Roster Attrition

3 minutes ago, bkamler said:

Unless he got a scholarship it may be financially foolish to stick around.

He wants to be a Div-1 coach. No idea how skilled Trueblood is in that department but I'm looking at how Hoiberg has promoted people around him and if Johnny has got it then the same could happen here. 

6 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don’t see how Amir fits into Hoibergs offense unless he somehow develops a jumper in the offseason. But hopefully he will stick around for next year. If so I feel good about our guards. I’m assuming Roby is gone, so the staff will need to dig deep to find help at the 4-5. 

I actually think Fred will really like Amir besides the jumper. He is a guy who can get rebounds and steals and immediately turn into a fast break. He can then finish or make passes, playing with pace will help him a lot. Plus Fred will really help him work on his jumper. Im expecting him to have a big role if he sticks around, very versital which they like.

Edited by Art Vandalay

46 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Amir Harris locked his twitter account so take that for what it's worth as far as him sticking around

IIRC, didn't he tweet his approval of the Hoiberg hire last weekend? I don't see that tweet on his profile now, so maybe it was deleted? Very strange...

1 hour ago, bkamler said:

Does Trueblood have a year of eligibility left?

During warmups in the last two home games I watched Costello shoot and several times he hit over ten threes in a row nothing but net...why he didn’t play really baffled me.

When I was 20 I could, too. I also had no hope of getting off ten clean shots against Div 1 competition. 

It's sorta like combat (but not at all like that): targets don't shoot back, so they're much easier to hit than the real thing. 

7 minutes ago, tcp said:

When I was 20 I could, too. I also had no hope of getting off ten clean shots against Div 1 competition. 

It's sorta like combat (but not at all like that): targets don't shoot back, so they're much easier to hit than the real thing. 

And, a peach basket is a lot larger than today's rim...?

So today is the day Hoiberg is holding individual player meetings. Aside from Roby, we will probably know who is staying/going in the next couple days.

- Johnny Trueblood: 60% good spark plug who knew his role. Has the option to play again but has already graduated. Could return, transfer (Omaha?) or hang it up and pursue coaching.

- Dachon Burke: 90% chance he stays. Good defender and slasher. Also just used his RS year so he wont willingly want to transfer idt.

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson: 50% good passing and intangibles. There is rumblings he wants to go home and play pro.

- Nana Akenten: 25% good shooter and has great athleticism. Team standing is uncertain. But Hoiberg was a good track record of setting "culture killers" right

- Amir Harris: 80% high energy player who provides good versatile D and attacking the basket. Doesnt quiet have the shooting

- Brady Heiman: 90% local kid with size. He shot 3's in high school so he has that going for him. Not sure how he fits in defensively

- Karrington Davis: 90% not much is known. Seems like he would have some tools that would fit well into Hoibergs system, if healthy.

Last year of Sadler (scholarship players)

Four guys were graduating and Doc had 5 recruits lined up (we kept Benny and Shavon)

Seniors

0    Toney McCray    G    Sr.    Grad
3    Brandon Richardson    G    Sr.    Grad
23    Bo Spencer    G    Sr.    Grad
25    Caleb Walker    G    Sr.    Grad

Others

14    Christopher Niemann    C    Jr.    Medical
21    Brian Diaz    C    Jr.    Pro
5    Josiah Moore    G    Fr.    Trans
12    Corey Hilliard, Jr.    G    Fr.    Released
============================================================

We had 11 scholarship player (or 12 if you count Peltz)

Back (5)

24    Dylan Talley    G    Jr
15    Ray Gallegos    G    Jr.
13    Brandon Ubel    F    Jr.    

2    David Rivers    G    Fr.    
32    Andre Almeida    C    Sr.  

Recruits (3)

3    Benny Parker    Fr.
14    Sergej Vucetic    Fr.
31    Shavon Shields    Fr.

Transfers/Redshirt (3)

1    Deverell Biggs    Jr.
5    Terran Petteway    So.
35    Walter Pitchford    So.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

So today is the day Hoiberg is holding individual player meetings. Aside from Roby, we will probably know who is staying/going in the next couple days.

- Johnny Trueblood: 60% good spark plug who knew his role. Has the option to play again but has already graduated. Could return, transfer (Omaha?) or hang it up and pursue coaching.

- Dachon Burke: 90% chance he stays. Good defender and slasher. Also just used his RS year so he wont willingly want to transfer idt.

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson: 50% good passing and intangibles. There is rumblings he wants to go home and play pro.

- Nana Akenten: 25% good shooter and has great athleticism. Team standing is uncertain. But Hoiberg was a good track record of setting "culture killers" right

- Amir Harris: 80% high energy player who provides good versatile D and attacking the basket. Doesnt quiet have the shooting

- Brady Heiman: 90% local kid with size. He shot 3's in high school so he has that going for him. Not sure how he fits in defensively

- Karrington Davis: 90% not much is known. Seems like he would have some tools that would fit well into Hoibergs system, if healthy.

If you add up your % and let's slap a 15% on Roby you are setting the odds at 5 guys coming back and I'd say between 4-6 sounds right though I'd chose lean towards 4 at this point. We have one recruit right now in Arop and we'll see which of the other two guys come.

