Roster Attrition

54 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

The decision wasn't Amir vs. Thor. It was Davis vs. Thor. Thor compliments what they're trying to put together more than Davis does, so they kept him.

Assuming that Robin was accurate at the time he reported that Thor was going to be asked to leave, what changed?

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Assuming that Robin was accurate at the time he reported that Thor was going to be asked to leave, what changed?

Not sure. But from what I've been told it was back and forth between Thor and Davis and Thor's ability to play in space and facilitate, which we saw some of at the end of the year ended up being the difference. They didn't see much difference on impact on the team between the two. The original plan early in the week was Davis over Thor, but something changed by the weekend. Not sure what exactly.

What I know for certain, is they never had any intention of keeping Amir.

Edited by uneblinstu

2 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

I trust in Hoiberg but somebody is going to have to tell me why he's keeping Thor and a guy like Amir Harris wasn't wanted. 

My conspiracy theory - Hoiberg had the same conversation with Thor as all the players that are leaving.

"Son, you ain't gonna see the floor."

Thor is the only one that said, "Pffft, I ain't leaving." 

Why? Because Thor has a plan. I saw in another thread where everyone in his family is highly educated. I think he wants his degree. Get it done. If he transfers it prolongs it.I think he must be close to graduating. He busts his ass over the next year. You can crank out credit hours in those summer sessions. Gets degree paid for. Leaves. Goes play pro in Iceland or wherever next year. Works out for all involved.

24 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

My conspiracy theory - Hoiberg had the same conversation with Thor as all the players that are leaving.

The problem with this theory is that Hoiberg is allowed to cut anyone this season

24 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The problem with this theory is that Hoiberg is allowed to cut anyone this season

I get that. He could still cut him. But to me that's when it does become a bad look for the coach. Again, this is all within the framework of my conspiracy theory. But, if you cut a kid that tells you his plan is to graduate within the next year  and leave that's just dumb. That narrative is bad and is not worth it. Especially when you might not even fill out the scholarships.

4 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I get that. He could still cut him. But to me that's when it does become a bad look for the coach. Again, this is all within the framework of my conspiracy theory. But, if you cut a kid that tells you his plan is to graduate within the next year  and leave that's just dumb. That narrative is bad and is not worth it. Especially when you might not even fill out the scholarships.

Not only can he cut him, he can leave him on scholarship. So if what you theorize is the case, he could stay here, not pay for school, still get his degree while not counting towards the 13. The staff chose to keep him.

1 minute ago, cornfed24-7 said:

But to me that's when it does become a bad look for the coach. 

If Hoiberg was worried about optics, Brady and not Thor would still be on the team. Miles cared a lot about optics....the lack of Hoiberg even addressing any of this publicly speaks more to Hoiberg caring about winning/not needing to care about optics.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Not only can he cut him, he can leave him on scholarship. So if what you theorize is the case, he could stay here, not pay for school, still get his degree while not counting towards the 13. The staff chose to keep him.

I think that would be the absolute worst scenario. Some prick media member would run that story all year long. "Thor not allow to stay on team". And worse...what if he showed up to the games in the student section.

Edited by cornfed24-7

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If Hoiberg was worried about optics, Brady and not Thor would still be on the team. Miles cared a lot about optics....the lack of Hoiberg even addressing any of this publicly speaks more to Hoiberg caring about winning/not needing to care about optics.

Not caring about any optics is foolish. I think for any person. I have no idea which ones Hoiberg does care about. But I would stake my life on he does care about some optics. We'll at least get to figure out which ones over the next few years ? 

38 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think that would be the absolute worst scenario. Some prick media member would run that story all year long. "Thor not allow to stay on team". And worse...what if he showed up to the games in the student section.

I think that's only a story in May and by the time the CWS comes around every one will be distracted again. The only people that will be worked up about that are the player and the people that know him.

