Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Handy Johnson

Woo Woo here comes the Hype train!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

 

So with that logic, does that make Ernie Kent the best coach Nebraska would ever have?

Probably...Nebraska has been so awful it hasn’t hired a P5 coach in 40+ years. Think about that and let it sink in. This program has been historically awful. As fans we see the nice facilities and a packed arena and ignore the fact we are the love able losers of college basketball. I’m telling you; Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Illinois are going to be affected when the sleeping giant awakes. It’s happening. Enjoy it. Notice I didn’t mention Creighton because IMO this FBI issue is about to get that program as the NCAA will punish them instead of a blue blood 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

 

So with that logic, does that make Ernie Kent the best coach Nebraska would ever have?

 

Ernie's numbers at Oregon and Danny's numbers at Nebraska are remarkably similar, and would have been more so had Danny broken through in the Tournament and beaten Xavier or Penn or New Mexico State.  

 

  Ernie Danny
Seasons 13 14
Record 235-173  254-190
W % 0.576 0.572
Conference Record 109-125 88-116
CW % 0.466 0.431
NIT appearances 2 5
NIT Semis 2 2
NIT Champ 0 1
NCAA 5 5
NCAA R32 2 0
NCAA SS 2 0
NCAA EE 2 0
NCAA Record 6-5 0-5
20+ wins 4 7
22+ wins 4 1
25+ wins 2 1
Seasons >.500 8 11
Seasons <.500 3 3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

Probably...Nebraska has been so awful it hasn’t hired a P5 coach in 40+ years. Think about that and let it sink in. This program has been historically awful. As fans we see the nice facilities and a packed arena and ignore the fact we are the love able losers of college basketball. I’m telling you; Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Illinois are going to be affected when the sleeping giant awakes. It’s happening. Enjoy it. Notice I didn’t mention Creighton because IMO this FBI issue is about to get that program as the NCAA will punish them instead of a blue blood 

Look at the total number of wins decade by decade and you can’t say with a straight face that Nebraska has been “historically awful.” That’s based solely on their NCAA record which isn’t the only barometer of their success or failures.

Edited by Handy Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many conference championships does Nebraska have, how many conference tournament championships does Nebraska have, sweet 16 appearances, final fours, top 2 finishes in league play, NCAA Tourney wins..........Nebraska is historically one of the worst P5 programs based on those metrics. Wins against IUPUI and random crap teams in "money" games isn't how success is measured. It's time as fans to think differently because we now have an AD department with full financial support to break all the glass ceilings listed above and the coach to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

How many conference championships does Nebraska have, how many conference tournament championships does Nebraska have, sweet 16 appearances, final fours, top 2 finishes in league play, NCAA Tourney wins..........Nebraska is historically one of the worst P5 programs based on those metrics. Wins against IUPUI and random crap teams in "money" games isn't how success is measured. It's time as fans to think differently because we now have an AD department with full financial support to break all the glass ceilings listed above and the coach to do it. 

 

I think most of the people on this board have moved forward, but you seem to be stuck at pointing out the program's historical flaws. Come join us, it should be a fun ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOATHLON said:

How many conference championships does Nebraska have, how many conference tournament championships does Nebraska have, sweet 16 appearances, final fours, top 2 finishes in league play, NCAA Tourney wins..........Nebraska is historically one of the worst P5 programs based on those metrics. Wins against IUPUI and random crap teams in "money" games isn't how success is measured. It's time as fans to think differently because we now have an AD department with full financial support to break all the glass ceilings listed above and the coach to do it. 

DUDE lighten up, get your balls untwisted, and enjoy the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A winning record in college basketball is not hard when you schedule noncon patsies. I’ve been enjoying the ride. You were busy fretting over the NIT and our roster if we fired Miles. I’m happy as a clam and have been as soon as the news leaked. Uncharted territory here. This is big. It’s consistently competing for championships big. Bob Devaney arriving for football big. Forget Miles and forget the past. This is a whole new era and attitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

You were busy fretting over the NIT and our roster if we fired Miles.

 

Show me where. I'll hang up and listen now.

