Hank Bounds

hhcmatt

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah think about trying to run a large business and every year told to do better than this year but with less money.

I think that is one big reason for him leaving.

I absolutely admire everyone who is/was in the education business.  Thank you for your service. 

Think about trying to run a large business where you never have to generate profits.  Every year you tell the share holders to keep forking dollars over.  Limited number of share holders.  Unlimited number of students.  Do the math.

8 minutes ago, GATA said:

Do all the fallen dominos lead to us hiring Hoiberg still?

All I know is I don’t believe this was in the cards. Bounds very well could have thrown a major wrench into things. Not that it won’t happen, but it has changed the landscape for sure.

17 minutes ago, BugeaterZ said:

I'm not finding the puns nearly as funny as when I posted one earlier. This really might be the most Nebrasketball thing ever.

Season ended 24 hours ago, relax and let the thing play out. Not saying it won’t be a complete sh*tshow, but too soon to know at this point.

puns were funny at first, but they're getting increasingly stale in the mouth as this gets more dire and serious a situation... a university in leadership turmoil is not a great sign for landing that big hire we so desperately need. But I'm thinking all of this change and upheaval could be a great thing, something that needed to happen for a long time now. maybe this is a good thing, but only if it leads to getting the right people in the business in power here, all working towards athletic dept (and academic) success long term. We need everyone pulling in the same direction (as Frost). ?

40 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Every year you tell the share holders to keep forking dollars over.  Limited number of share holders.  Unlimited number of students.  Do the math.

I believe the math = infinity, because:

1. limited number of shareholders is a rationale number, regardless of what that limited number is

2. Unlimited number of students is infinite

3. Infinity divided by any rationale number is still infinity

My math might be a bit fuzzy though, since it's been a long time since I've taken calculus at Dear Ol' NU.  Oh, and my majors were Econ and Finance, and from I read on the board these days you only know what you're talking about if you majored in P.E.  So apparently I'm an idiot and everyone should double check my math.  Especially the guy that majored in teaching gym class, because he totally knows what he's talking about.

6 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

puns were funny at first, but they're getting increasingly stale in the mouth as this gets more dire and serious a situation... a university in leadership turmoil is not a great sign for landing that big hire we so desperately need. But I'm thinking all of this change and upheaval could be a great thing, something that needed to happen for a long time now. maybe this is a good thing, but only if it leads to getting the right people in the business in power here, all working towards athletic dept (and academic) success long term. We need everyone pulling in the same direction (as Frost). ?

tHank you for this post.  No matter how serious  the situation, there is Bound to be a small segment of the population that make inappropriate comments or jokes at inopportune times.  

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

tHank you for this post.  No matter how serious  the situation, there is Bound to be a small segment of the population that make inappropriate comments or jokes at inopportune times.  

Wish there was an angry emoji reaction for moments like these.? Lol nice one. ?

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I believe the math = infinity, because:

1. limited number of shareholders is a rationale number, regardless of what that limited number is

2. Unlimited number of students is infinite

3. Infinity divided by any rationale number is still infinity

My math might be a bit fuzzy though, since it's been a long time since I've taken calculus at Dear Ol' NU.  Oh, and my majors were Econ and Finance, and from I read on the board these days you only know what you're talking about if you majored in P.E.  So apparently I'm an idiot and everyone should double check my math.  Especially the guy that majored in teaching gym class, because he totally knows what he's talking about.

OMG I think I just peed myself.?

9 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

I don't think Bounds leaving can be a good thing for the athletic department. In the short term it will at least give Hoiberg reason to reconsider, though it doesn't mean he will change his mind.

It's hard for me to imagine a president more supportive of and active in athletics, so in the longer term it'sprobably bad, though it could be neutral.

Given the makeup of the Regents with their history of supporting athletics and the fact that most of them are responsible for hiring Bounds, this change is unlikely to be coming from them. So it's either truly Bounds choice or it's coming from the governor or there is a scandal coming.

The timing is extremely unfortunate if itss Bounds' choice. Why announce your resignation when you're about to hire your 2nd most well known and highly compensated employee?

Very Good Article!  

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/bounds-time-was-short-but-impactful

Sean Callahan • HuskerOnline.com

Bounds had seen enough. He stepped in over Chancellor Ronnie Green and fired Eichorst. That then set the stage for Mike Riley to be let go and bring in Scott Frost.

I'm not sure Bounds will ever receive the credit he deserves for how things played out the last year in Lincoln, but I truly believe without him none of it  would've happened.

Edited by Red Don

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Not that anyone is saying this but If you say out loud 'Bounds waited until Nebraska basketball lost to end its season to announce this thing that impacts 4 campuses and his life' doesn't that sound pretty dumb?

It does. Unless it's related to academic vs. athletic budget conflicts that he doesn't want to deal with anymore. But it's also very possible he's been eyeing this decision for awhile now.

11 hours ago, HoiBall said:

All I know is I don’t believe this was in the cards. Bounds very well could have thrown a major wrench into things. Not that it won’t happen, but it has changed the landscape for sure.

Why would the Bounds thing have any impact whatsoever on "things"?  Why would it change the landscape?

The guy to whom Moos reports -- the man who sits in the Harvey Perlman chair -- is Ronnie Green, the Chancellor, not Hank Bounds, the system President.

The only thing Bounds' announcement affects, potentially, is the timing of making another major announcement.

Seems kind of tone-deaf of Bounds, frankly, to make his announcement when he did 1) knowing he's not leaving until summer; and 2) knowing, as he must have, that an announcement regarding the job status of the head basketball coach was being eagerly anticipated.

But as far as this "could have thrown a major wrench into things" it sounds more to me like you're covering yourself just in case your 1000% correct prognostication turns out to be wrong. Which tells me you weren't as confident in your information as you originally lead everyone to believe.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Why would the Bounds thing have any impact whatsoever on "things"?  Why would it change the landscape?

The guy to whom Moos reports -- the man who sits in the Harvey Perlman chair -- is Ronnie Green, the Chancellor, not Hank Bounds, the system President.

The only thing Bounds' announcement affects, potentially, is the timing of making another major announcement.

Seems kind of tone-deaf of Bounds, frankly, to make his announcement when he did 1) knowing he's not leaving until summer; and 2) knowing, as he must have, that an announcement regarding the job status of the head basketball coach was being eagerly anticipated.

But as far as this "could have thrown a major wrench into things" it sounds more to me like you're covering yourself just in case your 1000% correct prognostication turns out to be wrong. Which tells me you weren't as confident in your information as you originally lead everyone to believe.

No I was confident and still am. Just saying the timing of this throws off some things