Coaching Carousel 2019

hhcmatt

Just now, HuskerFever said:

It sounds like he did. The problem is that the list seemed to be just as unrealistic as Nebraska's list was for the 20 years prior to this year.

20021221pederson_230.jpg

"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity,"

16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It sounds like he did. The problem is that the list seemed to be just as unrealistic as Nebraska's list was for the 20 years prior to this year.

I think Nebraska’s list under  SP was semi realistic.....it just sucked.  UCLA’s list was pie in the sky......SP’s list contained IIRC: Dave Wannstadt, Houston Nutt, Al Saunders, the DC for the Cowboys, then Bill Callahan.  UCLA’s list was much better, and totally unattainable.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

This is true. Although had you told me Hoiberg would come to Nebraska just a few months ago I would have told you that you're crazy.

1 hour ago, huskerbill85 said:

This is true. Although had you told me Hoiberg would come to Nebraska just a few months ago I would have told you that you're crazy.

That's exactly right. And although Moos has seemed to pick the "most obvious" hires, his current tenure can be summed up as a guy who has been able to seal the deal. And that might be an underrated skill in that field.

3 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

I think that was a common belief...

After Hoiberg left Iowa State...I felt that there were only two jobs in college that he would come back to college....Iowa St and Nebraska...

I have a lot of Iowa state friends and they all thought I was crazy...but it just seemed like a perfect fit for his family and his midwest roots.

55 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I think that was a common belief...

After Hoiberg left Iowa State...I felt that there were only two jobs in college that he would come back to college....Iowa St and Nebraska...

I have a lot of Iowa state friends and they all thought I was crazy...but it just seemed like a perfect fit for his family and his midwest roots.

Plus, Nebraska's a better program historically than Iowa State.

Nebraska: 1,477–1,337 (.525)

Iowa State: 1,376–1,322 (.510)

Nebraska leads the all-time series vs. Iowa State 131-103

Do they know this at WHO-TV in Des Moines?

Edited by jayschool

7 hours ago, busticket said:

I think Nebraska’s list under  SP was semi realistic.....it just sucked.  UCLA’s list was pie in the sky......SP’s list contained IIRC: Dave Wannstadt, Houston Nutt, Al Saunders, the DC for the Cowboys, then Bill Callahan.  UCLA’s list was much better, and totally unattainable.

That DC for the 'Boys is now the Head Coach for the Vikes, Mike Zimmer, who was the best candidate back then, in my opinion. He wanted to be a pro HC, which took him roughly a decade longer to achieve... but probably worth the wait, considering the S.P. factor.

Edited by AuroranHusker