Nebraska vs. Creighton Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I know it wouldn’t do anything to RPI, but it might be worth exploring playing UND and UNO in the mid-week just to get some mojo back!

I would say that’s a lose lose. You gain nothing by getting a few wins and a loss really hurts the RPI. 

The team(offense) is not playing well but we have zero midweek games left and 3 out of 4 series at home. Should help to get some arms fresh.  And we will need it come Big Ten tournament time considering our pitching depth is lackluster. 

4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The team(offense) is not playing well

Did some research. According to NCAA website we are......199th in Homers......196th in Doubles...........171st in Stolen Bases..........287th in Sacrifice Bunts.

We literally are doing nothing to manufacturer runs. Hard to string together walks and singles to try and score. If you don't hit for power you better try and steal bases and advance runners. If you can't advance runners, well then you better be able to hit for some power. Right now we're doing none of it. 

@huskerbaseball13 I know we've discussed this in the past, but DE needs to develop some sort of strategy to score runs. We've hit this skid every year since Bolt left, and it's because if we get cold and stop stringing together singles, we can't score.

Have to recruit different type of offensive players.  I know I have said this a lot, but Erstad clearly doesn't get it.  Need more tools.  Bigger faster players with higher ceilings and then teach them how to play baseball better.  Trying to string together so many singles to get runs is a tough road to hoe.  

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

Did some research. According to NCAA website we are......199th in Homers......196th in Doubles...........171st in Stolen Bases..........287th in Sacrifice Bunts.

We literally are doing nothing to manufacturer runs. Hard to string together walks and singles to try and score. If you don't hit for power you better try and steal bases and advance runners. If you can't advance runners, well then you better be able to hit for some power. Right now we're doing none of it. 

@huskerbaseball13 I know we've discussed this in the past, but DE needs to develop some sort of strategy to score runs. We've hit this skid every year since Bolt left, and it's because if we get cold and stop stringing together singles, we can't score.

Good research.  The rumor mill around Erstad since he has taken over the offense has always been people questioning his ability to teach the game to a bunch of college kids.  He's as good as it gets when it comes to understanding the game and understanding the analytical side of things. But, that doesn't necessarily means he knows how to relate and teach the game to college kids.  That's why I still think he would be best served jumping to the majors if he gets the chance again.

We have far too many kids that come into this program that either plateau early or marginally get better.  Guys like Altavilla and Roskam are a prime example of that.  Perhaps Erstad is still learning but until we have a recruiting philosophy change and/or Erstad becomes better at the developmental side I'm not sure our offense will ever be where it needs to be.  Erstad has always said that he wants his offense to put pressure on opposing defenses.  Unfortunately, his lineups more times than not doesn't really reflect that.

But, hopefully the offense can somehow get hot the last few weeks.  While our pitching depth is questionable, our starts have done their job all year.