Tim Miles out as Nebraska Basketball coach

I love you Tim. He was the anti-Pelini in so many ways: likeable, spoke to the people, won a ton of upsets and lost a bunch of "easy" games. He was also the most scrutinized coach in Nebraska basketball history. 

If Hoiberg is hired let's not all collectively thank moos (good job moos), but let's thank Tim for being cool, funny, and making nebrasketball a potential powerhouse

7 hours ago, royalfan said:

Other than a small misstep he made getting recorded while at dinner with some cold verbage regarding Petteway, I agree with everything Norm said.  I will chalk that up as "locker room talk" mostly, since it was supposed to be private dinner with his assistants, not something that should have been recorded.  

I think he can be very successful one peg down, as he is more comfortable coaching without as many quality big men to compete with IMO.  

Huh, I don't recall the recording. Did Miles mention how many bad shots Terran took...... I can imagine that Timmy is a no-holds-barred type of conversationalist in tight ranks.

7 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

Can't say anything better than whats already been said in this thread.  Very reflective, pensive evening for me.  Good luck coach Miles, and thanks for all your hard work the last 7 years.  Nothing but best wishes for your future.

Agreed on that. I will always appreciate that The Vault was lit, and it's gotta be because Miles upped the ante. That's nothing but respect from me. The Lincoln Library look at BDSC in the latter years made me sad. PBA has been a boon for Nebrasketball, time to keep the hype & heart train on an upward trajectory under the new head Husker! GBR !!!

Tim had his flaws. Big men, offensive scheme, & proper rotations were the main things imo.

Tim also left this program far better than when he arrived. Not many Nebraska basketball coaches can say.  He did benefit from new facilities, but he recruited his butt off and had the right personality to turn it around.

If Nebraska becomes relevant under Hoiberg or whom ever, Tim & TO deserves credit for building the foundation.

Edited by northwillriseagain

8 minutes ago, demone said:

I've been searching for a thread to add my thoughts...

I am truly disappointed in how this has ended for Coach Miles. I wanted him to succeed in the worst way and it pains me to no end that sometimes, the good guy doesn't win.

Coach Miles has done more for Nebraska Basketball than any coach in the past 20 years and I sincerely like the man. I've had a chance to meet him and he will always be a part of simultaneously the best and worst night of my life:

Back in 2014, I was invited to a private dinner at a country club in Omaha where the guest speaker was Tim Miles. He was phenomenal that night, telling stories and genuinely having fun. At the end of the night, I had a chance to ask him about his version of the motion offense. 15 minutes later, he had diagrammed multiple options for me on the table using empty beer bottles. It was fantastic and something I will never forget as long as I live.

It turns out though, that 15 minutes was something I couldn't really afford to give. Returning home that night and pulling into my garage, I was approached on either side by 2 men pointing guns at me. Without going into a lot of detail, they forced themselves into my apartment and ransacked the place while I lay face down on the floor.

Like I said, the best night ever talking ball with Coach Miles turned into the worst night of my life, wondering if I was going to be shot in the back of the head.

I wanted to share that story because it is an incredible memory, both good and bad. Thank you Coach, for all you have done for Nebraska basketball and for providing fans like me more access to the program than I ever dreamed possible. While it didn't work out in Lincoln, I look forward to cheering for you at your next stop.

This story deserves its own thread.  Please start it!

31 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

This story deserves its own thread.  Please start it!

I wouldn't know where to begin to do that @cipsucks but I do appreciate the sentiment. If one of the mods wants to move it (so I don't screw up this thread), that would be more than fine. Otherwise, I just wanted to share the story - if anyone can appreciate the good/bad analogy, it's those on this board.

4 minutes ago, demone said:

I wouldn't know where to begin to do that @cipsucks but I do appreciate the sentiment. If one of the mods wants to move it (so I don't screw up this thread), that would be more than fine. Otherwise, I just wanted to share the story - if anyone can appreciate the good/bad analogy, it's those on this board.

?

14 hours ago, demone said:

I am truly disappointed in how this has ended for Coach Miles. I wanted him to succeed in the worst way and it pains me to no end that sometimes, the good guy doesn't win.

Coach Miles has done more for Nebraska Basketball than any coach in the past 20 years and I sincerely like the man. I've had a chance to meet him and he will always be a part of simultaneously the best and worst night of my life:

Back in 2014, I was invited to a private dinner at a country club in Omaha where the guest speaker was Tim Miles. He was phenomenal that night, telling stories and genuinely having fun. At the end of the night, I had a chance to ask him about his version of the motion offense. 15 minutes later, he had diagrammed multiple options for me on the table using empty beer bottles. It was fantastic and something I will never forget as long as I live.

It turns out though, that 15 minutes was something I couldn't really afford to give. Returning home that night and pulling into my garage, I was approached on either side by 2 men pointing guns at me. Without going into a lot of detail, they forced themselves into my apartment and ransacked the place while I lay face down on the floor.

Like I said, the best night ever talking ball with Coach Miles turned into the worst night of my life, wondering if I was going to be shot in the back of the head.

I wanted to share that story because it is an incredible memory, both good and bad. Thank you Coach, for all you have done for Nebraska basketball and for providing fans like me more access to the program than I ever dreamed possible. While it didn't work out in Lincoln, I look forward to cheering for you at your next stop.

Wow, amazing story. What a night!

Regarding the Miles country club dinner, I may have attended that with you. Tim was great in that setting, and treated the fans awesome with great insight, inside info, and shared his basketball knowledge (contrary to the loud minority, he knows his X's and O's).  I believe donors tried to have these dinners with Doc and Collier - just can't imagine that it would have been any fun...

The good news for the future is that Miles has left everything in good shape.  It's not like new coach is taking over 5 or 10 win team.  22 wins and 19 wins, just one step short of tournament.  The new coach doesn't need to "turn around" anything, just needs to take the next step.

15 hours ago, demone said:

Wow, this is horrible....  they ever catch the bastards????

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Wow, this is horrible....  they ever catch the bastards????

It's a long story but they caught 1 of them - he's now residing in Lincoln for the next 35 years (he had been in and out of prison several times in the past). We don't know who the 2nd one was but think they were brothers. No way to know for sure.