Fred Hoiberg is N

hhcmatt

10 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Have You Seen This?

Alfred "Bud" Pagel was a legendary journalism instructor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Journalism.

As an undergrad, I had Mr. Pagel for a reporting class, and he went around the room asking each of us what our career goals were.

He came to one earnest young woman and asked her.

"I'd like to be a television anchor," she said.

"Oh, honey (it was the early '80s)," Pagel replied. "Television isn't journalism. It's show business."

My corollary: And in Des Moines, it's bad show business.

13 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Alfred "Bud" Pagel was a legendary journalism instructor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Journalism.

As an undergrad, I had Mr. Pagel for a reporting class, and he went around the room asking each of us what our career goals were.

He came to one earnest young woman and asked her.

"I'd like to be a television anchor," she said.

"Oh, honey (it was the early '80s)," Pagel replied. "Television isn't journalism. It's show business."

My corollary: And in Des Moines, it's bad show business.

Please enlighten me on Iowans' incessant fetish for all things Husker.... jealousy? envy? stupidity?

Edited by AuroranHusker

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Please enlighten me on Iowans' incessant fetish for all things Husker.... jealousy? envy? stupidity?

It's jealousy.  Pure and simple.  I've grown up with it my whole life living in Iowa.  They want what Nebraska has.  Football success.  A history in football.  Plus, it GALLS them the amount of Husker fans that live in Iowa.  Our local group, Iowans for Nebraska, have HUGE meetings and outings with hundreds of Husker fans.  We draw just as many people to gatherings in Des Moines as Hawkeye fans do to their local gatherings.  They can't stand it.  They think we are an arrogant and horrible fanbase.  And yes, like any fanbase, we have our idiots too.  But they are the most arrogant fanbase on the face of the earth.  They think we are dumb with our "Go Big Red" chant.  But they walk around yelling "Go Hawks".  Actually, it's Go HOXXXXXXXXXX".  I want to punch everyone of of them in the face.

1 minute ago, Klas3131 said:

It's jealousy.  Pure and simple.  I've grown up with it my whole life living in Iowa.  They want what Nebraska has.  Football success.  A history in football.  Plus, it GALLS them the amount of Husker fans that live in Iowa.  Our local group, Iowans for Nebraska, have HUGE meetings and outings with hundreds of Husker fans.  We draw just as many people to gatherings in Des Moines as Hawkeye fans do to their local gatherings.  They can't stand it.  They think we are an arrogant and horrible fanbase.  And yes, like any fanbase, we have our idiots too.  But they are the most arrogant fanbase on the face of the earth.  They think we are dumb with our "Go Big Red" chant.  But they walk around yelling "Go Hawks".  Actually, it's Go HOXXXXXXXXXX".  I want to punch everyone of of them in the face.

Do you ever meet in IC, the Quad Cities, Decorah, CR?

16 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Also, they think they are "cute" because they like to call Iowa State fans "Clowns".  And their latest thing is they like to call Nebraska "Debbie".  Like "Little Debbie".  Yes, SOOOO funny.  

Just now, jayschool said:

Do you ever meet in IC, the Quad Cities, Decorah, CR?

Unfortunately, no.  Just in the Des Moines area.  The group should be called "Central Iowans for Nebraska".  But we welcome all Iowans.  It would be cool for other areas of the state to get clubs too.  If you ever want information on how to start up one, I can pass your info on to our club leadership and I'm sure they'd love to help you get something started.

11 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Thanks. It's what I kinda figured. Nebraska kicked a$$ in football for decades--half a century, really--while lolowa & ISU have both generally been mediocre for a hundred years. Sux to be Iowan. ? ? ?

Edited by AuroranHusker

11 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Also, they think they are "cute" because they like to call Iowa State fans "Clowns".  And their latest thing is they like to call Nebraska "Debbie".  Like "Little Debbie".  Yes, SOOOO funny.  

Iolowa fans are generally rather dumb. Sorry, man. ISU fans usually know they've sucked. lolowa fans think they're the sh!t. It's super weird. I usually don't ever think about either of 'em, but living in Omaha the Hoxxxxx are now surrounding us in their Pittsburgh Steeler gear. lolol -- I am friends with ISU alums and they're cool, for the most part. I can hang around 'Clones, which I have similar thoughts to MSU in that regard. Yet... Mythagain, once again, feel like they're arrogant pricks more often than not, or so it seems. Just super weird. Oh well.

Edited by AuroranHusker

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Thanks. It's what I kinda figured. Nebraska kicked a$$ in football for decades while lolowa & ISU have both generally been mediocre. Sux to be Iowan. ? ? ?

These dolts still call their football season a few years ago as their "undefeated season".  Yes, they were 12-0, but they seem to somehow forget they lost the Big Ten title game and got humiliated in the Rose Bowl to finish 12-2.  

1 minute ago, Klas3131 said:

These dolts still call their football season a few years ago as their "undefeated season".  Yes, they were 12-0, but they seem to somehow forget they lost the Big Ten title game and got humiliated in the Rose Bowl to finish 12-2.  

