Roster Attrition

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

According to OWH, during a coaching change the NCAA allows new coaches to deny the renewal of a scholarship even with the Big Ten's 4-year scholarship rule.

So Hoiberg basically denied Heimans scholarship but did not do so for Thorir. Take that FWIW.

Interesting.  Thanks.

22 hours ago, khoock said:

According to OWH, during a coaching change the NCAA allows new coaches to deny the renewal of a scholarship even with the Big Ten's 4-year scholarship rule.

So Hoiberg basically denied Heimans scholarship but did not do so for Thorir. Take that FWIW.

That's untrue. He was told he didn't fit with the new style of play and minutes would be hard to come by if he chose to stay.   He was not asked to transfer nor was he told not to stay. The only people asked to transfer in this whole change were people who had other non basketball issues.  

21 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

That's untrue. He was told he didn't fit with the new style of play and minutes would be hard to come by if he chose to stay.   He was not asked to transfer nor was he told not to stay. The only people asked to transfer in this whole change were people who had other non basketball issues.  

The LJS and OWH quote Brady himself saying he was asked to leave.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

The LJS and OWH quote Brady himself saying he was asked to leave.

I am aware of what's being reported. I'm not denying he believes what he said is factual. I know the scholarship was not pulled and had he not requested his name be put in the portal he would still be on the team. Sometimes people hear things differently than how they are stated. And I guess perception can become reality. I'm sure if someone came to my work and told me I was a bad fit for the team I might take it as Im fired if I stopped listening. 

7 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

I am aware of what's being reported. I'm not denying he believes what he said is factual. I know the scholarship was not pulled and had he not requested his name be put in the portal he would still be on the team. Sometimes people hear things differently than how they are stated. And I guess perception can become reality. I'm sure if someone came to my work and told me I was a bad fit for the team I might take it as Im fired if I stopped listening. 

I'm not questioning you, I'm am just curious why you would feel you know better what happened in the conversation he had with the coach then he does? 

10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I'm not questioning you, I'm am just curious why you would feel you know better what happened in the conversation he had with the coach then he does? 

I’m not sure if this means anything, but I might as well pass along what I’ve heard - All the players met with Hoiberg last week. Brady scheduled his meeting before his test because he already had all his stuff packed up and was planning to head home right after his last final. 

If that’s true, then Chris Heady’s headline, which was the trigger for the social media uproar about Hoiberg’s handling of Brady, was pretty misleading. 

It all seems like much ado about nothing.  In today's highly-charged environment, my reaction on reading the tweet was who, and why, is someone trying to do a hit piece on Husker Basketball. 

It is getting so bad that I don't even know just what I'm supposed to get outraged about anymore.  :Redface:

It's water under the bridge. I would contend that everyone seems to want to make it "best case scenario" for their own personal perception. It doesn't matter at this point, since Brady chose to move on via the transfer portal, as did several others. I'll continue to root on the Big Red, and hope the ones who left can make things work well on their own volition. Go B1G or go home.

We have a new coach, a new system and a number of players coming in that are being brought in because they fit that style.  Is that correct?  If true, if that new coach identifies a player or players that likely do not fit that new system, isn't it fair and reasonable to have a discussion with that player or players advising them of that observation.  As a player, I likely would not like to hear that observation, it is only natural.  But wouldn't it be better to hear that information now, and then a decision can be made to stay or go?

My current take is that conversation likely took place with Brady, Thor and Amir.  The conversation could have been that the new Nebraska system will be fast pace with a premium placed on the three point shot.  Does Brady, Thor and Amir have that three-point game?  Amir and Thor may have taken that critique and said they want to stick it out and prove they can adapt.  Brady may have taken the critique as I want you out of here and is leaving.

Sure, there may have been more texture to the discussions or the discussions may have been entirely different.  But I am not about to critique a new staff for wanting their players.  Coaches, especially today, must prove themselves sooner rather than later, and to have to wait a year or two before you have "your own" players can create fan bases and administrators to become fractured; which seems to be a familiar theme here.

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

It all seems like much ado about nothing.  In today's highly-charged environment, my reaction on reading the tweet was who, and why, is someone trying to do a hit piece on Husker Basketball. 

It is getting so bad that I don't even know just what I'm supposed to get outraged about anymore.  :Redface:

which is itself an outrage, so.......hmmm......brilliant....;)

7 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We have a new coach, a new system and a number of players coming in that are being brought in because they fit that style.  Is that correct?  If true, if that new coach identifies a player or players that likely do not fit that new system, isn't it fair and reasonable to have a discussion with that player or players advising them of that observation.  As a player, I likely would not like to hear that observation, it is only natural.  But wouldn't it be better to hear that information now, and then a decision can be made to stay or go?

My current take is that conversation likely took place with Brady, Thor and Amir.  The conversation could have been that the new Nebraska system will be fast pace with a premium placed on the three point shot.  Does Brady, Thor and Amir have that three-point game?  Amir and Thor may have taken that critique and said they want to stick it out and prove they can adapt.  Brady may have taken the critique as I want you out of here and is leaving.

Sure, there may have been more texture to the discussions or the discussions may have been entirely different.  But I am not about to critique a new staff for wanting their players.  Coaches, especially today, must prove themselves sooner rather than later, and to have to wait a year or two before you have "your own" players can create fan bases and administrators to become fractured; which seems to be a familiar theme here.

Exactly.  The guy is being paid over $3M and expected to win and take this program to the next level. If he sees fit that someone is not a fit for progress and is wasting both sides time by staying and not continuing to contribute than so be it.  I dont see the lost players as a big loss at this point. 

They're not.

Could brady have become a solid B1G player?  Yeah probably.  I don't think anyone was disappointed in him overall.

But do we really want to wait 3 years for a solid player in the age of transfers that can get you a new one every year if that's what you want?

When you get in that loop you're talking about being a good TEAM roughly every 3-4 years... and when things go bad (see: last year) you end up waiting 6-8 years for real runs.

Miles built a solid team... that collapsed due to injuries.   Hoiberg wants to build a consistently good team.  Yeah you'll have bad stuff happen but it will be less devastating.

The people complaining can't see the forest for the trees.  It would be one thing if he was a superstar type guy.. but he isn't. 

And fit matters.  Period.

Note:  I concentrated on Brady because well.. Nebraska is Nebraska and they'll defend the hardworking hometown kid every time.  Even if the team is better off in a different direction.

Edited by kleitus

The bottom line is that most who post on this board are too rational to be newsworthy. News items today must be  "bombshells" which outrage , demean, or denigrate some segment of the audience in order to be worthy of attention. The players who were mentioned all seem to be good kids, and the new staff is simply trying to succeed in the job they accepted. Let's just wish them all well with their decisions and turn the page.

17 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

The bottom line is that most who post on this board are too rational to be newsworthy. News items today must be  "bombshells" which outrage , demean, or denigrate some segment of the audience in order to be worthy of attention. The players who were mentioned all seem to be good kids, and the new staff is simply trying to succeed in the job they accepted. Let's just wish them all well with their decisions and turn the page.

There you go using reason.