Our roster is probably 5-9 guys. To me it's not a question of whether or not there will be a scholarship for Trueblood....it's how long the powerpoint presentation should be to try and get him to come back on scholarship for another year.

And we thought depth was rough this year....

I wonder if Hoiberg will leave some spots open or if he will go heavy on guys who can play right away for 1 year.

Lots of new faces.

I actually think Roby comes back.

My prediction on who stays/goes:

TrueBlood- Gone- Last year was magical and i think he will move on to coaching.

Borchardt- GONE- No idea if he can get a waiver but he is a fighter and I could see him back but maybe a stretch

Roby- BACK- Could be a 1st team all big ten

Akenten- GONE- I sort of hope we show him the door but with depth issues who knows.

Burke- BACK- Going to be REALLY good I think

Thor- BACK- I dont know if he fits the style but I think he gives it a shot with hopes of playing time.

Harris- BACK- concerned he hasnt proven to be a great shooter but he has the size and athletic ability to help us!

Heiman- BACK- Will be used in a role that should fit him better. He had moments last year where the talent is obvious. A good coach can help that.

Davis- BACK- Simply because he has no where else to go. Like others have said, WHO KNOWS?!?!

Adams-Woods- BACK- I think the bring on Armon Gates and after looking at the market, Mika stays

Jervay Green- BACK- Could be special in Hoibergs offense.

Arop- BACK- Already known. I dont have any idea how much he can help now, but in two years I think he could be a key helper.

So with that we currently would be looking at this for depth:

C- Heiman

F- Roby/Thor/Davis/Arop

G-Burke/Green/Harris/Adams-woods

Still leaves us at 4 open schollies. Could be wrong on Adams-woods, so with that in mind, maybe 5 open scholarships. Major need for Bigs and a PG.. Actually needs at about everything. 

I would like to see us add 3 guys who can play now and 2 transfers who sit out a year. for the 3 open spots, I would like to see two grad transfers(or any decent JUCO) and then 1 freshman. Ideally get a Grad transfer at the 1 but who knows who will even be available. 

My ideal hope would be:

C- Heiman/Grad Transfer

PF- Roby/Freshman

SF- Thor/Davis/Arop

SG- Burke/Green

PG-Grad Transfer/Harris/Adams-Woods

Edited by Minnesota_Husker

1 hour ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

And we thought depth was rough this year....

I wonder if Hoiberg will leave some spots open or if he will go heavy on guys who can play right away for 1 year.

Lots of new faces.

I actually think Roby comes back.

My prediction on who stays/goes:

TrueBlood- Gone- Last year was magical and i think he will move on to coaching.

Trueblood texted Hoiberg asking for a meeting. He wants to be a college coach and playing for this guy could help on the resume and Hoiberg has been know to give folks who play/work for him a leg up.

The roster is going to blow up regardless.  This was a clear risk of making a coaching change.  Some players you'd like to keep who have other plans and won't be back; others, you'd just as soon found another home for various reasons.  Below is what I would hope to keep and how I'd hope to spend the remaining spots if I had them to spend:

Returning bigs:

Roby (1 yr)

Heiman (3-4 yrs)

Returning guards:

Burke (2 yrs)

Davis (4 yrs)

Recruits to keep in the fold (all):

Arop (4 yrs)

Green (2 yrs)

Adams-Woods (4 yrs)

Needs (assuming all of the above):

Graduate transfer big (1 yr)

Graduate transfer point guard (1 yr)

Regular transfer big (sit plus 2-3 yrs)

Regular transfer big (sit plus 2-3 yrs)

Regular transfer SG (sit plus 2-3 yrs)

Regular transfer PG (sit plus 2-3 yrs)

Assuming we could get some quality grad transfers, that would allow Hoiberg to field a decent roster for next season and offer 3 spots next fall to HS seniors (including Donovan Williams) whom he'd have a decent amount of time to scout and recruit. He'd also have an immediate infusion of talent to begin year 2.

We'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm inclined to think the roster is going to look way different next year than how it projected at the end of this last season.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Trueblood texted Hoiberg asking for a meeting. He wants to be a college coach and playing for this guy could help on the resume and Hoiberg has been know to give folks who play/work for him a leg up.

I wonder if he would give Trueblood a scholarship knowing it would be just a one year deal.  Would give you a team leader and a sort of player/coach and then give you an open scholarship for next year when you have more time to recruit.

1 minute ago, atskooc said:

Full message

I’m thankful for Nebraska for being my home over the last three years. Coach Miles, the staff, my teammates and fans have embraced me, and I am truly grateful for everything. With that being said, I would like to announce that I am declaring for the NBA draft. I have full believe in my ability to help a team at the NBA level, but as I gather valuable feedback regarding my NBA status throughout this process, I will be maintaining my collegiate eligibility in order to keep all of my options open and to ultimately make a decision that will be in the best interests of my long-term success. 

18 minutes ago, atskooc said:

This feels like an AWIII kind of announcement.  He's keeping his college eligibility, but he doesn't say it's so he can return to Nebraska.

My guess is we've seen the last of Roby in Husker red.

Don’t think he is graduating and no way he goes and sits somewhere. It is NBA (probably) or back to NU if he does not get draft assurances