Hank Bounds

hhcmatt

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Was Bounds vehemently against spending millions of dollars on a new coach, lost the battle, and just up and left?

If that's the case... good riddance.

Frankly, the fact that we're going out there and getting a coach is a breath of freakin' fresh air on so many levels.   it was the exact same thing with frost.  we aren't 'settling' and paying a middling amount and stagnating anymore.

Attitude (good or bad) starts at the top and there was 10-15 years where we didn't have the wherewithal to sack up at the top.  And it showed.  Frankly, if he didn't want to pay for a coach he shouldn't have been involved in the decision process on any level.

Just now, HoiBall said:
2 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

That is a very strong possibility actually

Isn't that his call though? Why would he leave when he could just tell Bill no?

I'd imagine between the politics of boosters, athletic department, and other administration, they tried forcing his hand to pull the trigger. It's possible he knew that no matter what he did this was going to get through and he didn't want the blood on his hands of protecting the academic budget versus athletic spending, which is already tense.

All speculation. But I could see this being a factor.

16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Was Bounds vehemently against spending millions of dollars on a new coach, lost the battle, and just up and left?

Bounds really likes athletics.  He was a football GA for a school before getting into education.  I read several times last year that he frequently attended football practices.  I think his issue is with the state legislature in funding the university.