BIG teams in NCAA

kansashusker

Off topic,  but I am very impressed by South Dakota State reaching the Sweet 16.  That program is impressive using mostly small town girls from the Upper Midwest.  They are fundamentally sound which helps offset their lack of size and not being as athletic as the Power 5 schools.  UCLA is on the verge of knocking off Maryland, which indicates that the B1G is still behind the other Power Conferences in WBB.  

4 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Big was better this year overall than n the last few years. 5 teams in final 32 is pretty solid just don’t have anybody who is truly in hunt for final 4 most likely   Women’s b-ball there are still about 5 programs that r usually just better than next 15 

Do you think UConn is on the way down, with th transfers and things?

11 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Uconn may not rattle off 80 straight or anything again soon but they r still elite. I do think a little more parity is slowly creeping into upper echelon of women’s b-ball 

There's no question more 'parity" has developed in the last few years. There's a top 10 or so that are in place, and can beat about any other top 10 team on a given night.

But there are 4 or 5 still at the top, year in and year out. Most sports are like that...men's or women's.

The top 10 to 20 ranked teams have players, that could play on the more elite teams. More and more parity creeps in as time goes on, and more skilled young kids come up through club teams & H.S.'s

Women's Club teams (all sports) have exploded in the last 10 years. We just need to get more....our share. 

Watching the NCAA's (and NIT), amazing the numbers of outstanding and athletic bigs that can dominate inside. Iowa's an example we've seen up and personal.

That seems to be one of the keys for many teams that get far in the tourneys. Not all, but most.

And outstanding go to guard scorers that can carry the team so to speak...score and make assists. More and more really good coaches too.

Iowa's the only B1G team left in the NCAA's.  

Fun to watch Missouri State (their coach probably won't be there much longer...some power 5 will want her) and South Dakota St are giving it a run for their money.

Edited by redsteve

11 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Uconn may not rattle off 80 straight or anything again soon but they r still elite. I do think a little more parity is slowly creeping into upper echelon of women’s b-ball 

Ya next year is going to be rough for UCONN.. Only 1 top 100 player is coming in for them. They only play 6 players this year and are losing 2 of them. So they will be down to 5 legit players next year. They have a whole bench of ok players that Geno is trying to turn into great players. Hopefully they show it next year or it might be the year UCONN loses in the American finally.

Notre Dame beat Tx A&M...good game to watch..hard fought by two excellent teams.. Almost no subbing by either team....it's crunch time for sure.

Shepard played real well....don't think she sat at all. Pretty close to a double double...maybe 20 points.  She looked a lot thinner....then the announcer said she  has lost 30 plus pounds...she moves better now.  She fits ND style perfectly. Good to see the Nebraska girl do well.

Edited by redsteve

25 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Notre Dame beat Tx A&M...good game to watch..hard fought by two excellent teams.. Almost no subbing by either team....it's crunch time for sure.

Shepard played real well....don't think she sat at all. Pretty close to a double double...maybe 20 points.  She looked a lot thinner....then the announcer said she  has lost 30 plus pounds...she moves better now.  She fits ND style perfectly. Good to see the Nebraska girl do well.

I was rooting for Jess.  Felt strange cheering for Notre Dame.  Glad she is graduating.  ?

Watching the Miss St - Oregon game.

Surprisingly bad officiating......Miss St has gotten hosed several times. So has Oregon too 

Oregon runs such a simply offence...lots of  "give and goes" of every form possible. Efficient at scoring.  Doesn't relay on 3 shooting. ....As soon as I say that they start drilling 3s

They have as good a starting 5 as anybody.  Ionescu reminds me of Leigh Brown...with 4 yeas of polish and experience. ? 

Edited by redsteve

Parity?

You guys do realize that all four #1s and all four #2s made the elite 8, right?

And "Goooo Iowa" on a Husker site?! Really?

Just because you don't care for Mulkey?

If Iowa is playing the devil, in anything...I'm rooting for the devil!