Filling Out a Staff.

Guys, two things. 

1. Boehm never had the chance to step away. He didn’t do so because he thought things were going to be dirty. Hoiberg was never going to come here without his own guy in that role and with complete control. That is 100% fact, not speculation. Boehm might be telling people that - I don’t know - but it’s not true. Matt (Dimes) knows my source and that he’s good (we will let him remain annonynous).  The Boehm narrative that he felt uncomfortable and walked is 10000% false. 

2. Why is one single post by a pissed off St Johns fan who added a pissed off fbi hashtag all of a sudden making people come to the conclusion Matt A is dirty? That’s ridiculous. Do you really think Hoiberg would touch him with a ten foot pole if he was dirty or under investigation? Fast talking Jersey guy who schmoozes? Yes. Dirty recruiter? No. 

15 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Let's just say that I knew Marc was going to be stepping back.  @Norm Peterson post about us being clean was on the right track as to why Marc might be stepping back.  My source let me know a few days before the news broke, but wanted me to remain silent until it became public.  Some people aren't happy with the hire of Abdelmassih and were against him being hired onto staff.  Hopefully what I am hearing about him and how he is perceived in the recruiting world is moot and overblown.  I would never wish ill on my Huskers.  So my source knew of the impending Boehm news before it broke publicly.  I will continue to share, as I have said, what I can and when.  You can like it, dismiss it, laugh at it, be upset with it... I don't care.  

Thanks. I have no doubt you have a source that may or may not have information and I welcome anyone on this board to share what they know have heard. But, you still haven’t really shared anything outside of saying you have heard rumors. What are those rumors specifically?

But I guess I don’t really care at this point. Matt’s here to stay. And quite honestly as long as he’s not handing out bags of cash getting a bit dirty with the rest of the college basketball world will get us closer to being on an even playing field. It’s still the Wild West our there because the ncaa has no balls. 

4 hours ago, hhcdave said:

2. Why is one single post by a pissed off St Johns fan who added a pissed off fbi hashtag all of a sudden making people come to the conclusion Matt A is dirty? That’s ridiculous. Do you really think Hoiberg would touch him with a ten foot pole if he was dirty or under investigation? Fast talking Jersey guy who schmoozes? Yes. Dirty recruiter? No. 

I’m totally fine with a dirty recruiter for what it’s worth. As long as they don’t get caught. But, if they do get caught, hopefully we’ve won some stuff beforehand. 

12 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Hoiberg told Rothstein Armon is retained. That leaves Molinari, Doc, Hsu, for the 3rd full time assistant spot

Is he retained?  It seems like Gates will remain N but planning to keep him isn't exactly retaining him and plans can change.

5 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Guys, two things. 

1. Boehm never had the chance to step away. He didn’t do so because he thought things were going to be dirty. Hoiberg was never going to come here without his own guy in that role and with complete control. That is 100% fact, not speculation. Boehm might be telling people that - I don’t know - but it’s not true. Matt (Dimes) knows my source and that he’s good (we will let him remain annonynous).  The Boehm narrative that he felt uncomfortable and walked is 10000% false. 

Did Chris Mullen resign or get fired? That's sort of what I would see this Boehm deal as. Boehm was eventually going to be moved from basketball and he either got ahead of it or he didn't.

Hearing Lewis talk about roadblocks and possibly not getting guys admitted is exactly the sort of stuff that I've been ranting about on here for the last couple of months when I'm talking about *just hiring a coach isn't going to fix everything*.  The counter-argument about Boehm has always been he doesn't hire coaches, he doesn't recruit players and thus our win-loss record is not effected.  What about the staff positions we might not have been allowed to add? What about the guys we couldn't bring in?  Doing your job "well" by possibly oversighting our program into mediocrity because wins-losses isn't a check point on your evaluation form to me would not seem to be doing you job well. Were we one guy away from making the tourney the last two years? Makes my blood boil to ponder that. There is definitely a middle ground between what we seem to be doing and what Oregon seems to be doing in terms of oversight/admittance.

To reiterate what Lewis wanted in a program, it was everyone from the school president to the coach being on the same page and given the trust to run his program. He doesn't win enough or he brings in guys that are a problem, that's on him and you make a change. We're not bringing in Bruce Pearl here...we have Fred Hoiberg. Fred certainly should be given the latitude to run this program that it seem Miles wasn't afforded and the results should be on his shoulders.

35 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Did Chris Mullen resign or get fired? That's sort of what I would see this Boehm deal as. Boehm was eventually going to be moved from basketball and he either got ahead of it or he didn't.

