Coaching Carousel 2019

hhcmatt

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I thought you said it was a done deal.

It is, unless something with the landscape changes. Chris Beard was the coach at UNLV for 4 days. We could have a press conference introducing a new coach, but if prohm were to leave it might not matter

Probably worth mentioning on the carousel thread: Phil Martelli out at St. Joseph's after 24 years. Fired, although he had a popular radio show, was coach of the year once, and was rather popular in Philly as an unapologetic supporter of liberal causes. He was also beaten in the finals of the NIT by Danny Nee the year Nebraska won it. Even legends can lose their luster with not enough "W"s. And while we are talking Big Five basketball, Fran Dunphy (a John Chaney product) retired at Temple after the Belmont loss.

Edited by jimmykc

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

It is, unless something with the landscape changes. Chris Beard was the coach at UNLV for 4 days. We could have a press conference introducing a new coach, but if prohm were to leave it might not matter

How’s that relationship with Pollard? I’ve heard some say it’s not the best

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

Prohm is making 2 Million I believe and Hoiberg at ISU was making 2.6 before he left.  If the rumors are true about us paying 4 million and more importantly paying his assistants a nice chunk of change, I would guess ISU will need to pony up.  I'm also not so sure it would be a given that Hoiberg would want to go back to ISU.  If he would leave them again it would certainly tarnish his legacy.

21 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Probably worth mentioning on the carousel thread: Phil Martelli out at St. Joseph's after 24 years. Fired, although he had a popular radio show, was coach of the year once, and was rather popular in Philly as an unapologetic supporter of liberal causes. He was also beaten in the finals of the NIT by Danny Nee the year Nebraska won it. Even legends can lose their luster with not enough "W"s. And while we are talking Big Five basketball, Fran Dunphy (a John Chaney product) retired at Temple after the Belmont loss.

Who are the Big Five again? Villanova, Temple, St Joes, Penn and ....

49 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Prohm is making 2 Million I believe and Hoiberg at ISU was making 2.6 before he left.  If the rumors are true about us paying 4 million and more importantly paying his assistants a nice chunk of change, I would guess ISU will need to pony up.  I'm also not so sure it would be a given that Hoiberg would want to go back to ISU.  If he would leave them again it would certainly tarnish his legacy.

I was hearing the value will be under $4M/year, but it's been a week or so since I've heard a value.

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Uh did Vanderbilt keep Kevin Stalling's number?  What a mess!

Bryce Drew had two 5 star guys in and the PG gets injured 5 games in and poof.

It was a valiant effort on your part but I say we do not make any new threads until this is over bc they will all turn into the same thing ???

Only half way joking.

30 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Uh did Vanderbilt keep Kevin Stalling's number?  What a mess!

Bryce Drew had two 5 star guys in and the PG gets injured 5 games in and poof.

Allegedly trying to "reassign" him now so they don't have to pay his buyout. Yikes.

I'm all on board with one guy having the potential to derail a season, but one guy probably shouldn't be the difference between competing well and going entirely winless in the SEC.

On topic: Siena, like Vandy, is in a superfast-spinning carousel over the last couple years. About to name their third head coach in three years (by taking away the interim title they gave their guy like two days ago after the previous HC left after a single year for George Washington). Going back to 2000, I think that school has had more coaches than I've had Skittles in the last 20 minutes (and that is an embarrassingly large number).

25 minutes ago, colhusker said:

You're doing your best to keep this on topic

Actually i'm genuinely floored upon seeing this released today because when I was trying to figure out whether or not we would play USC or Texas Tech at the beginning of the season I saw that Vanderbilt went in and beat USC on the road and wondered how the hell they did that and then I stumbled on to their recruiting.  Drew landed TWO! McDonalds All-Americans

Then go ahead and read this

In a shocking move, Vanderbilt is terminating Bryce Drew as head coach after just three seasons, sources told Stadium.

Drew, 44, went to the NCAA tournament in his first year. The Commodores played all but five games this season without starting point guard and likely lottery pick Darius Garland, who suffered a season-ending knee injury on Nov. 23.

This is a baffling decision by new Athletic Director Malcolm Turner, who took over less than two months ago. Turner, who has no experience in college athletics, was previously the president of the NBA’s G-League for five years. One source told Stadium that the meeting to terminate Drew was the first between Turner and the coach, and also that Turner attended just one practice since arriving in Nashville.

Drew was hired in 2016 after five seasons as the coach at Valparaiso, where he went to two NCAA tournaments and a pair of NITs. The former Valpo star is best-known for his buzzer-beater in the 1998 NCAA tournament to beat No. 4 seed Ole Miss.

But Drew, the brother of Baylor coach Scott Drew, has recruited at a high level at Vanderbilt – bringing in two McDonald’s All-Americans this season: Garland and athletic Canadian forward Simi Shittu.

Vanderbilt finished 9-23 overall and 0-18 in the SEC this season, but Drew was without Garland and also had the 305th oldest team in the country.

Drew also has two players signed in the Class of 2019: forward Dyan Disu (No. 103) and wing Austin Crowley (No. 121). The Commodores also have a verbal commitment from point guard Scotty Pippen – the son of Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen.