Roster Attrition

7 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Hope they have some plan to get a legit center in here. Gonna get pounded in big ten play in the post w our current roster. Time will tell 

Today is his 35th day on the job. I know it’s been a productive first 34 days. It seems like something big happens everyday. But if you ask me it’s a little early to be worrying given his (and the rest of the staff’s for that matter) short time on the job and the work he’s done in that time. 

7 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Trusting what he's doing and agreeing with how he's doing it are two very different things, and I think that's why there's been pushback.

Where was this pushback when Miles “mutually parted ways” with Bakari Evelyn, Dedoch Chan and Jacob Hammond? He even told the media about the tough conversations he’d have to have with some players following certain seasons.

This happens every year all over college basketball, with coaches who actually recruited the players they end up letting go. It sucks, but it happens. And the players understand it. 

18 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Where was this pushback when Miles “mutually parted ways” with Bakari Evelyn, Dedoch Chan and Jacob Hammond? He even told the media about the tough conversations he’d have to have with some players following certain seasons.

This happens every year all over college basketball, with coaches who actually recruited the players they end up letting go. It sucks, but it happens. And the players understand it. 

Again, not sure there are very many here, very few based on the comments, that are unhappy Fred is upgrading talent, or at least appears to be, lived in the Show-Me State long enough I need to be shown (the kool-aide has left a bad taste several times over the years), upgrading it.  I am thrilled with what he has done in the first month.  I think the rub with "how he is doing it" is most likely not his doing per say but someone else in the program.  They spilled the beans about kids being let go and a internet website writer who was told spilled the beans it appears before it was official or every one had been talked to.  At this point, it's probably time to move on and wait for the next big verbal.

If a kid is asked to leave, can they really stay? I guess what im asking is does their scholarship get pulled so they essentially cant stay or do they just get encouraged to leave but they are still on scholarship if they choose to stay?

36 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The difference is that guys found out on the internet before they found out from their coach. They deserve better.  That is why there is pushback. 

22 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Again, not sure there are very many here, very few based on the comments, that are unhappy Fred is upgrading talent, or at least appears to be, lived in the Show-Me State long enough I need to be shown (the kool-aide has left a bad taste several times over the years), upgrading it.  I am thrilled with what he has done in the first month.  I think the rub with "how he is doing it" is most likely not his doing per say but someone else in the program.  They spilled the beans about kids being let go and a internet website writer who was told spilled the beans it appears before it was official or every one had been talked to.  At this point, it's probably time to move on and wait for the next big verbal.

I also am curious as to the timing on Brady's decision. The OWH quoted Brady as saying Fred told him an hour before his accounting final. That seems pretty unnecessary and where my biggest beef is. If true, what's the harm in waiting 3 more hours? Or doing it a week ago? Or doing it on Friday after finals are done? 

I'm all for upgrading talent. I'd like it to be done with a little bit of empathy.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

If a kid is asked to leave, can they really stay? I guess what im asking is does their scholarship get pulled so they essentially cant stay or do they just get encouraged to leave but they are still on scholarship if they choose to stay?

Yes

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-becomes-1st-major-conference-to-guarantee-scholarships/

3 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

I also am curious as to the timing on Brady's decision. The OWH quoted Brady as saying Fred told him an hour before his accounting final. That seems pretty unnecessary and where my biggest beef is. If true, what's the harm in waiting 3 more hours? Or doing it a week ago? Or doing it on Friday after finals are done? 

I'm all for upgrading talent. I'd like it to be done with a little bit of empathy.

He had a meeting an hour AFTER his last final. Which is when he was asked to leave. 

18 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The difference is that guys found out on the internet before they found out from their coach. They deserve better.  That is why there is pushback. 

Is this still speculation, or do we have confirmation that this is the case?  I'm not interested in placing blame or making judgements here, just wondering if we know for sure...

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Is this still speculation, or do we have confirmation that this is the case?  I'm not interested in placing blame or making judgements here, just wondering if we know for sure...

Why would Brady have a meeting with Hoiberg to tell him something that he already knew from Hoiberg?

Never a good time to tell someone you are moving in another direction. Pull the band-aid off, tell them its better for both parties to go another direction, help them find a new home. 

Idk if this was handled super sloppy or not, I really haven't noticed how other new coaches have handled it. Seems like the OWH has had a tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill with MBB over the last few months though. People love drama. 

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

I have been told this was addressed in Rival's weekly update.  It is a pay thread and I am not a member so I can't go read it. 

Since Robin’s comments on this topic are a clarification of prior public comments, I’ll provide a summary.  Robin said about his report on players expected to leave the program:

—he reported accurately but regrets being unaware of conversations that still “needed to be had.”

10 hours ago, HoiBall said:

Fred knows what he’s doing. He’s not getting rid of kids unless he knows he can upgrade. This is what it means to be a big time program. Nebraska is now a destination 

You sure about that, bro?

season Team
2018-19
NEBNEB

GP GS MPG FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
30 0 8.5 0.8-1.4 59.5 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.6 29.4 0.8 1.0 1.7 0.1 0.5 0.1 1.1 0.2 1.8

season Team
2018-19

GP GS MPG FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
27 0 7.8 0.6-1.0 53.6 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.4 50.0 0.6 0.9 1.4 0.2 0.3 0.0 2.0 0.3 1.3

1 minute ago, PointGuard said:

Has to suck for Harris and anybody else who is recovering from surgery are being asked to leave.  It would have to limit the number of quality schools that would offer a scholarship for a recovering player.

I agree that would be the case for Karrington Davis if we were talking about Karrington Davis.  I do not agree, for a variety of reasons, that would apply to Amir Harris.