Jump to content

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

 

So USD is 3-0 and Heiman hasn't showed up on the box score in any of them???  Is he redshirting or hurt?

 

Seems odd that a guy would get a waiver and then redshirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 2:50 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:
 
Amir Harris, who transferred out, has received a waiver for immediate eligibility. Shamiel Stevenson, who transferred in, still awaits his waiver decision. #Huskers

 

In the grand scheme of the Fred Hoiberg era, I realize this will be a blip on the radar.  But I still don't understand why Fred gave Amir Harris his walking papers.  If he had brought in a bunch of studs to replace him, I could understand, but I would take Amir Harris over many (most?) guys on this current roster in a heartbeat.  Amir couldn't shoot a lick, but neither can anyone one this current team.  Amir had length and athleticism, could drive and finish and was a very good defender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

 

In the grand scheme of the Fred Hoiberg era, I realize this will be a blip on the radar.  But I still don't understand why Fred gave Amir Harris his walking papers.  If he had brought in a bunch of studs to replace him, I could understand, but I would take Amir Harris over many (most?) guys on this current roster in a heartbeat.  Amir couldn't shoot a lick, but neither can anyone one this current team.  Amir had length and athleticism, could drive and finish and was a very good defender. 

That's not really true, though.

 

Every single player in the rotation, including Kavas who is shooting 40% from 3, is shooting significantly below their career number. Kavas is about 5% below his numbers. But when I look at Mack, Green, Cheatham, Burke and Curtis, they're all at least 15% below what they shot at their previous stop. This isn't an ability issue. It's a familiarity and comfort issue. As they get more used to playing with each other and at this level, those numbers will most likely return to their career numbers. It doesn't always happen, but it's very likely that most of them will.

 

We're still in small sample size territory. There was going to be a two game stretch where they shot like this somewhere in the season. Probably more than one. I haven't really seen anyone on the floor this year I'd trade for Harris, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

In the grand scheme of the Fred Hoiberg era, I realize this will be a blip on the radar.  But I still don't understand why Fred gave Amir Harris his walking papers.  If he had brought in a bunch of studs to replace him, I could understand, but I would take Amir Harris over many (most?) guys on this current roster in a heartbeat.  Amir couldn't shoot a lick, but neither can anyone one this current team.  Amir had length and athleticism, could drive and finish and was a very good defender. 

 

Amir had issues beyond not being able to shoot. I would not trade anyone on the current roster for Amir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knowing what said issues may have been, I'd like to have Amir and Heiman.

 

That said, a freed Stevenson would certainly help me forget.  He's the #1 thing I'm trying to keep in perspective.  Unique talent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, LK1 said:

Not knowing what said issues may have been, I'd like to have Amir and Heiman.

 

That said, a freed Stevenson would certainly help me forget.  He's the #1 thing I'm trying to keep in perspective.  Unique talent.  

 

I'd like to have Heiman. And, obviously, Shamiel Stevenson sooner than later. I'm beginning to think that NU is trying to get 2+ years out of S.S. so he'll be eligible yet this winter such that he will still be classified as a SOPH & play roughly 20-25 games this season....

 

 

 

Edited by AuroranHusker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, atskooc said:

Well, he’s clearly not eligible for the entire season, as he’s already missed three games. 

It would be a very NCAA thing to do to grant his waiver in February 2020.  

Congrats!  You're eligible for the 2019-2020 season!  

Surely one can deny a waiver, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, atskooc said:

Well, he’s clearly not eligible for the entire season, as he’s already missed three games. 

 

The entire season, well, becomes the remaining part of the basketball games on the 2019-20 schedule, so "what's left" would be the entire season to Shamiel. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

 

The entire season, well, becomes the remaining part of the basketball games on the 2019-20 schedule, so "what's left" would be the entire season to Shamiel. 😉

Oh, I get that. 

 

I just don't like the prospect of getting him for "an entire season" knowing that won't be the case.

 

I say at this point, just punt the request and keep him for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps since he played 4 games at Pitt as a sophomore, the NCAA is waiting until after our fourth game to grant him eligibility as a sophomore. An argument could be made that he has then sat out one year (redshirt year) and will not have lost any eligibility.

No idea if there is an evidence of the NCAA doing this in the past - purely speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...