Hearing Lewis talk about roadblocks and possibly not getting guys admitted is exactly the sort of stuff that I've been ranting about on here for the last couple of months when I'm talking about *just hiring a coach isn't going to fix everything*.  The counter-argument about Boehm has always been he doesn't hire coaches, he doesn't recruit players and thus our win-loss record is not effected.  What about the staff positions we might not have been allowed to add? What about the guys we couldn't bring in?  Doing your job "well" by possibly oversighting our program into mediocrity because wins-losses isn't a check point on your evaluation form to me would not seem to be doing you job well. Were we one guy away from making the tourney the last two years? Makes my blood boil to ponder that. There is definitely a middle ground between what we seem to be doing and what Oregon seems to be doing in terms of oversight/admittance.

To reiterate what Lewis wanted in a program, it was everyone from the school president to the coach being on the same page and given the trust to run his program. He doesn't win enough or he brings in guys that are a problem, that's on him and you make a change. We're not bringing in Bruce Pearl here...we have Fred Hoiberg. Fred certainly should be given the latitude to run this program that it seem Miles wasn't afforded and the results should be on his shoulders.

Nailed this 100000000%. My Boehm hatred in a nutshell. 

6 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Guys, two things. 

Thanks!  It’s nice to see a different perspective from what is probably a different source near the athletic department. I certainly do hope that you’re right.  I want to win more than anyone.  I just want to do it the right way.  That’s always something that we’ve prided ourself on it can be done.

As I have said before, I have not heard or seen anything about Matt A being under investigation or involved with the FBI.  But as multiple posters stated, have heard he might have “toed the line” at times.  What that means and whether it was all legal, I don’t know.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Thanks!  It’s nice to see a different perspective from what is probably a different source near the athletic department. I certainly do hope that you’re right.  I want to win more than anyone.  I just want to do it the right way.  That’s always something that we’ve prided ourself on it can be done.

As I have said before, I have not heard or seen anything about Matt A being under investigation or involved with the FBI.  But as multiple posters stated, have heard he might have “toed the line” at times.  What that means and whether it was all legal, I don’t know.

As we've learned from the English laureates on this board, it depends on your definition of both:

1. "Toed the line" and

2. "Legal"

:lol:

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Sadly in this day and age, to be a successful recruiter you probably have to have some loose morals. That doesnt mean breaking the law, but does mean bending the truth or feeding into a 17 year olds ego.

I think most assume Miles ran a clean program but I would be willing to bet things happened under his guidance with assistants that never saw the light of day that might make people think differently. It happens.

The thing is, I trust Hoiberg the same way I trust Frost. He knows how Matt works and therefore I am not too worried.

And this is exactly why you don't slander your coaches and throw them in trash, adding insult to injury as they're on their way out of the program. Because if you do, there may be some day when they have a choice to come back and help get the program its first NCAA tournament win and they'll say "Pass. Those fans were awful to me."

I'm just glad Doc left on good terms.

Fred Hoiberg's Iowa St. teams had the following KenPom defensive efficiency rankings in his time there: 

The only year Sadler was on his staff was they year they ranked 55th and reached the Sweet 16 (the only time Hoiberg reached the Sweet 16). He then took over at Southern Miss and went from 3-20 in Year 1 to 20-13 in Year 5. 

For those who want to bash this hire because he didn't win as a head coach here back when our facility was the Bob Devaney Sports Center and our practice facility was non-existent, you need to calm down. I haven't seen any bashing of the hire on this board (probably because the smart bball fans are here) but there are some morons running around on Rivals thinking this is a stupid hire. 

Edited by GoBigFred

6 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

For those who want to bash this hire because he didn't win as a head coach here back when our facility was the Bob Devaney Sports Center and our practice facility was non-existent, you need to calm down. I haven't seen any bashing of the hire on this board (probably because the smart bball fans are here) but there are some morons running around on Rivals thinking this is a stupid hire.

You're ok. You're with basketball folks here.

8 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Fred Hoiberg's Iowa St. teams had the following KenPom defensive efficiency rankings in his time there: 

The only year Sadler was on his staff was they year they ranked 55th and reached the Sweet 16 (the only time Hoiberg reached the Sweet 16). He then took over at Southern Miss and went from 3-20 in Year 1 to 20-13 in Year 5. 

I would be all for Doc returning. His issues at Nebraska were not due to defense. We were always very sound in that department 

The other end of the court was a different story.

10 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I was about to ask where in the world you heard anyone here bashing this hire.....so thanks for clarifying it was on another site!

Doc’s #1 strengths are game planning and maximizing effort.  His #1 weakness is recruiting.  I’m guessing a huge part of this pitch is the ace recruiters we already have in place and the idea that Doc can be more of a homebody and film nut in this role rather than the constant CEO/travel duties of HC.  

This staff is extremely well planned and, with the exception of Gates, knows Fred’s developmental system already.  Everyone is being utilized for their strengths.  I cannot wait to see thing go.