Roster Attrition

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Just caught up reading on this.

Those of you who said “Yikes” hit the nail on the head.

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Just caught up reading on this.

Those of you who said “Yikes” hit the nail on the head.

Is it yikes? Does it matter at this point?  He's obviously upgrading the talent to be successful.  If these people leave they hardly played or had an impact on the program.  Yeah you don't want players to leave but I'm all for upgrading the talent. This team already looks tougher and more competitive than in awhile although that may not show in year 1.

3 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

I highly disagree with that. But whatever floats your boat. 

4 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I know college sports is a business and a big business at that but I still cringe at the notion that we are asking scholarship players to transfer.  The whole system is grossly unfair for the players and unless they transferred to a lower division, these three will likely have to sit out a year and wouldn't be eligible for a waiver to play immediately...another topic for another day.

Nature of the business.  Im sure they could get waivers to play right away and no need for them to stay if they will never see the court.

What seems strange (and there may be a better word to use) is that Husker Basketball or the Athletic Department has done nothing to refute the story.  Perhaps it is not their place or duty to respond to rumors, but geez, these are 19 and 20 year olds we are talking about.  

The above said, when I first heard the "story" I was not surprised.  Whether a few ex-players stay or not, we truly will see a whole new product on the floor next year.

Edited by Huskerpapa

11 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

What seems strange (and there may be a better word to use) is that Husker Basketball or the Athletic Department has done nothing to refute the story.  Perhaps it is not there place or duty to respond to rumors, but geez, these are 19 and 20 year olds we are talking about.  

The above said, when I first heard the "story" I was not surprised.  Whether a few ex-players stay or not, we truly will see a whole new product on the floor next year.

As long as they didn't hear the news by stumbling upon it online. If they heard it from a coach, fine. I hope they just weren't ready to make it public and not that they hadn't told the kids yet.  But anyone who's been paying attention couldn't be surprised by this news.

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

Is it yikes? Does it matter at this point?  He's obviously upgrading the talent to be successful.  If these people leave they hardly played or had an impact on the program.  Yeah you don't want players to leave but I'm all for upgrading the talent. This team already looks tougher and more competitive than in awhile although that may not show in year 1.

Nature of the business.  Im sure they could get waivers to play right away and no need for them to stay if they will never see the court.

My yikes isn’t letting them go.  If that’s how Fred wants to do it, I’m all for it.  My yikes is the fact that the players may or may not have known.  My yikes is because it was reported that a player was leaving who, according to him, isn’t leaving.  So yes, it’s a yikes on the way it has went down so far.

Bruno Fernando just announced today he's staying in the NBA Draft, which isn't a big surprise. One wonders if NU's roster openings being significantly shrunk in recent weeks might make Roby at least consider committing one way or another before too long. Huskers will likely hold a spot, just spit-balling here.

6 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

After Heiman airballed that layup in the B1G Tourney it just felt like that was a pivotal moment. Obviously Miles lost all faith after that.

Unfortunately scholarships are 1 year renewable agreements. They work both ways -- players can choose to leave as well without being asked. That being said, I am pro-athletes in that I feel like they need ongoing freedoms to leave and receive pay and/or stipend (a whole other issue). My guess is Washut dropped the info because he wasn't told not to, but was contacted shortly afterward and removed it. One would hope the staff would be talking with the kids before being a source to the media, but that's not always the reality.

Hoiberg and crew value being able to shoot above all else ... Heiman, Amir and Thor all are not known as being able to shoot. Sadly, that was an ongoing problem for Miles's recruits. It's been a problem in the program for quite some time. I can't really remember that many players over the last 15 years who really worried another team with their shooting. Was Paul Velander in that 15 year time frame?

Pretty sure that B1G athletic scholarships are not 1 year renewable.  It is a conference rule that those scholarships are good for as long as the athlete still has eligibility to play at that school.  That doesn't mean a coach can't strongly encourage a player to leave, but the scholarship can not be pulled.

I think everyone needs to relax a little bit. Every player from last year's team already had individual meetings with the coaches. Everyone should know more or less where they stand or what the situation is. I highly highly doubt they told anyone that they were 100% bringing them back, only to go and sign 8 new players to scholarships or whatever it will be and then tell them oops, sorry. This week is finals week and then all the players will focus 100% on basketball and basketball decisions.

Plus read more closely into the tweet: #Nebrasketball guard Amir Harris tells me he hasn't released any information to anyone that he's leaving. The plan remains for him to stay at Nebraska and rehab his knee. "My main focus is my recovery," he said.

-He "hasn't released any information to anyone that he's leaving."   He did not say he's NOT leaving. He did NOT say he's returning. He said he hasn't announced anything.

-"Plan remains for him to stay at Nebraska and rehab his knee"    He can stay at Nebraska and rehab his knee for the first few weeks of summer while still planning to transfer. That is certainly a possibility.

