Coaching Carousel 2019

hhcmatt

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

So, St. John's managed to really eff up (and I mean REALLY eff up) a coaching search and wound up with a decent hire after all.

But they have some boosters with big money who are incredibly pissed and want the heads of the AD and President on a platter.

What are they mad about?

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

What are they mad about?

They're mad about how the university totally messed up the coaching search. It was a catastrophe.  It truly was.  They had guys come in to meet, leave without accepting the offer and then withdraw from consideration in very embarrassing fashion.

It was like an object lesson in what not to do when undertaking a coaching search.  Amateur at best.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

They're mad about how the university totally messed up the coaching search. It was a catastrophe.  It truly was.  They had guys come in to meet, leave without accepting the offer and then withdraw from consideration in very embarrassing fashion.

It was like an object lesson in what not to do when undertaking a coaching search.  Amateur at best.

Maybe St. John's could hire Steve Pedersen, to truly understand the depths of a dire situation. ?

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, they have a coach now and it isn't even August yet!

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tcp said:

Howard already being tabbed UMs next coach in media within last hour. 

Huge risk for the wolverines, since he's never been a head coach. And he's never coached in college. 

Huge reward if he's like Hoiberg or Penny. The blueprint is there and the Michigan brand is strong

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Huge reward if he's like Hoiberg or Penny. The blueprint is there and the Michigan brand is strong

I'm assuming that's the gamble. This might be heresy on this board, but I'd prefer a strong Michigan program to a weak one. So whomever they hire, I hope they don't flush all of Beilein's work down the toilet. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

The brand is strong but who knows if he will follow blueprint?  If it was a longtime assistant maybe, but even then it is not guaranteed.  For Michigan’s sake I hope he doesn’t go Jay Williams and flip the culture (which was an incredibly idiotic take by the way). 

The pro’s for hiring Howard is he is a famous alum, probably a lifer, and will be popular with the fan base.

The unknowns are can he coach and recruit?  NBA assistant, never a HC, never coached in college. Can he teach and lead college age kids/men?  Big question marks in my book.

If I was Michigan I would prefer Howard cut his teeth at a smaller job first, similar to Frost.  It could work out, ala Hoiberg, but if they go this route it will be a big gamble.  Will be fun to see how it unfolds.