Filling Out a Staff.

31 minutes ago, tcp said:

I wasn't sure if Lutz's position came with any restrictions on it, although how game planning could violate anything I couldn't begin to imagine. Still good to know. I really enjoyed watching Doc coach at Southern Ms and I wish some of our people could've seen that, too, to appreciate just how good of a coach he really is/was. I dig this staff, though. I think you guys are in for some very fun year ahead. I'm hoping to catch one or  two more myself...:)

Yori does the game planning for Creighton now, And I don't think that she is on the staff. Creighton's web site says that Connie is the program advisor. And listed in the coaches menu.

Edited by Bugeaters1

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Unless there are limitations I think it will be Lutz.  He was the guy who did them at Iowa St as well as NC State and the Windy City Bulls. He seems to be a walking scouting machine as he's currently watching the NBA playoffs for plays they might want to use next season. I think Doc is a great basketball mind and could probably run scouts but Lutz I see as excelling at this. I don't know what everyone does but I suspect that Doc is probably the best at adjusting on the fly during a game.

Would guess Doc is involved as well. Could see them working together, O / D planning

14 hours ago, tcp said:

I wasn't sure if Lutz's position came with any restrictions on it, although how game planning could violate anything I couldn't begin to imagine. Still good to know. I really enjoyed watching Doc coach at Southern Ms and I wish some of our people could've seen that, too, to appreciate just how good of a coach he really is/was. I dig this staff, though. I think you guys are in for some very fun year ahead. I'm hoping to catch one or  two more myself...:)

I think his only restrictions can be in recruiting and possibly on court coaching. I would think scouting and game planning can be anyone's task. Shoot, for all we know coaches take game plans and scouting information from the genius posters on message boards. (Although that's probably not true in Nebraska's case because we would be a final four team every year if they took our game plan advice I'm sure...)

22 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

(Although that's probably not true in Nebraska's case because we would be a final four team every year if they took our game plan advice I'm sure...)

I am undefeated from my recliner!  Granted I've never had to coach against a certain posters 7th grade girls team.

15 hours ago, tcp said:

Doc getting most of them you think? 

I watched the video from Doc's presser last night. It was very clear he has been hired to be the defensive coordinator and doesn't expect to be significantly involved in recruiting.

I would assume that means he gets the defensive scout and game plan for every game.  Which makes a lot of sense, because I think he did that at Nebraska, too.  I don't think he relied significantly on his assistants for that.  And I think that was one of Doc's downfalls.  He did not delegate very well from what I could see.

I watched a lot of practices under Doc, though, and I can tell you he was extremely detail-oriented in scouting opposing teams and sharing that info with his players.  He knew where they got their points. He could spout out stats about how many fast break baskets the opposing team would get during a typical game. How many threes they'd take, who'd take them and who they didn't need to worry about taking them. They might spend some time practicing how to defend certain types of actions and he could tell his players exactly how many times a game the opponent would run it and what percent of their points came from running it.

I can remember him telling the guys "If we can stop this, they cannot beat us." And he was generally right.

42 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It was very clear he has been hired to be the defensive coordinator and doesn't expect to be significantly involved in recruiting.

Just imagine how much more Doc can do solely focusing on that discipline rather than running an entire basketball program. We've got a real treat.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

It was very clear he has been hired to be the defensive coordinator and doesn't expect to be significantly involved in recruiting.

That sounds right. I think he probably helps in the sense that he has contacts that a lot of these other guys don't because he's been around forever.

Here is his resume

Head Coach

1998-2003 Arkansas-Fort Smith (also was the AD)

2004-2006 - UTEP

2006-2012 - Nebraska

2014-2019 - Southern Miss

Assistant Coach

1982-85 - Arkansas (Eddie Sutton)
1985-86 - Lamar (Pat Foster)
1986 - Houston (Pat Foster)
1987-88 - Chicago State (Tommy Suitts)
1988-91 - Arkansas-Fort Smith (Bobby Vint)
1991-94 - Texas Tech (James Dickey)
1995-97 - Arizona St (Bill Frieder)
1997-98 - Arkansas-Fort Smith (Charles Ripley)
2003-04 - UTEP (Billy Gillispie)
2013-14 - Iowa St (Fred Hoiberg)
2019-Present Nebraksa (Fred Hoiberg)

Other

1986 - HS basketball coach - Branch, Arkansas

2012-13 - DOBO - Kansas

Interesting bit on recruiting from Matt A's presser that I havent seen posted yet.

He basically said expect us to have older, experienced teams. He credits that to the reason why they were so successful at Iowa State competing against and beating blue bloods like Kansas and their "so called 5 stars".

