Filling Out a Staff.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Does anybody else find it interesting that our staff now consists of people spanning across three different head coaches from the last 13 years of Nebraska basketball?

It's a real life version of build a roster for $15

Here's the Article:    http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211799499

Hoiberg Announces Husker Basketball Coaching Staff

LincolnFred Hoiberg’s first Nebraska coaching staff will feature people familiar with his system as well as Husker basketball, as Hoiberg announced four members of his 2019-20 staff Friday afternoon.

The coaching staff will feature a pair of new hires in assistant coaches Matt Abdelmassih (pronounced Abdel-massey) and Doc Sadler, while Armon Gates will stay on the coaching staff after joining the Husker program prior to last season. Hoiberg also announced that longtime college basketball coach Bobby Lutz (pronounced LOOTS) will join the program and serve as special assistant to the head coach. Abdelmassih, Sadler and Lutz all worked with Hoiberg at Iowa State, playing significant roles in helping the Cyclones make four NCAA Tournament appearances from 2012 to 2015. 

“I am excited with the staff we have put together,” Hoiberg said. “I wanted to put together an experienced staff and saw how important that was in our past success. We wanted to get the right mix of coaches who can go out and recruit the players we need to be successful and also do a good job of teaching on the floor.”

On 4/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, Minnesota_Husker said:

I get Lutz has the special assistant title, but do we still have 1 more spot open and he will take more of a player development role?

So is his role definitely going to be player development? And does anyone know what his salary will be? I assume it won't be coming out of the $1 million pool for the assistants.

5 hours ago, arliepro said:

So is his role definitely going to be player development? And does anyone know what his salary will be? I assume it won't be coming out of the $1 million pool for the assistants.

We should find out more on Monday when the assistants are available to the media

3 minutes ago, tcp said:

Doc getting most of them you think? 

Unless there are limitations I think it will be Lutz.  He was the guy who did them at Iowa St as well as NC State and the Windy City Bulls. He seems to be a walking scouting machine as he's currently watching the NBA playoffs for plays they might want to use next season. I think Doc is a great basketball mind and could probably run scouts but Lutz I see as excelling at this. I don't know what everyone does but I suspect that Doc is probably the best at adjusting on the fly during a game.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Unless there are limitations I think it will be Lutz.  He was the guy who did them at Iowa St as well as NC State and the Windy City Bulls. He seems to be a walking scouting machine as he's currently watching the NBA playoffs for plays they might want to use next season. I think Doc is a great basketball mind and could probably run scouts but Lutz I see as excelling at this. I don't know what everyone does but I suspect that Doc is probably the best at adjusting on the fly during a game.

I wasn't sure if Lutz's position came with any restrictions on it, although how game planning could violate anything I couldn't begin to imagine. Still good to know. I really enjoyed watching Doc coach at Southern Ms and I wish some of our people could've seen that, too, to appreciate just how good of a coach he really is/was. I dig this staff, though. I think you guys are in for some very fun year ahead. I'm hoping to catch one or  two more myself...:)