Roster Attrition

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Oh I understand Robin was in a rush to be first, but shame on him if he didn't wait for it to be official.

If those guys are planning on transferring that's one thing. If they were not planning on transferring then it's a whole other thing.

11 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I know college sports is a business and a big business at that but I still cringe at the notion that we are asking scholarship players to transfer.

I care less about asking players to transfer, than I do about them being notified of their upcoming transfer from a group of reporters trying to break a story. I think it's fine to advise a player to seek other opportunities if it's obvious they're not a fit in your system. If they choose to stay (because they like it there or whatever), make it work. But the kid should know whether he has a chance to see playing time or not.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If those guys are planning on transferring that's one thing. If they were not planning on transferring then it's a whole other thing.

The tweets from Harris make it clear he was planning on rehabbing unless like said above, he is doing a PR thing.  My gut is telling me Robin screwed the pooch.

If true I hope they feel pretty confidently they have more dudes lined up (they probably do). Thor should not be a surprise. I like Amir and think he could be a player but if the staff thinks they can recruit a similar athlete who does not need to rebuild his shot then I can not blame them. Heiman to me kind of sucks unless he wants to leave, hate burning in state kids like that. He might not ever pan out but I would like to give him a year to see.

That at would mean we still need 5 more guys for next year. Oh well in Fred I trust, should be exciting to see how it plays out.

Just now, GATA said:

While folks are blaming the media for releasing the names and trying to be first, the real problem is with the source giving Robin the names without it first being discussed with the players. 

That is wrong too.  But the source telling Robin and whomever at 247 got told, didn't put it out in a forum where the players potentially could learn they were being let go.

Just now, GATA said:

While folks are blaming the media for releasing the names and trying to be first, the real problem is with the source giving Robin the names without it first being discussed with the players. 

Yeah. That's a problem.  But you want access?  You were the one who reported?  You better be the one to say you're sorry.  Even if you didn't do anything wrong.

The only way it really matters is if the kids didn't know yet, which I think @hhcmatt mentioned above.

After Heiman airballed that layup in the B1G Tourney it just felt like that was a pivotal moment. Obviously Miles lost all faith after that.

Unfortunately scholarships are 1 year renewable agreements. They work both ways -- players can choose to leave as well without being asked. That being said, I am pro-athletes in that I feel like they need ongoing freedoms to leave and receive pay and/or stipend (a whole other issue). My guess is Washut dropped the info because he wasn't told not to, but was contacted shortly afterward and removed it. One would hope the staff would be talking with the kids before being a source to the media, but that's not always the reality.

Hoiberg and crew value being able to shoot above all else ... Heiman, Amir and Thor all are not known as being able to shoot. Sadly, that was an ongoing problem for Miles's recruits. It's been a problem in the program for quite some time. I can't really remember that many players over the last 15 years who really worried another team with their shooting. Was Paul Velander in that 15 year time frame?

3 minutes ago, GATA said:

2 minutes ago, colhusker said:

That is wrong too.  But the source telling Robin and whomever at 247 got told, didn't put it out in a forum where the players potentially could learn they were being let go.

They also didn't contact said player (trying to firm up the story) and possibly break the news directly to him.

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Right... but there’s a great way to keep it off the Internet: Don’t tell the media. And if you do, you tell them it off the record and state it exactly that way. Obviously neither happened in this case. 

Edited by GATA

4 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm guessing the kids were told, it was just not made official yet.  Guys I hope you understand that we are all part of the problem being on a board that centers around basketball recruiting  news.

I'm not part of the problem.  I might be part of the problem IF I was one of the people who were paying Rivals to have advanced notice of breaking news -- their "premium content" as it were.  They put stuff behind a pay wall and their business model requires them to have stuff there that isn't known to the general public yet.  So they have to get scoops and run them from time to time or people won't subscribe.

But I don't pay for that access. I'm happy to find out about it by reading rank speculation on Twitter from people who might not actually know anything. So, that makes me part of a different problem.

10 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm guessing the kids were told, it was just not made official yet.  Guys I hope you understand that we are all part of the problem being on a board that centers around basketball recruiting  news.

I highly disagree with that. But whatever floats your boat. 

While this is not a good look for Robin, he normally is a pretty good/fair dude. I sure hope he didn’t break the news for any of those three. If he did he owes them an apology but let’s be honest this social media world puts a lot of pressure on journalists.

Doesn’t make it right but things happen.

I am still hoping Heiman were to learn a thing or two. Love some of Amir’s game but they are recruiting similar guys so shouldn’t be hard to fill.

Thor was never good enough for this level but seemed like a good dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunate circumstances of the news aside, I have to assume that this shared by ppl close to the program.

That leads me to believe that Hoiberg and Co have some silent verbal committs. Who are they?

Jayce Johnson, Kevin Cross, and Yvan Ouedraogo all visited last weekend. Maurice Calloo, Joel Ntambwe, and JTT all visited a couple weeks ago. Am i missing anyone else who has visited that is not already committed? Is anyone else scheduled to visit?

20 minutes ago, khoock said:

Unfortunate circumstances of the news aside, I have to assume that this shared by ppl close to the program.

That leads me to believe that Hoiberg and Co have some silent verbal committs. Who are they?

Jayce Johnson, Kevin Cross, and Yvan Ouedraogo all visited last weekend. Maurice Calloo, Joel Ntambwe, and JTT all visited a couple weeks ago. Am i missing anyone else who has visited that is not already committed? Is anyone else scheduled to visit?

Well, underclassmen on the team also take spots away from 2020 recruits and there's limits the Big Ten places on how many players you can oversign by. I think it's just as plausible we're clearing space to make room for 2020 kids who have yet to commit. We're in on a lot of them. If we sign 2 bigs from the group that has visited, we only have room for like 2 more 2020 recruits even if Roby doesn't come back. We're not cranking out all these offers with the expectation of just taking 2 more guys.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, underclassmen on the team also take spots away from 2020 recruits and there's limits the Big Ten places on how many players you can oversign by. I think it's just as plausible we're clearing space to make room for 2020 kids who have yet to commit. We're in on a lot of them. If we sign 2 bigs from the group that has visited, we only have room for like 2 more 2020 recruits even if Roby doesn't come back. We're not cranking out all these offers with the expectation of just taking 2 more guys.

We're talking either grad transfers or open scholarships to make this happen.

There will probably be another round of grad transfers after guys actually graduate from school here in the coming weeks.