys make the best decisions by Friday, I would imagine.

8 minutes ago, throwback said:

He did say he was going to sit down and watch every game from this season.

Hopefully that gets him fired up. With the ebs and flow of the season, the shortcomings but the grit at the end of the season, the talent lost due to injury but fight found in people stepping up from the bench. The season was a disappointment, but there's also some things to be proud about with this team as well.

16 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

True.  But living in Iowa, it's just another example of the obsession many here have with Nebraska.  They think we're obsessed with them.   Yeah, right.  The local sports shows here constantly talk about Nebraska, and well before the Hoiberg rumors.  When I go to Lincoln for games, I tell people in Nebraska what ass hats these guys are over here.  I tell these idiots here that Nebraska fans really don't care about them.  However, the more Nebraska fans are around them, the more they are starting to see how annoying they (Iowa/ISU fans) truly are.  

It's the worst. Ever since the rumors gained traction Des Moines radio cannot stop talking about Nebraska and trying to come up with everything they can to try and bash us. It's embarrassing