Roster Attrition

On 5/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, khoock said:

The LJS and OWH quote Brady himself saying he was asked to leave.

This Hoiberg speech really sounds a lot like the reputed Miles one; you tell a guy that he's not going to play and that maybe he should look elsewhere.  You can say that the coach isn't asking you to leave, but he essentially is.  I suppose you could things were embellished by the OWH but I don't really care all that much since Brady got his name leaked out the day before.  I know it's a Nebraska kid we're talking about but that's mitigated by the fact that we have two other NE kids coming and Hoiberg is still walking on water.

9 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Heard Amir and Karrington were asked to leave last weekend.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Can confirm

From what I've read (OWH, LJS), Hoiberg, as a first-year head coach, can elect to non-renew players' scholarships. But it appears he has asked players to move on, they've refused, and he's just renewing their scholarship(s); but Brady got the hint and is transferring? And Thor was NOT asked to leave?

I'm really curious how those conversations go.

14 minutes ago, khoock said:

Interesting.

Many on here (including myself) thought he was probably the least likely to be retained out of the underclassmen. Wish we could pick Hoiberg's brain more on the issue.

I also wouldn't have bought a Thor lottery ticket.

I wonder how much the signing of Banton on Wednesday changed things and how much guys who are ready to commit but haven't publicly done so has changed things.  I suspect that when Robin reported those names that was originally a plan and things changed.

Until they actually do change, the coaches and players on here are currently N.  It's safe to say that Johnny Trueblood is no longer on the team though in theory that too can change.

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?spid=24&spsid=23&db_oem_id=100

21 minutes ago, khoock said:

Interesting.

Many on here (including myself) thought he was probably the least likely to be retained out of the underclassmen. Wish we could pick Hoiberg's brain more on the issue.

If I had to guess, Thor's situation is slightly different from Amir's and Karrington's.  Karrington is a freshman. If he stayed, he'd hold that spot 4 seasons.  Harris would hold his 3.  Thor only has 2 more years of eligibility.

That might or might not be the difference that mattered to Hoiberg.

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If I had to guess, Thor's situation is slightly different from Amir's and Karrington's.  Karrington is a freshman. If he stayed, he'd hold that spot 4 seasons.  Harris would hold his 3.  Thor only has 2 more years of eligibility.

Great take Norm.  Nothing else makes sense to me.  Thor was putting up some serious bricks from 3 last year; his skillset is somewhat similar to a less athletic Amir Harris....great hustle and intensity; poor shooting.

the Frenchman did have that tweet that said Thor.... maybe they are a package deal ?

23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Thor's scholarship could open up after next season as well. His ties overseas make the possibility of him jumping ship to some Icelandic pro team a real possibility. That could have also factored in as well.

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Norm and Busticket and knoock may be on to something.  I have a vague recollection of discussions, when Thor signed, about the importance of him getting a degree and then jumping to a european pro team (maybe even in three years).  But the closest support I can find for the idea is this:

Thorbjarnarson, besides his international experience, also has played as an amateur in Iceland’s professional league.

His family is accomplished academically. His father is a liaison to NATO, his mother and one brother are attorneys and another brother is an economist.

37 minutes ago, busticket said:

Good point on Thor potentially going pro.  If I am not mistaken, Creighton’s freshman from Australia (Sampson) left to go pro back in Australia.  Reasonable to think Thor could do the same.

We had Jack do that very thing last year. 

4 hours ago, coughunter said:

He did say on his ketv interview that they would probably be the only team in the country that has no players that have scored for NE so take that fwiw.......

Yeah, I thought that little nugget was pretty telling on how Freddy feels about the prospects of Roby returning. As in, nearly nil.

10 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

If that aired Sunday night, it was probably recorded mid-last week. Pretty much tells me he expected/expects Thor/Amir to leave. They scored points for us last year. 

Also means he probably doesnt expect Roby back.