Ever hooped against a Husker?

GATA

56 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Brody Deren, Chad Millard and the last guy was a baseball player at Wayne State and played independent baseball for a few years named Dustin Jones. 

Brody is crazy strong/big/hard to move. 

Chad didnt really seem to like basketball much but he actually had some pretty impressive skills when he wanted.

Thanks MH. I figured Millard was in the mix from previous discussions you had made about Thenarse & lil' Chad.

33 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Thanks MH. I figured Millard was in the mix from previous discussions you had made about Thenarse & lil' Chad.

Ya, I will probably remove or edit that post. Not really one to bash others like that when it would be fairly easy for him to know who I am.

I didnt personally see eye-to-eye with Chad but others seemed to like him.

Brody on the other hand is a GREAT dude. Yet, still a blue jay... so there is that.

2 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Ya, I will probably remove or edit that post. Not really one to bash others like that when it would be fairly easy for him to know who I am.

I didnt personally see eye-to-eye with Chad but others seemed to like him.

Brody on the other hand is a GREAT dude. Yet, still a blue jay... so there is that.

Gotcha. I have no issue with calling a spade a spade. It's all good, MH.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh man. This thread brings back some memories! I probably spent more time on the rec/coliseum courts than I did going to class.

Huskers I can still remember playing with/against in pick-up games or intramurals: Erick Strickland, Bernard Garner, Jaron Boone, Tom Wald, Ty Lue, Alvin Mitchell, Andy Markowski, Scott Frost, Barron Miles, Eric Warfield, Tommie Frazier, Matt Turman, Doug Colman, Shevin Wiggins, Lis Brenden, Meggan Yedsena, Kate Galligan... and probably quite a few others that I either forget or didn't know who they were at the time (see: women's basketball team, and football players w/o helmets or jersey numbers).

The memories that stand out most from those times, usually come from occasions where I managed to put the clamps on someone. I dunno, there's just something about getting the better of a guy who should be far-superior-to-you athletically. I mean, I enjoyed playing defense anyway... but doing well against a scholarship athlete was a whole other level of satisfaction.

For instance, I had to guard Frost in a pick-up game once (I was the tallest). It was during his redshirt. He was pretty beefy. I fully expected to get bully-balled from the first check, but I locked him up for the game. I've always questioned whether he had just gotten done lifting (or some other reason)... but as long as he's head ballcoach, I'll always be able to (during a Husker game) say, "Did I ever tell you about the time I held Scott Frost scoreless in a pickup game?"

tenor.gif

Also, does anyone here know, or maybe even willing to claim being, the infamous rec courts' pick-upball player known as "Bird"? Don't think I ever caught the guy's name, even though I played with/against him like 100 times. He was just always known as "Bird" ("Hey, who's got Bird?"). If you've never seen him play, you can figure out what his game was like from his nickname.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:06 AM, GATA said:

Probably the the best basketball player I ever faced in high school or pick up ball was Warfield. He was incredible. A smoothe player with easy athleticism and a good jumper. He would have been a nice addition to the men’s team.  

Probably the highlight of my "athletic career" was blocking Warfield on a dunk attempt. I didn't get him at the rim, but it was pretty damn close. Felt like a million bucks after that.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:35 PM, Art Vandalay said:

Tons of football guys but Barron Miles and Kenny Walker really stood out and Byron Bennett was a douche.

I guarded Miles once during pickup (after he'd already gone pro) and had no idea that's who it was. Only afterwards, when we were leaving, and my buddy goes "You pretty much shut Miles down." I said "Miles who?" And his reply was "Dude! That was friggin BARRON MILES!"

On 4/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, hal9000 said:

Never got a chance to play with or against Piatkowski, which I always regretted. 

I saw him (Eric) shooting in the coliseum once, with no one else around. I debated for a good solid 15 minutes whether I should go get wrecked in HORSE or 1v1, before I just decided not to bother him.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:31 AM, TZAHL said:

Anyone ever play with high jumper Shane Lavy?

YES!! Dude was a freakshow. Always had a better time when we were on the same team than when I had to guard him.

I forgot about this one. Back in the early 80's I played a lot of pick up ball on the courts at 40th and South Streets, by the golf course. A lot of football players played there. One day I got stuck as the 1 in a 3 on 1. The guy in the middle with the ball was back up QB Nate Mason. On my left was Turner Gill. The guy on the right was some schlub like me. I decided that if I forced Mason to give up the ball he'd almost certainly pass it to Gill. So I jab stepped toward Mason and then broke toward Gill. Sure enough, Mason picked up his dribble and threw it to Gill. Unfortunately, Gill cut in hard and we collided full tilt. Now this was the summer after he had the leg injury which caused some nerve damage and people were still hoping he'd come back 100%. I stood up, rubbing my arm where I'd scraped some skin off and then looked down at Gill. He was rolling around on the court, holding his leg. I swear that I started planning my escape route from Nebraska on the back roads, thinking I had reinjured Gill's bad leg. It turned out that he had just tweaked the ankle on his other leg, but for a few seconds I thought I was doomed. Bartman before Bartman.

Oh and Mason had a temper. Not dangerous, just ultra-highly competitive. One game I was particularly hot from the outside and Mason was again on the other team. He eventually grabbed the guy guarding me, threw him over toward his guy and started guarding me. The next time we had the ball I faked a shot from about 20 feet and Mason jumped up. As he passed over me I ducked down and shot the ball from a crazy angle under his arm. Swish. He went bat-shit crazy. I just gave him the look like "dude, you can't stop me." Yeah, I was being a jerk, but I couldn't help it. Oh, and pretty much any other time he could have stopped me dead cold.  

Edited by Ashfan