Also said he is not a big fan of grad transfers because they are often culture killers just looking to get theirs. Likes the redshirt transfers bc they are usually guys who got caught up in the wrong things with recruiting instead of finding the best fit for themselves as a student and player.

So im not expecting them to target a lot of McDonald's All Americans or grad transfers in the future. Expect a lot of four and five year guys rather it be through high school recruiting or the transfer market.

28 minutes ago, khoock said:

Interesting bit on recruiting from Matt A's presser that I havent seen posted yet.

He basically said expect us to have older, experienced teams. He credits that to the reason why they were so successful at Iowa State competing against and beating blue bloods like Kansas and their "so called 5 stars".

Also said he is not a big fan of grad transfers because they are often culture killers just looking to get theirs. Likes the redshirt transfers bc they are usually guys who got caught up in the wrong things with recruiting instead of finding the best fit for themselves as a student and player.

So im not expecting them to target a lot of McDonald's All Americans or grad transfers in the future. Expect a lot of four and five year guys rather it be through high school recruiting or the transfer market.

I understand what he's saying. But when you're in the first year of a coaching transition, and you need to fill out a roster to field a team, and you have some guys who could be immediately available and the alternative is some dude who was 3rd-team All-conference in the Jayhawk juco league, I think you take the grad transfer from the high mid-major program who averaged 20 ppg.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I understand what he's saying. But when you're in the first year of a coaching transition, and you need to fill out a roster to field a team, and you have some guys who could be immediately available and the alternative is some dude who was 3rd-team All-conference in the Jayhawk juco league, I think you take the grad transfer from the high mid-major program who averaged 20 ppg.

Agreed. This year they gotta get some dudes who can play right away. But i think going forward, we will not see too many grad transfers. Thats atleast how I understood it. 

We obviously like Cheatham and we're reaching out to Blackshear, two grad transfers.  "Doesn't like to take grad transfers' doesn't mean won't take Grad Transfers or maybe doesn't even doesn't like grad transfers. I think we'll see a limited amount of them just because impactful ones are so hard to acquire. 

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We obviously like Cheatham and we're reaching out to Blackshear, two grad transfers.  "Doesn't like to take grad transfers' doesn't mean won't take Grad Transfers or maybe doesn't even doesn't like grad transfers. I think we'll see a limited amount of them just because impactful ones are so hard to acquire. 

Looks like we've reached our schnapps moment of the Hoiberg era.

39 minutes ago, royalfan said:

after watching TexasTech, perhaps he should shift his thinking on grad transfers a bit.  It cannot hurt to meet with the quality ones and get  a sense of what their agenda may or may not be. 

I dont think they will be opposed to them if they find the right ones. But i think they will be very selective in which ones they pursue.

9 minutes ago, khoock said:

I dont think they will be opposed to them if they find the right ones. But i think they will be very selective in which ones they pursue.

That touches on a couple of other things he said that sort of ties into all of this

1. "stay in your lane on recruiting"  - there are so many guys out there that it's really about not wasting your time with guys you are not going to get

2. A benefit to having multiple transfers who have to sit a year (as opposed to one) is that those guys aren't alone in the process of not being able to play for a year.  Also keeping your roster of eligible players at around 10 or so means less guys to keep happy about playing time. (Miles was similar in this philosophy)

I'm pretty sure he just means being highly selective when it comes to grad transfers. I think grad transfers who have done well at smaller schools and are looking for one year against better competition on a better team should not be considered "problems" (like Matt Mooney, Mike Daum if he had transferred, Cheatham, Duby Okeke etc.). 

I think what you need to be careful about is guy who comes on visit and says "I want to transfer to your school because I didn't play much at XYZ and I should get a bunch of playing time at your school (aka your team is not good and I am better than those players and I have already earned it without earning anything)."

Edited by GoBigFred

12 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

I'm pretty sure he just means being highly selective when it comes to grad transfers. I think grad transfers who have done well at smaller schools and are looking for one year against better competition on a better team should not be considered "problems" (like Matt Mooney, Mike Daum if he had transferred, Cheatham, Duby Okeke etc.). 

I think what you need to be careful about is guy who comes on visit and says "I want to transfer to your school because I didn't play much at XYZ and I should get a bunch of playing time at your school (aka your team is not good and I am better than those players and I have already earned it without earning anything)."

That makes a lot of sense. Imagine if NU had had Mike Daum this past season. Hurts to even think about it, tbh.

Maybe this has been asked and answered, if so, I apologize.  But I am wondering if there has been any word on the status of some of the peripheral staff.  Do we know if Greg Eaton (Director of Operations), Matt Holt (Video Coordinator) and Tim Wilson (Strength Coach) were retained?  I believe the team, such as it is, is working out and so forth.  I would think those positions would be put into place asap.