sm (owh) article...

whoopdeedoo

Article was kind of all over the map with info. Some of it pretty honest in evaluation. She was trying to be positive about next year of course. Lots of returning scoring and rebounding returning.  Said schedule will be "more balanced"...guess that means easier.

Basically says she and the team are frustrated and disappointed, and the team is "hurting" about the last season. "Missing post season play is not why the recruits come here". Seemed like a lot of disappointment with the losses..for all of reasons they failed, and things that happened...things that went wrong. 

"Chemistry was good, but almost too differential" ..what ever that means? 

Spoke about ...not having a consistent go to player in crunch time. (I've mentioned that here several times)  Also... "team seemed to lack a true rudder" ...upper class leadership ? We "missed the leadership and defense of Wood, Cincore and Morton" from last year.

Named several players by name. Said "Cain can dominate games more than she thinks". "Hannah's game trended downward this season." "Haiby is gifted scorer and the best at driving to basket. "Brown has natural scoring talent" "Kissenger is best shooter".    ............No surprises here. 

Will do sit downs with the players to access their resolve, and what is needed to move forward.   ...see "where their mind set is at"

Like we pretty much have said here , Coach says we were close but didn't get over the hump, as necessary to be more successful. Coach seems to be real positive about .....Will be much closer next year to where we need to be.... with the help of the Australian Bourne. (Coach puts a lot of importance on a new comer...hope it works out)

You would have to read the article...I've only hit some highlights. 

"We'll be better" ...Last season was frustrating...Have good returning players.... will have new help....  Need a go to player.  ..thinks they'll have better chance of getting to NCAA's. .....

"The pieces are there"

Edited by redsteve

thanks for the info. appreciate it. i remember coach mentioning on sports nightly (since about big ten mid-season) that they miss a "consistent" scorer. this season didn't do any favors for recruiting---but, i think coach is smart enough to sell the future. 

hannah and kate started to play more like we expected late in the season. although, i still get a bit nervous with hannah's ball handling. she can get her pocket picked. 

thanks again.

4 hours ago, redsteve said:

Article was kind of all over the map with info. Some of it pretty honest in evaluation. She was trying to be positive about next year of course. Lots of returning scoring and rebounding returning.  Said schedule will be "more balanced"...guess that means easier.

Basically says she and the team are frustrated and disappointed, and the team is "hurting" about the last season. "Missing post season play is not why the recruits come here". Seemed like a lot of disappointment with the losses..for all of reasons they failed, and things that happened...things that went wrong. 

Spoke about ...not having a consistent go to player in crunch time. (I've mentioned that here several times)  Also... "team seemed to lack a true rudder" ...upper class leadership ? We "missed the leadership and defense of Wood, Cincore and Morton" from last year.

Named several players by name. Said "Cain can dominate games more than she thinks". "Hannah's game trended downward this season." "Haiby is gifted scorer and the best at driving to basket. "Brown has natural scoring talent" "Kissenger is best shooter".    ............No surprises here. 

Will do sit downs with the players to access their resolve, and what is needed to move forward.   ...see "where their mind set is at"

Like we pretty much have said here , Coach says we were close but didn't get over the hump, as necessary to be more successful. Coach seems to be real positive about .....Will be much closer next year to where we need to be.... with the help of the Australian Bourne. (Coach puts a lot of importance on a new comer...hope it works out)

You would have to read the article...I've only hit some highlights. 

"We'll be better" ...Last season was frustrating...Have good returning players.... will have new help....  Need a go to player.  ..thinks they'll have better chance of getting to NCAA's. .....

"The pieces are there"

I think it was a damned good article as a end-of-season wrap-up.   Sam is easily the best friend we have in the media.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:10 AM, redsteve said:

Perhaps that was meant to be "deferential" (misheard or misquoted?), i.e., some were not aggressive enough or willing to take charge?

The next part of your summary seems to indicate that was what was really meant.

11 hours ago, NUtball said:

Perhaps that was meant to be "deferential" (misheard or misquoted?), i.e., some were not aggressive enough or willing to take charge?

The next part of your summary seems to indicate that was what was really meant.

The E-edition of the OWH does say "deferential".   (Saturday 23rd edition)  Context would also fit.  The example was related to a last second shot wound up in 

Mershon's hands.  One of the better scorers should have taken charge.

Thank you Sam!   I think they had the 'pieces' this year to do much better (ie. make post-season) than they did, but not the experience. There was only one Senior on the team (Maddie) and Grad transfer Kristian Hudson was unable to play.  Looking forward to what next season brings.  :Cheer2:

20 hours ago, Red Don said:

Thanks for the Date/edition @12dozen.  I found the link to the article (but you are correct, one must be a subscriber to view it).

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/mckewon-amy-williams-husker-women-are-bullish-on-future-even/article_3cd66e40-7b83-579d-816e-5964626b22f9.html

It's viewable, now.

FYI.

20 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Amy has a lot of fire this offseason. I think there's a sense they're close and could be pretty good next year if players make "the leap." 

Thanks Sam.  If I may ask a question, did you get a feel for how the approach is different this off season?  Player development seems to be the core element, to fielding a new and improved version in 2019/2020.  What are the coaches and staff doing differently, to help players make "the leap"?  

OK - So I have viewed this forum for years. Big WBB fan. I think a big question for this team is who will be the leaders this off season, and into the next season? This year lacked leadership. If they are to move forward then Hannah, and Nicea need to step up. Also think we need to see more from Sam, and Leigha as well. Maybe Williams should talk to Cook to get some advice as he has it figured out.

Edited by All About the Corn
spelling

2 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

OK - So I have viewed this forum for years. Big WBB fan. I think a big question for this team is who will be the leaders this off season, and into the next season? This year lacked leadership. If they are to move forward then Hannah, and Nicea need to step up. Also think we need to see more from Sam, and Leigha as well. Maybe Williams should talk to Cook to get some advice as he has it figured out.

Have a blue blood program and thus get 5 star player year after year.  Thats what Cooks advice would be. 

36 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I know we missed the senior leadership a year ago, but I wonder if we would have been a bit stronger if Blackburn has been able to keep playing.  She had fire and attitude and I really missed seeing her on the court.

Such a shame her career was cut short!  Here are Best Wishes for her Coaching Career!