Nebraska vs. Creighton Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

We've only lost one midweek game... against a team that is nearly 20 spots better than us in the RPI... Not sure where you're going with "midweek is the difference?  Did we never lose a midweek game when we were "rolling?"

I understand that you try to take offense to anything you perceive as negative but I was really referring to our talent level and not this particular loss. 

And that’s nothing against Perry who could end up a really good pitcher down the road but right now we don’t know what we will get out of our 4th starter come tourny time. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

I understand that you try to take offense to anything you perceive as negative but I was really referring to our talent level and not this particular loss. 

And that’s nothing against Perry who could end up a really good pitcher down the road but right now we don’t know what we will get out of our 4th starter come tourny time. 

Funny.  If I truly took offense to anything I perceived as negative, I would reply to most all of your posts.  I haven't in quite some time actually.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Funny.  If I truly took offense to anything I perceived as negative, I would reply to most all of your posts.  I haven't in quite some time actually.

Some people like you simply can’t handle the truth. And the truth may be negative. That’s fine that you choose to be delusional. More power to you. 

But, I will debate our midweek starters under Erstad vs our best of teams whenever you want if you actually want to get down to it. And I don’t even blame Erstad for that. It’s partly a product of moving to the Big Ten. 

6 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Midweek is one of the biggest differences between our program now vs when it was rolling.  More often than not we have to trot out a young kid like Perry and you are just not sure what you are going to get from them. 

Hopefully the team can put it behind them.  Penn St is another bad baseball team that we could potentially sweep and get to 10-2 in conference play. 

2005, our best team used Johnny Dorn, a freshmen pitcher, as a mid week starter.  We were 12 - 2 in midweek games that year.  In fact, we lost the season series to Creighton 1 - 2 that year.  However, we went 2 - 0 against Creighton in the regionals.  This year, we are 4 - 1.

7 minutes ago, brfrad said:

2005, our best team used Johnny Dorn, a freshmen pitcher, as a mid week starter.  We were 12 - 2 in midweek games that year.  In fact, we lost the season series to Creighton 1 - 2 that year.  However, we went 2 - 0 against Creighton in the regionals.  This year, we are 4 - 1.

Yeah and Creighton was a very good team in 2005.  We also had a guy named Tony Watson that would eat up innings mid week. 

I don’t think it was a reach with me saying our pitching depth is not what it was but hey to each their own. 

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeah and Creighton was a very good team in 2005.  We also had a guy named Tony Watson that would eat up innings mid week. 

I don’t think it was a reach with me saying our pitching depth is not what it was but hey to each their own. 

That pitching depth was ridiculous and why we were near the national leaders in ERA that year.  We had Joba, Kroenke, Duensing, and Watson.  (All MLB pitchers).  I doubt we will have 4 pitchers make the Majors, ever again.  All of them were from Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas.

My point was that one of our best team's started a very good freshmen pitcher in mid week games.  Our pitching has been pretty good since the Sam Houston game.  Prior to that game, we gave up 5 runs or more in 8 of our first 10 games.  In our last 17 games, we gave up 5 or more runs 4 times.  

13 hours ago, brfrad said:

That pitching depth was ridiculous and why we were near the national leaders in ERA that year.  We had Joba, Kroenke, Duensing, and Watson.  (All MLB pitchers).  I doubt we will have 4 pitchers make the Majors, ever again.  All of them were from Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas.

My point was that one of our best team's started a very good freshmen pitcher in mid week games.  Our pitching has been pretty good since the Sam Houston game.  Prior to that game, we gave up 5 runs or more in 8 of our first 10 games.  In our last 17 games, we gave up 5 or more runs 4 times.  

To be fair, you are comparing apples to oranges right now when talking about freshman Johnny Dorn vs Freshman Kyle Perry.  By years end, Dorn was in the starting rotation in place of a guy who has been years in the majors(Duensing.). And the other weekday guy was Tony Watson. But, I don’t expect us to have a Johnny Dorn every year but if people actually believe that our pitching depth now is equivalent to our haydays in the Big 12 they are dreaming.  Again, I don’t see how that comment would upset some. 

As for the pitching staff this year it looks like we have solidified our starting rotation and they have been nails thus far in Big Ten play. But to my point, luckily thus far they have been able to go far into games because our bullpen is shaky right now.  Our bullpens ERA is 5.2. Not horrible, but not good.  Hopefully they can get Luensmann going because he will be a key cog down the stretch. 

• 2 weeks later...