Roster Attrition

16 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Not me I love Thorir

Maybe Thor stays but Roby is gone.  Having all new players under a new coach isnt a bad thing.  None of the players that left are that big of a loss and can be replaced to fit Hoibergs system.  It will be weird next year with all new players but I'm confident this team will be better than most expect

16 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Maybe Thor stays but Roby is gone.  Having all new players under a new coach isnt a bad thing.  None of the players that left are that big of a loss and can be replaced to fit Hoibergs system.  It will be weird next year with all new players but I'm confident this team will be better than most expect

One can only hope

8 hours ago, coughunter said:

I believe his response was to this team will be better than most expect.  And no one is saying that or hopefully expecting that walkons are

I understood what his response was to and if we can get a big to add to what we know we have I agree with you on we will be better than expected.  My point was that yes we've had walk-ons give us some great minutes in spots (see last year) but if we want to get to the next level, relying on them could be dicey.  Yes they could make me eat crow, done it before and would be happy to do it again IF it means we are winning more! :)

On 5/8/2019 at 3:30 PM, FredsSlacks said:

imagine 3 months ago if someone told you that doc would be on the coaching staff and thor would be the only player still on the roster.

I trust in Hoiberg but somebody is going to have to tell me why he's keeping Thor and a guy like Amir Harris wasn't wanted. 

8 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

I trust in Hoiberg but somebody is going to have to tell me why he's keeping Thor and a guy like Amir Harris wasn't wanted. 

Season Averages
season Team
2018-19
NEBNEB

GP GS MPG FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
23 2 11.7 1.0-1.7 57.5 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.6 28.6 0.3 2.1 2.5 0.7 0.4 0.4 1.0 0.6 2.2

Season Averages
season Team
2017-18
NEBNEB
2018-19
NEBNEB

9 0 2.1 0.3-0.8 42.9 0.2-0.6 40.0 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.1 0.3 0.4 0.3 0.0 0.1 0.4 0.1 0.9
25 7 12.2 0.8-2.2 33.9 0.2-0.9 17.4 0.3-0.5 66.7 0.4 1.7 2.1 1.2 0.2 0.6 1.0 0.5 2.0
Edited by Norm Peterson

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Season Averages
season Team
2018-19
NEBNEB

23 2 11.7 1.0-1.7 57.5 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.6 28.6 0.3 2.1 2.5 0.7 0.4 0.4 1.0 0.6 2.2

Season Averages
season Team
2017-18
NEBNEB
2018-19
NEBNEB

9 0 2.1 0.3-0.8 42.9 0.2-0.6 40.0 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.1 0.3 0.4 0.3 0.0 0.1 0.4 0.1 0.9
25 7 12.2 0.8-2.2 33.9 0.2-0.9 17.4 0.3-0.5 66.7 0.4 1.7 2.1 1.2 0.2 0.6 1.0 0.5 2.0

I don't see much difference between the two.  I look at the end of the year and Amir was really starting to get some confidence.  I think it comes down to Thor has fewer years left than Amir and Fred thinks he can get someone better and with more upside to take Amir's scholly.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Season Averages
season Team
2018-19
NEBNEB

Season Averages
season Team
2017-18
NEBNEB
2018-19
NEBNEB

I don't care what the stats show, Amir was the much better player. His sickness really hurt his chance to get more playing time and then for whatever reason Miles barely played him. But when he did see the court it showed by making plays on the defensive end and some timely buckets. Thor just hustled.

4 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

The real reason they let Thor stay and Amir leave isn't that difficult. Amir has 3 years left for Fred to have to commit to while Thor there is already wind of maybe leaving to go play internationally this year, let alone the year after.

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I don't see much difference between the two.  I look at the end of the year and Amir was really starting to get some confidence.  I think it comes down to Thor has fewer years left than Amir and Fred thinks he can get someone better and with more upside to take Amir's scholly.

Yeah that does makes sense I guess. I guess I'm still not convinced that Thor will be on the roster when the season starts next year.

Just now, noahjb24 said:

The real reason they let Thor stay and Amir leave isn't that difficult. Amir has 3 years left for Fred to have to commit to while Thor there is already wind of maybe leaving to go play internationally this year, let alone the year after.

I think that might be part of it. Saw somewhere there's speculation that Thor is on pace to graduate next May and would, therefore, not take a spot from a 2020 kid.

But I don't get the infatuation some people have with Amir Harris.  If Matt Abdelmassih is the recruiter we've been lead to believe, he should have no difficulty whatsoever bringing in all kinds of players who are better suited to the Hoiberg system than Amir.

Amir was a better fit for Miles whose offensive philosophy involved liking the 3 and loving the rim.  But Amir's offensive limitations would have been a problem there as well.  You'd still want to have someone who could shoot at least a little.  But Amir is NOT a fit for Hoiberg whose philosophy is almost the reverse of Miles.  Why leave him on the roster for 3 more seasons when you should feel confident that you could sign half a dozen players in the 2020 class for that spot who would be better fits?

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

It's all in there:  Amir has 3 seasons left whereas Thor has 2 at most; Amir can't shoot a lick, and while Thor ain't great, at least his FTs are decent whereas Amir's are horrid; Amir is a PG but dished about half the assists of Thor per minute played, indicating Thor had more of an impact when he was in the game; Amir isn't durable and missed a lot of games, especially at the end when there was an opportunity for significant playing time.

Thor isn't a great fit for your system if you're Hoiberg, but you're not investing a lot of time in him, either. Amir isn't a fit at all. Why on EARTH would you keep him?

"He's long, he's athletic, blah blah blah."  FFS, so are a lot of other guys who have the added advantage of being able to shoot more than 30% from the FT line.