 

Look, many of us on here have been looking for and expecting more out of this program. I was over the Miles hype 2 years ago and was in the "well, let's see if the administration will finally prioritize basketball" group. I don't care who our coach was or wasn't, we had a group of players who still wore the Nebraska uniform and wanted to play. If that meant the administration was going to keep Miles, then so be it. If it meant getting rid of Miles, then so be it. I'm glad the administration is at least showing signs that basketball has taken a higher priority now, and with that comes higher expectations from our new coach. If things don't start off as well as we would hope, you know the majority of this board is going to do what they can to support the coach. If that means that Hoiberg's squad is in the NIT, people will show up and support the team. If it's the NCAA, people will show up in droves, just as I have the past couple of NCAA tournaments we have been to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I don't get why I am such a looser for being happy for a bunch of college kids getting to do what they like... no LOVE to do.

 

I know after my last football game in college I really would have loved to play another game or two.

 

Just me I guess, feel good for the boys because in the long run it doesn't matter what I think about it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm THRILLED we hired Coach Hoiberg, and if you want describe Nebraska as a longtime "middling" or "nondescript" program I'll listen to that. Nebraska however, has NOT been, as I pointed out above a "historically awful" program. As a reference, check out the Minnesota Timberwolves franchise if you'd like to see what "historically awful" looks like. There I'm done...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Check out the B10. Whose program has been worse? Rutgers? How about the B12? Nebraska was easily the worst. How about the P12. Nebraska is easily worse. SEC and ACC, no one worse? It’s okay to admit this has been relatively pathetic. 

 

You’re about as popular as a poopy flavored lollipop.  Sorry, I just can’t take you as a true Husker fan.  Critical is one thing.  Then there is you.

Edited by hskr4life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

How many conference championships does Nebraska have, how many conference tournament championships does Nebraska have, sweet 16 appearances, final fours, top 2 finishes in league play, NCAA Tourney wins..........Nebraska is historically one of the worst P5 programs based on those metrics. Wins against IUPUI and random crap teams in "money" games isn't how success is measured. It's time as fans to think differently because we now have an AD department with full financial support to break all the glass ceilings listed above and the coach to do it. 

The eternal pessimism just won't die for some people will it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

The eternal pessimism just won't die for some people will it

You can’t be talking about me. I’m more bullish on the future than the Tim Miles NIT fan club. Talking about the past isn’t pessimistic. Pessimism is used in regards to the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

You know how Congress can impeach a President with a two-thirds vote? Can we do that to DOATHLON and just kick him out? ?

 

I was thinking something like if we could get him to double the down votes as he has posts then he's gotta take a vacation.  What do you say, @hhcmatt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha!   

Sold-out auditorium for the entirety of the Vault’s existence.

Conference and National Coach of the Year a few years ago.

Having a record, last year, that’s good-enough for an NCAA appearance by a B1G team for 60+ years in a row (screwed by a Jay Chair).

Going 3-0 against the Big East during the year your Coach is fired.

Going 1-1 against the Big 12 (the loss was to a Final Four team) during the year your Coach is fired.

Being ranked before one of your best players gets hurt—the year your Coach is fired.

Beating several Dance teams, using a drastically-reduced roster, requiring that we use a walk-on extensively.

Never having a scandal.  Bringing in academically-strong players.  Being a good ambassador for the University.

Pulling in a home-run hire after your Coach is fired.

 

There are many metrics.  

Miles had his faults.  Hoiberg is a massive upgrade.

But there is much to be appreciative for.

 

Edited by Swan88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I guess I don't get why I am such a looser for being happy for a bunch of college kids getting to do what they like... no LOVE to do.

 

I know after my last football game in college I really would have loved to play another game or two.

 

Just me I guess, feel good for the boys because in the long run it doesn't matter what I think about it.

 

 

 

Naw, you're only a loser for misspelling "loser". :)   But I wish more of us could de-couple this winning obsession from our own egos. I like "winning", too, but I'm not on the floor shooting the ball. There's no personal glory for me, just the fun of cheering for a winning team representing my beloved alma mater in the world. But that's just not our culture, sadly. 

Edited by tcp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...