Roster Attrition

On 11/13/2019 at 2:50 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

Amir Harris, who transferred out, has received a waiver for immediate eligibility. Shamiel Stevenson, who transferred in, still awaits his waiver decision. #Huskers

In the grand scheme of the Fred Hoiberg era, I realize this will be a blip on the radar.  But I still don't understand why Fred gave Amir Harris his walking papers.  If he had brought in a bunch of studs to replace him, I could understand, but I would take Amir Harris over many (most?) guys on this current roster in a heartbeat.  Amir couldn't shoot a lick, but neither can anyone one this current team.  Amir had length and athleticism, could drive and finish and was a very good defender. 

44 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

In the grand scheme of the Fred Hoiberg era, I realize this will be a blip on the radar.  But I still don't understand why Fred gave Amir Harris his walking papers.  If he had brought in a bunch of studs to replace him, I could understand, but I would take Amir Harris over many (most?) guys on this current roster in a heartbeat.  Amir couldn't shoot a lick, but neither can anyone one this current team.  Amir had length and athleticism, could drive and finish and was a very good defender. 

That's not really true, though.

Every single player in the rotation, including Kavas who is shooting 40% from 3, is shooting significantly below their career number. Kavas is about 5% below his numbers. But when I look at Mack, Green, Cheatham, Burke and Curtis, they're all at least 15% below what they shot at their previous stop. This isn't an ability issue. It's a familiarity and comfort issue. As they get more used to playing with each other and at this level, those numbers will most likely return to their career numbers. It doesn't always happen, but it's very likely that most of them will.

We're still in small sample size territory. There was going to be a two game stretch where they shot like this somewhere in the season. Probably more than one. I haven't really seen anyone on the floor this year I'd trade for Harris, though.

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

Amir had issues beyond not being able to shoot. I would not trade anyone on the current roster for Amir.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, LK1 said:

Not knowing what said issues may have been, I'd like to have Amir and Heiman.

That said, a freed Stevenson would certainly help me forget.  He's the #1 thing I'm trying to keep in perspective.  Unique talent.  

I'd like to have Heiman. And, obviously, Shamiel Stevenson sooner than later. I'm beginning to think that NU is trying to get 2+ years out of S.S. so he'll be eligible yet this winter such that he will still be classified as a SOPH & play roughly 20-25 games this season....

Edited by AuroranHusker

15 hours ago, atskooc said:

Well, he’s clearly not eligible for the entire season, as he’s already missed three games. 

It would be a very NCAA thing to do to grant his waiver in February 2020.  

Congrats!  You're eligible for the 2019-2020 season!  

Surely one can deny a waiver, right?

52 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

The entire season, well, becomes the remaining part of the basketball games on the 2019-20 schedule, so "what's left" would be the entire season to Shamiel. 😉

Oh, I get that. 

I just don't like the prospect of getting him for "an entire season" knowing that won't be the case.

I say at this point, just punt the request and keep him for next year.

Perhaps since he played 4 games at Pitt as a sophomore, the NCAA is waiting until after our fourth game to grant him eligibility as a sophomore. An argument could be made that he has then sat out one year (redshirt year) and will not have lost any eligibility.

No idea if there is an evidence of the NCAA doing this in the past - purely speculation.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Chris Basnett
@HuskerExtraCB

Nice debut for former #Huskers guard Amir Harris at George Washington. 11 points, 4-4 shooting, 2-2 from three-point range, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals, 2 assists. His first points since the game-winning layup against Iowa to end last season.

2 for 2 from deep? Did he even attempt 2 3s last year?

• 4 weeks later...