12 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

I don't care what the stats show, Amir was the much better player. His sickness really hurt his chance to get more playing time and then for whatever reason Miles barely played him. But when he did see the court it showed by making plays on the defensive end and some timely buckets. Thor just hustled.

And equally mysteriously, Hoiberg decided not to keep him either.  Hmmm.  ?

36 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

I'm not sure why it matters, both guys are very average at best and neither would play . Thor committed 2 weeks before his freshman semester started. Harris committed in May before his freshman year at Nebraska. It's not like either guy was a long-term part of the vision plan by Miles. He scrambled to sign both guys just before the season began. 

3 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I'm not sure why it matters, both guys are very average at best and neither would play . Thor committed 2 weeks before his freshman semester started. Harris committed in May before his freshman year at Nebraska. It's not like either guy was a long-term part of the vision plan by Miles. He scrambled to sign both guys just before the season began. 

It's what happens when your AD doesn't extend a contract.  And I agree with TheGov21, I would say Harris was the better of the two, bit surprised who was kept.  Now we just need a big.

32 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think that might be part of it. Saw somewhere there's speculation that Thor is on pace to graduate next May and would, therefore, not take a spot from a 2020 kid.

But I don't get the infatuation some people have with Amir Harris.  If Matt Abdelmassih is the recruiter we've been lead to believe, he should have no difficulty whatsoever bringing in all kinds of players who are better suited to the Hoiberg system than Amir.

Amir was a better fit for Miles whose offensive philosophy involved liking the 3 and loving the rim.  But Amir's offensive limitations would have been a problem there as well.  You'd still want to have someone who could shoot at least a little.  But Amir is NOT a fit for Hoiberg whose philosophy is almost the reverse of Miles.  Why leave him on the roster for 3 more seasons when you should feel confident that you could sign half a dozen players in the 2020 class for that spot who would be better fits?

It'll be telling when we see where these guys end up transferring to. I'd imagine Amir, Brady, Nana and Karrington will not be playing for power 5 conference teams in the future. Shoot, some of them wouldn't have been on a power 5 team out of high school if we didn't offer.

The first time the coaching staff met with the media, Abdelmassih slipped up and said something along the lines of, "The cupboard is pretty much bare right now."  During those individual workouts they held, imagine what these coaches thought when they saw Amir's shot and Nana's ball handling abilities. These aren't high major guards/wings.

5 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

It'll be telling when we see where these guys end up transferring to. I'd imagine Amir, Brady, Nana and Karrington will not be playing for power 5 conference teams in the future. Shoot, some of them wouldn't have been on a power 5 team out of high school if we didn't offer.

The first time the coaching staff met with the media, Abdelmassih slipped up and said something along the lines of, "The cupboard is pretty much bare right now."  During those individual workouts they held, imagine what these coaches thought when they saw Amir's shot and Nana's ball handling abilities. These aren't high major guards/wings.

I think Davis might. Probably have to go the juco route to do it, though. Brady's been hearing from mid-major schools. I don't think he was a reach of a prospect. Amir and Nana have their work cut out for them, even though I think Amir can be an elite defender, even at this level. He just has no offensive game right now.

I have no idea how this stuff works, but what if it works like this...what if the coaches have a Big Board (ala Mel Kiper) where they have ranked players in priority of who they want for 2019 (makes sense, right?) Just for fun (assuming Roby is gone), let's say their board has the following players ranked ahead of Thor, Amir, Karrington, Brady:

Jervay Green, Guard, 6-3, Jr. 

Cameron Mack, Guard, 6-2, So.

Dachon Burke, Guard, 6-4, Jr.

Haanif Cheatham, Guard, 6-5, Sr.

Matej Kavas, Forward, 6-8, Sr. 

Dalano Banton, Guard, 6-8, So. (sit-out transfer)

Akol Arop, Forward, 6-6, Fr.

Kerry Blackshear, Forward, 6-8, Sr. (Virginia Tech grad transfer)

LJ Figueroa, Guard, 6-6, Sr. (St. John's sit-out transfer)

Joel Ntambwe, Forward, 6-9, So. (UNLV sit-out transfer *pending waiver)

Shamiel Stevenson, Forward, 6-6 (Nevada transfer, 1/2 sit-out transfer)

Maurice Calloo, Forward, 6-9, So. (Oklahoma State sit-out 1/2 transfer)

Jahvon Quinerly, Guard, 6-0, So. (Villanova sit-out transfer)

Yvan Ouedraogo, Forward, 6-8, Fr. (HS)

Kevin Cross, Forward, 6-8, Fr. (HS)

Kendall Lewis, Forward, 6-6, Fr. (HS)

Thor

Amir

Karrington

Brady

Now, is there any reason to believe that if 6 of those guys ahead of Thor wanted to commit here, that they wouldn't take them to fill out their 13? Heck no. 

This is why I don't think you can say for sure that Thor will be on the team next year, even though that's what HE said. You telling me that if we get to 12 scholarships filled and Kerry Blackshear wants to come here that we say "sorry, that 13th scholarship is for Thor"? No way. 

So this is why Amir and Karrington reportedly got called over the weekend, after their meetings, because maybe we found out we gained some new commits who haven't been announced yet? 

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I think Davis might. Probably have to go the juco route to do it, though. Brady's been hearing from mid-major schools. I don't think he was a reach of a prospect. Amir and Nana have their work cut out for them, even though I think Amir can be an elite defender, even at this level. He just has no offensive game right now.

Davis had an offer from K-State out of high school. But I'm not sure high major schools would want to use a scholarship on a kid who hasn't proven himself at that level, and who has had the injuries he's had. We'll see.