-"My main focus is my recovery."    As it should be. Need to get healthy with the doctors and trainers you trust and then see what's next. Notice he didn't say "My main focus is my recovery and getting ready for next season...or my recovery and getting to work with the team this summer...or my recovery so I can be ready for the Italy trip this summer...etc"

The more I type the more I am convinced this is much ado about nothing and it will be settled in a couple weeks.

Edited by GoBigFred

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

My yikes isn’t letting them go.  If that’s how Fred wants to do it, I’m all for it.  My yikes is the fact that the players may or may not have known.  My yikes is because it was reported that a player was leaving who, according to him, isn’t leaving.  So yes, it’s a yikes on the way it has went down so far.

May or may not have known? So if its known who cares?  And Amir never said in his words he is not tranferring and staying to play bball.  I think a bit of over reaction.  It will sort itself out

1 hour ago, GoBigFred said:

I think everyone needs to relax a little bit. Every player from last year's team already had individual meetings with the coaches. Everyone should know more or less where they stand or what the situation is. I highly highly doubt they told anyone that they were 100% bringing them back, only to go and sign 8 new players to scholarships or whatever it will be and then tell them oops, sorry. This week is finals week and then all the players will focus 100% on basketball and basketball decisions.

Plus read more closely into the tweet: #Nebrasketball guard Amir Harris tells me he hasn't released any information to anyone that he's leaving. The plan remains for him to stay at Nebraska and rehab his knee. "My main focus is my recovery," he said.

-He "hasn't released any information to anyone that he's leaving."   He did not say he's NOT leaving. He did NOT say he's returning. He said he hasn't announced anything.

-"Plan remains for him to stay at Nebraska and rehab his knee"    He can stay at Nebraska and rehab his knee for the first few weeks of summer while still planning to transfer. That is certainly a possibility.

-"My main focus is my recovery."    As it should be. Need to get healthy with the doctors and trainers you trust and then see what's next. Notice he didn't say "My main focus is my recovery and getting ready for next season...or my recovery and getting to work with the team this summer...or my recovery so I can be ready for the Italy trip this summer...etc"

The more I type the more I am convinced this is much ado about nothing and it will be settled in a couple weeks.

Long term? You're right.

Short term? We're not talking about a single guy telling people he's moving on and it's leaked out...we're talking about multiple guys so it's certainly someone(s) from within the program. Someone(s) F'ed up and it's not a good look.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Long term? You're right.

Short term? We're not talking about a single guy telling people he's moving on and it's leaked out...we're talking about multiple guys so it's certainly someone(s) from within the program. Someone(s) F'ed up and it's not a good look.

Yeah, I'd be ticked if I were Amir, Thor, or Brady. No matter whether each of these 3 wanted to be in Lincoln or not, this 'news' seems to set the course for all three to *not* be in Lincoln much longer, as it seems to indicate none are likely as wanted by the new staff as they may have previously thought...

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

According to Sjuuts on 10/11 ( for whatever that’s worth) Harris is planning on returning. Of the 3 mentioned, I’d say he is the most likely to stay & I would hope be a real contributor.

While Amir might want to stay, that doesnt mean the coaching staff wants him to stay... That seems to be the thought with all 3 players... This decision is not 100% by the player, it is the coaching staff.

8 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

However, if the player wants to stay and still thinks he is good enough to play here, it would be difficult for the coach to actually force him to leave and lose his scholarship. Just ask Robbie Benson and G.D. Spradlin. 

A fine basketball movie

25 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

While Amir might want to stay, that doesnt mean the coaching staff wants him to stay... That seems to be the thought with all 3 players... This decision is not 100% by the player, it is the coaching staff.

This is a bit like what Mike Daum was facing when Otzelberger took over.  The coaches didn’t think he had it and Mike worked his tail off to improve his game.  We all know the rest of that story.  

Amir has the athleticism to compete and excel at this level.  Is he capable of, and have the time to, develop a good three point shot to prove the coaches wrong?  I would think his window is pretty small.

Edited by busticket

12 minutes ago, busticket said:

This is a bit like what Mike Daum was facing when Otzelberger took over.  The coaches didn’t think he had it and Mike worked his tail off to improve his game.  We all know the rest of that story.  

You are mis-remembering this as Daum had just finished his redshirt freshman year leading the team in scoring and rebounding despite only averaging 20 mpg. He was the Summit League 6th man of the year and Summit League first team by the time Otzelberger arrived there. 

It was Nagy who wondered if he'd whiffed on the scholarship and Mike put in the work during his redshirt year.

11 hours ago, Wayne Pesek said:

Pretty sure that B1G athletic scholarships are not 1 year renewable.  It is a conference rule that those scholarships are good for as long as the athlete still has eligibility to play at that school.  That doesn't mean a coach can't strongly encourage a player to leave, but the scholarship can not be pulled.

So all three could tell Fred "all the way with a red hot poker" and he couldn't take their scholarships?

15 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

So all three could tell Fred "all the way with a red hot poker" and he couldn't take their scholarships?

It's sort of a two way street here but this is accurate.  Most guys are not going to stick around if a coach tells them they aren't going to play.