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

It'll be telling when we see where these guys end up transferring to. I'd imagine Amir, Brady, Nana and Karrington will not be playing for power 5 conference teams in the future. Shoot, some of them wouldn't have been on a power 5 team out of high school if we didn't offer.

The first time the coaching staff met with the media, Abdelmassih slipped up and said something along the lines of, "The cupboard is pretty much bare right now."  During those individual workouts they held, imagine what these coaches thought when they saw Amir's shot and Nana's ball handling abilities. These aren't high major guards/wings.

Here's the thing: The guys who remain from last year's team are the guys who actually attended the individual workouts.  ?

If Hoiberg was going to be able to keep his roster intact annually, perhaps I'd buy the "We have to get rid of this guy because he'll eat a scholly for three more years" theory.

Hell, I'd be all for that level of stability, where every slot is spoken for, and nobody bails (or is jettisoned) in the offseason anymore. I just don't think it's a reality though.

I mean, obviously, it's important to have a roster management strategy. But I can't imagine the staff is really that caught up in how much remaining eligibility a player has, as a reason for shipping someone out or keeping another. Especially when they can just advise that three year player to leave next year as well (or next week, next month, two years from now, whenever...).

They're not locked into keeping guys now, and they won't be any time in the future. If the opportunity comes along, to upgrade the team's talent level, there's going to be room. One way or another.

6 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Why? Because Thor has a plan. I saw in another thread where everyone in his family is highly educated. I think he wants his degree. Get it done. If he transfers it prolongs it.I think he must be close to graduating. He busts his ass over the next year. You can crank out credit hours in those summer sessions. Gets degree paid for. Leaves. Goes play pro in Iceland or wherever next year. Works out for all involved.

Except that he could stay and finish the degree without playing basketball, on scholarship still. So this isn't an issue with Thor at all. 

And if he wants to still play basketball, then he gets to choose which is more important, although I suspect most of his credits will transfer to another Div 1 school (it's a lot easier to transfer credits now than it used to be for a variety of reasons). 

And honestly, a bachelor's from UNL isn't all that. It's average--nothing wrong with that, my BA is from here. But you're not designing your life plans around a degree from Nebraska. Harvard, maybe, but not Nebraska. 

Thor will most likely be gone next year which allows Fred to sign another 2020 guy this fall. We seem to be in on a lot of highly ranked kids in that class. Where Davis or Amir does not allow that. I still think there are reasons other than talent as to why Amir was not considered as someone they want to keep.

8 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Not sure. But from what I've been told it was back and forth between Thor and Davis and Thor's ability to play in space and facilitate, which we saw some of at the end of the year ended up being the difference. They didn't see much difference on impact on the team between the two. The original plan early in the week was Davis over Thor, but something changed by the weekend. Not sure what exactly.

What I know for certain, is they never had any intention of keeping Amir.

Interesting. I'd have figured that Amir would be the highest on the pecking order, then Karrington, then Thor. But, I guess that wasn't meant to be.

2 hours ago, tcp said:

Except that he could stay and finish the degree without playing basketball, on scholarship still. So this isn't an issue with Thor at all. 

And if he wants to still play basketball, then he gets to choose which is more important, although I suspect most of his credits will transfer to another Div 1 school (it's a lot easier to transfer credits now than it used to be for a variety of reasons). 

And honestly, a bachelor's from UNL isn't all that. It's average--nothing wrong with that, my BA is from here. But you're not designing your life plans around a degree from Nebraska. Harvard, maybe, but not Nebraska. 

Don't disagree with a word here. The easiest fastest way to get it done though is to stay here. I lied I do disagree with something. It wouldn't be designing plans around a degree from Nebraska it would be designing plans around the fastest way to obtain a degree. And I think that line of thinking does have merit. I bet Thor ends up in a graduate program somewhere for something after his "pro" career is done. And for that you usually need a degree. Any degree really. Which is why this is his master plan and my conspiracy. Also to me it was just assumed he wanted to play basketball AND study. Should have clarified. I love going down thought wormholes :)

• 2 weeks later...