Damn Fools. They lost the two most important games. lolowa lolol

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Iolowa fans are generally rather dumb. Sorry, man. ISU fans usually know they've sucked. lolowa fans think they're the sh!t. It's super weird. I usually don't ever think about either of 'em, but living in Omaha the Hoxxxxx are now surrounding us in their Pittsburgh Steeler gear. lolol

That's just it.  When Nebraska moved to the Big Ten, they went apeshit.  Couldn't wait to "pummel" us in everything and how big a rivalry it would be.  Obsession.  Going to many games in Lincoln each year, I tried to tell them that "Nebraska fans really don't care about you.  You are just another Big Ten team to them."  I'd talk about Iowa and Husker fans would just smile and not say much.  I'd tell them "you don't understand.  Iowa fans are obsessed with Nebraska.  It's creepy.  They HATE us (jealousy) and want to beat us so badly."  Well, the more those stupid "bumblebees" invade Lincoln each year, our fans are/will starting to see that.  

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Damn Fools. They lost the two most important games. lolowa lolol

They also like to say how they've DOMINATED the Big Ten West since (or the former Legends division) since we joined the Big Ten.  Like to laugh that we've only made 1 Big Ten title game in football since we joined the conference.  You know, the exact same amount of Big Ten title games they've been to since we joined.  LOL

And hoops - oh man.  They think they are UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke all wrapped into one.  Disgusting.  With Hoiberg on board, my hope is we start kicking their arse EVERY single time we play them.  

5 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread with my rantings.  Years of pent up frustration is bubbling over.  LOL

It's definitely good information to know. The only time I ever really think about Iowa or Iowa State is either the days leading up to a game against them or if I'm flipping through the channels and one of their games comes on. That's about it.

I never realized Iowa and Nebraska had any animosity. Having just spent a night in Des Moines (Ankeny, actually) they seemed to treat us pretty well. I even discovered that Gordon Lightfoot would be giving a concert in Cedar Rapids in June. He must not be as dead as I thought. It is a very boring state to drive through, although for the umpteenth time I neglected to stop at the Bob Feller museum which might have spiced up the trip.

50 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

I read something on Hawkeye Report or Hawkeye Nation or one of those sites about this when I was lurking around B1G message boards looking for Hoiberg reaction and a Hawkeye fan explained the whole "Debby" thing.  It goes like this.

They think it's fun to assign female names as nicknames for their rivals because they think it's "emasculating".  Not sure why it's important to do so, but it must have something to do with their own insecurity and latent homosexuality or something...whatever, pardon my digression...but the way it works is they take a nickname and change a letter or two to achieve this.  

For example, in Wisconsin's case, they use "Bucky" because it's the name of the Wisconsin mascot and change one letter to make it "Becky".  Preeeetttyyy clever, eh???

For Nebraska, they have (for some unknown reason) eschewed the very commonplace "derogatory" Nubs or Nubbers that you see pretty much everywhere else and instead choose "Nebby" as being short for Nebraska.  Taken a step further then they replace the N with a D and we get "Debby".  Preeeetttyyy clever, eh???

Those Iowans, man, they don't miss a beat!

Edited by 49r

8 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I never realized Iowa and Nebraska had any animosity. Having just spent a night in Des Moines (Ankeny, actually) they seemed to treat us pretty well. I even discovered that Gordon Lightfoot would be giving a concert in Cedar Rapids in June. He must not be as dead as I thought. It is a very boring state to drive through, although for the umpteenth time I neglected to stop at the Bob Feller museum which might have spiced up the trip.

Funny that you say it's boring to drive through.  That's another thing Iowans love to say - how BORING Nebraska is to drive through.

I live 9 miles from Van Meter.  The Bob Feller museum has actually been closed for a few years now.  When Bob was still alive, he would visit often for autograph sessions and bring along other Hall of Famers to do the same.  He even got Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier and Eric Crouch to come for a day to sign autographs.  Hawkeye fans LOVED that.  LOL

Anyway, Feller autographed his book for me.  Very cool experience as I'm a lifelong Cleveland Indians fan.....

10 minutes ago, 49r said:

I read something on Hawkeye Report or Hawkeye Nation or one of those sites about this when I was lurking around B1G message boards looking for Hoiberg reaction and a Hawkeye fan explained the whole "Debby" thing.  It goes like this.

They think it's fun to assign female names as nicknames for their rivals because they think it's "emasculating".  Not sure why it's important to do so, but it must have something to do with their own insecurity and latent homosexuality or something...whatever, pardon my digression...but the way it works is they take a nickname and change a letter or two to achieve this.  

For example, in Wisconsin's case, they use "Bucky" because it's the name of the Wisconsin mascot and change one letter to make it "Becky".  Preeeetttyyy clever, eh???

For Nebraska, they have (for some unknown reason) eschewed the very commonplace "derogatory" Nubs or Nubbers that you see pretty much everywhere else and instead choose "Nebby" as being short for Nebraska.  Taken a step further then they replace the N with a D and we get "Debby".  Preeeetttyyy clever, eh???

Those Iowans, man, they don't miss a beat!

I've heard that explanation too.  I think it depends on which idiot you talk to.  The ones I've talked to say they think Nebraska is about as masculine as "Little Debbie".  

And I've also heard them call Wisconsin "Connie".....

Next time the Gophers come to town, talk with some of their fans.  They HATE Iowa like no one else.  I'll never forget a few years ago at the football game in Lincoln when a pocket of Gopher fans near me starting chanting "We hate Iowa!".  It was awesome.  I quickly chimed in with them!

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Iowa seems to be filled with Idiots Out Wandering Around. So the moniker fits, and it annoys Iowans. But, I really don't think much about 'em except when somebody brings 'em up on here. I couldn't care less about their insecurities. Damn fools.

Edited by AuroranHusker