Thomas Allen to transfer

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

This is far from a done deal.  Tom is simply protecting himself.  Could he go, sure.  But could he stay? Absolutely, if the next coach wants him and if Tom likes the staff, the philosophy and so forth.  

This comes back to expectations.   

Agree.  If Hoiberg is the next coach, I can't see any reason that Tom Allen wouldn't LOVE to play for him, and could THRIVE in a Hoiberg offense....

20 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Agree.  If Hoiberg is the next coach, I can't see any reason that Tom Allen wouldn't LOVE to play for him, and could THRIVE in a Hoiberg offense....

True, but it makes you wonder if Hoiberg is a lock for the job. Surely the players are following what is going on closer than us and Allen has to know that everyone is saying Hoiberg will be the next coach so why would he put his name in to transfer if this is the case. (Unless he does not want to play for him)

33 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You seem to think that student athletes use rational thinking for all of their decisions...

Funny, but I think this is totally rational, and given Tom’s personally organized charity functions for our community, it seems as though he has his center of ethics well ahead of his years.  

I really hope he hits it off with Fred.  His scoring would go way up in that system.  So would Roby’s.  

Tom is level headed. He's just taking the correct business step of giving himself options. I highly doubt he is making some emotional decision as he doesn't seem to be the type. You may see other guys do the same and some may wait to see who the coach is before they start any process because for a few if they enter the portal they may not find themselves in as good of a seat. 

Edited by DOATHLON

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Funny, but I think this is totally rational, and given Tom’s personally organized charity functions for our community, it seems as though he has his center of ethics well ahead of his years.  

I really hope he hits it off with Fred.  His scoring would go way up in that system.  So would Roby’s.  

I'm probably more concerned if Roby doesn't return, tbh. Not that Tom going is any less worrisome. I think Roby's ceiling is way, way higher.

I think many on this board overestimate the players knowledge of and level of comfort with Fred Hoiberg.  Tom Allen was recruited by a large number of schools.   I am sure he has something of a relationship with other college coaches who were involved in his recruitment - and no personal relationship with Hoiberg at all obviously.   Hopefully he keeps an open mind and gives Hoiberg a chance to "recruit" him to stay (assuming that Hoiberg is in fact the next coach) - but I don't think it is realistic to expect the players to immediately be thrilled with any coach they have never met - as opposed to other coaches out there that they probably got to know pretty well a couple years ago.

8 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i think it's a bad sign that he didn't just wait a week to see who the coach was.

he could have entered the transfer portal a month from now.

Here is the recruiting schedule starting may 1st.

3 day quiet period 

8 day dead period

3 day recruiting period 

4 day dead period 

6 day recruiting period 

1 day quiet period 

3 day evaluation period 

4 day recruiting period ending May 2nd.

After that there is nothing but quiet, dead and evaluation periods till August.

So if he or his parents etc. want to set up an in person interview with any coaches without having to travel to that coaches campus he only has about 17 days between today and May 2nd to work with. 

And if he does decide to transfer and he needs to take summer classes for any reason, he definately doesn't have a month to wait to start the process.