Filling Out a Staff.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If we're keeping Gates he's under salary for $256k. 

To put that in perspective, Travis DeCuire at Montana is making $175k.

I assume we want two recruiters and one Xs and Os guy and that Matt A and Gates are the recruiters. I don't think we have to pay Matt A money to get an Xs and Os guy.

There is money there and how hard is a number that Moos threw out at a presser?

I guess we'll see if we have our third guy but doesn't seem like it.  We're also not hearing anything official on Gates.  Is this all in flux because if our 3rd guy is also a recruiter does that mean he's actually our second guy and we won't retain Gates?

I have to admit that i'm not skilled in the art of logical fallacies but did I get in the ballpark of presenting arguments whose validity requires that its own conclusion is true @atskooc?

So, if Gates is the guy and his salary is the same, that leaves 364K. If they're gonna pay Assistant #3 at least what Gates is making, that would leave 108K to divide between at least a DoBO and Vid Coord. $54K is on the very low end of that scale for that position at this level. I have to think the 1Mil is just for the three assistants, right? The salaries for the positions behind that come from somewhere else.

5 hours ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

Could someone please look up "toe the line" and use it correctly?

I wasn't going to say anything, but, yeah.  To "toe the line" doesn't mean to push things right up to the boundary of illegality; a better definition would be to follow the rules.  When one "toes the line" one is doing that which one is supposed to do.  To "toe the line" means you're following the rule, not violating it.

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

So, if Gates is the guy and his salary is the same, that leaves 364K. If they're gonna pay Assistant #3 at least what Gates is making, that would leave 108K to divide between at least a DoBO and Vid Coord. $54K is on the very low end of that scale for that position at this level. I have to think the 1Mil is just for the three assistants, right? The salaries for the positions behind that come from somewhere else.

Sorry i'm not taking the time to look this up but what was Miles' number and how much of that went to just the 3 assistants?

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

It was $770K, I believe. I have to think that was just for the three main assistants and not the spots below that.

Without researching, I tend to agree with this. That's my understanding. Results in an average of just over $250K, which is about what Gates is getting, so makes sense.

4 hours ago, atskooc said:

How about "begs the question"? That one is NEVER used correctly!

I know a lot of lawyers and this one drives them nuts.

The number of older expressions that get mangled in colloquial language is impressive. What's neat is that languages change over time largely because of old mistakes that catch on!   

"According to Forbes’s J.P. Pelzman and others, Mullin had been seeking an extension in recent days, seeking stability after his best recruiter Matt Abdelmassih followed Fred Hoiberg to Nebraska. Adbelmasih’s departure was reportedly the key step that pushed Mullin over the edge, since he was the program’s only apparent recruiter (transfer guard Cam Mack rescinded his commitment after Adbelmassih left):

Abdelmassih did the heavy lifting, recruiting virtually the entire roster. There were questions about the rest of the staff’s work ethic in recruiting, and the need to have more than one primary recruiter. Mullin wasn’t seen as much as other head coaches on the recruiting trail in recent years and didn’t have a high school recruit signed for next year."

https://deadspin.com/report-chris-mullin-out-at-st-johns-despite-winning-d-1833925415/amp

36 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Matt A. Confirmed Asst. coach

Bobby L. Confirmed on the staff in some capacity.

Is that all we know? I'm desperate for asst coach information. 

That seems to run the gamut. Gates also a "possibility" depending on the functions of the next assistant, i.e. recruiting prowess. Gates is a big-time recruiter as is Abdelmassih. Lutz likely player development as in non-assistant role.

We're behind schedule on this because we had Charlie Henry locked down until Nate Oats got the Alabama job and then we didn't

Look at Lutz in a development role, not assistant. Keep an eye out for St Johns DOBO Chris Huey here.  He's a Kansas grad (he made headlines for seeing the floor as a student manager)

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

We're behind schedule on this because we had Charlie Henry locked down until Nate Oats got the Alabama job and then we didn't

Look at Lutz in a development role, not assistant. Keep an eye out for St Johns DOBO Chris Huey here.  He's a Kansas grad (he made headlines for seeing the floor as a student manager)

So who is this top defensive assistant  coach Moos was referring too...???